PSVR ON PS5

BossZombieMan

The current PS VR will work on PS5 apparently. But IMHO, VR has absolutely no future. Sorry. AR is just far more exciting & accessible and will eventually replace VR. Check out this article for example:

https://www.engadget.com/2019-12-24-vr-in-2020-oculus-quest-half-life-alyx.html

VR is very much a niche product. Reminds me of Kinect*, 3D glasses and other overhyped stuff that ultimately peaked as a niche, never got passed that stage and died off. I just don't see it happening that the majority of gamers will ever embrace it. I know I won't. AR however will be huge and won't be limited to gaming either.

* I bought into that crap btw, LOL

Edited by Sifferino

19 minutes ago, trixter123 said:

new headset is coming with the new console

It would be nonsense.

12 minutes ago, Sifferino said:

The current PS VR will work on PS5 apparently. But IMHO, VR has absolutely no future. Sorry. AR is just far more exciting & accessible and will eventually replace VR. Check out this article for example:

https://www.engadget.com/2019-12-24-vr-in-2020-oculus-quest-half-life-alyx.html

VR is very much a niche product. Reminds me of Kinect*, 3D glasses and other overhyped stuff that ultimately peaked as a niche, never got passed that stage and died off. I just don't see it happening that the majority of gamers will ever embrace it. I know I won't. AR however will be huge and won't be limited to gaming either.

* I bought into that crap btw, LOL

I hope you will be wrong. I just hope it won't end up like the PSVITA (except for Ratalaika).

Edited by BossZombieMan

Surely its got to be wireless with a decent battery life (would make it more immersive and less dangerous lol)

Im hoping that (i think ive heard somewhere and mentioned here on a post) the current headset will work on ps5 so can wait a while before getting the next gen one.

I am very excited about the future of vr. I am hoping it dosn't phase out like the vita but i am sure it wont because it is the future of gaming

Edited by dannyswfc9
  • Like 2

I think we will see a VR2 headset some years into PS5. We will probably see some enhancements for the current VR headsets due to the extra processing power of the PS5. 

I don’t expect anything revolutionary out of VR any time soon as I don’t think I’ve heard about anyone finding the perfect application of VR just yet. 

8 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

LMFAO! I usually, don’t outright laugh at comments, but your’s is hilarious. AR better than VR for gaming! What planet are you on?

granted for other more mundane applications AR is awesome, but nothing beats being in a complete VR world for gaming.

To answer OP question, PSVR will work on PS5 and Sony has stated VR has a future, but they don’t want to release two pieces of pricey hardware at the same time, which makes sense. Hopefully PSVR2 will have better controllers, inside out tracking, and eye tracking with foveated rendering (plus Astro Bot 2 at launch, the original is one of the greatest games ever made!)

Yes for some games, if you move a little bit it the controlers become crazy. This is the first thing to fix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sifferino said:

AR is just far more exciting & accessible and will eventually replace VR.

AR has been around for a while but you are right in regards to accessibility. Also AR doesn't mean you need a big headset or fancy setup. 

Also, to add, Sony implemented AR technology into PS Vita and The Playroom on PS4. 

47 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I think we will see a VR2 headset some years into PS5. We will probably see some enhancements for the current VR headsets due to the extra processing power of the PS5. 

I don’t expect anything revolutionary out of VR any time soon as I don’t think I’ve heard about anyone finding the perfect application of VR just yet. 

Perfect applications of VR: Horror games, flight games, racing games, platform games.

2 minutes ago, BlakkVulture2K16 said:

AR has been around for a while but you are right in regards to accessibility. Also AR doesn't mean you need a big headset or fancy setup. 

Also, to add, Sony implemented AR technology into PS Vita and The Playroom on PS4. 

Yes, you don’t need a large headset as AR is not intended to create an entire world. Even the second version of hololense only has a tiny area in which it can overlay an small image. 

15 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Perfect applications of VR: Horror games, flight games, racing games, platform games.

I haven’t seen any novel applications of VR specifically into a game in one of those genres. All I’ve seen so far is the equivalent of wrapping a monitor around you while playing. I’m hoping a developer finds a more creative application then that. 

20 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I haven’t seen any novel applications of VR specifically into a game in one of those genres. All I’ve seen so far is the equivalent of wrapping a monitor around you while playing. I’m hoping a developer finds a more creative application then that. 

“Wrapping a monitor around you” as in placing you completely, 360 degrees, in a 3D world? Yes, that would be the “novel” application...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

LMFAO! I usually, don’t outright laugh at comments, but your’s is hilarious. AR better than VR for gaming! What planet are you on?

granted for other more mundane applications AR is awesome, but nothing beats being in a complete VR world for gaming.

Happy to bring some fun into your life, you’re welcome! And yes, VR might be better than AR currently but AR will improve dramatically in the short term while VR will stagnate. AR will offer full immersion as well, without two screens glued to your eyes. 

