(Story spoilers) How much game will be in Remake part 2?

You

Having only Midgar in the FF remake I guess is quite a decent cutoff point to go for. However how far of the game are they going to cover in the next section?
I really hope the next part is the final one (for reasons I am about to explain) but I think it will likely be a trilogy, based on the fact there FF 13 had 3 parts and FF 10 had 2 parts.

The original game came on 3 CDs

CD 1 - Aerith
CD 2 - Weapons
CD 3 - Sandbox

There is a surprising amount of content in CD 1, it lasts for well over half the story and you get to visit almost 75% of all the game's locations, on the first CD!
The next 20% of the game on CD 2 has a few new areas like the snow mountains and outer space but mostly involves you revisiting a lot of old areas and CD 2 is very cut scene heavy with you fighing the weapons, you can race through the entire CD in about 10 hours, it is not all that long compared to CD 1.
Once you pop in CD 3 however, basically FF7 is in end game. Aside from the northern crater and ending, the final sandbox CD has no story content but allows you to go back to previous areas before you go to fight Sephiroth.

Midgar in the original game is only probably about 10% of the game and you don't really ever need to go back there once you escape. So in that respect I don't mind part 2 of the remake not being able to go back there. But are they really going to have 5 or 6 parts since part 1 only contains 10% of the game?

Once you start in the outside world though and you get the tank, then the boat and especially The HighWind, you can basically backtrack to every area in the game. Splitting up the game into more than 2 more parts is likely going to ruin this continuity. Also, since you already have lots of weapons and materia leaving Midgar I am already worried about the balance of