Save this post and come back to it in the future ?

17 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

“Wrapping a monitor around you” as in placing you completely, 360 degrees, in a 3D world? Yes, that would be the “novel” application...

If that’s the pinnacle of what developers can do differently in VR, then some people are right and it’s too limited to go much further. 

I happen to be optimistic in thinking that we are going to see more than that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sifferino said:

Happy to bring some fun into your life, you’re welcome! And yes, VR might be better than AR currently but AR will improve dramatically in the short term while VR will stagnate. AR will offer full immersion as well, without two screens glued to your eyes. 

Save this post and come back to it in the future 1f643.png

Full immersion is not AR (augmented means including the real world). If you mean VR and AR headsets will be combined then, yes, of course. But it will still have VR (full immersive mode) and AR overlay mode.

1 hour ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Full immersion is not AR (augmented means including the real world). If you mean VR and AR headsets will be combined then, yes, of course. But it will still have VR (full immersive mode) and AR overlay mode.

Alright, I think we mean the same thing. It’ll be AR first and foremost, with optional full immersive mode. Think enhanced glasses (which in ‘off’ mode are regular glasses), not VR headsets. A bit like this:

https://www.engadget.com/2017-08-20-facebook-patent-ar-glasses.html

Sign me up ?

1 hour ago, Sifferino said:

Alright, I think we mean the same thing. It’ll be AR first and foremost, with optional full immersive mode. Think enhanced glasses (which in ‘off’ mode are regular glasses), not VR headsets. A bit like this:

https://www.engadget.com/2017-08-20-facebook-patent-ar-glasses.html

Sign me up 1f609.png

Sure, it’s inevitable they will merge to some extent. The form factors will depend on primary usage most likely though, and it’s a hell of a lot easier to have a traditional VR headset with camera pass through (as some do now when marking the edges of a play area) than it is to have the AR transparent glass form that is then somehow made opaque and all encompassing. But yes, the device, whatever you want to call it, will be able to do both eventually and will get smaller (I think this is your primary reason for preferring AR glasses). The “VR” mode will always be infinitely better for gaming though, whereas the AR facility will have far more non gaming applications once they sort out the field of view issues.

• 2 weeks later...

PSVR is an absolute game changer and I don't see how anybody could look at the games releasing on VR - especially Half-Life Alyx, one of the first AAA-tier VR games - and think VR's going to slow down. It's a pain to set up, sure. But being inside a world is completely different from spectating it through a flat screen.

As for this thread subject, I've heard that Sony will delay the PSVR 2 for a while after the PS5's launch, probably to not make consumers instantly need to drop 800$ or however much. I'm very excited for the PS5's capabilities, because it'll mean a lot of PS4 games can be ported to PSVR - and not look as butt ugly as Skyrim VR did, blessed be its PS2 soul.

• Like 1

I am pretty confident SONY is working on ‘the usual suspects’ to making a PSVR more accessible to the average gamer (more AAA games, more features i.e. Big Picture-type mode, wireless), and when they do, I’ll be first in-line.  I hardly use my PSVR set now because of the awkward installation and wire hookups.  ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Starcade_Legend said:

I am pretty confident SONY is working on ‘the usual suspects’ to making a PSVR more accessible to the average gamer (more AAA games, more features i.e. Big Picture-type mode, wireless), and when they do, I’ll be first in-line.  I hardly use my PSVR set now because of the awkward installation and wire hookups.  1f633.png

I definitely feel that, it can be a pain to set up and that often makes it difficult for me to bother. I feel like wireless would be a mistake, though - I can't imagine them having a high quality screen without needing an awfully heavy battery. I guess if they could cut it down to a single wire, that would work, though.

They're definitely making big games for PSVR, slowly but surely - Astrobot Rescue Mission is just incredible, and Blood and Truth is supposedly pretty good. I think having the PS5's capabilities will do a ton to make it more appealing. Once you can have PS4 level graphics in VR, there'll be no reason not to have one (although some PSVR games already look pretty good - e.g. RIGS, Astrobot, DriveClub VR)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I definitely feel that, it can be a pain to set up and that often makes it difficult for me to bother. I feel like wireless would be a mistake, though - I can't imagine them having a high quality screen without needing an awfully heavy battery. I guess if they could cut it down to a single wire, that would work, though.

They're definitely making big games for PSVR, slowly but surely - Astrobot Rescue Mission is just incredible, and Blood and Truth is supposedly pretty good. I think having the PS5's capabilities will do a ton to make it more appealing. Once you can have PS4 level graphics in VR, there'll be no reason not to have one (although some PSVR games already look pretty good - e.g. RIGS, Astrobot, DriveClub VR)

I 100% agree.  I can just imagine some of the features that they could implement on a PSVR2 set (multi-headset games, true IMAX movie experience, voice control for squad-based games, etc).  Exciting times!  ?

Edited by Starcade_Legend
Grammar.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...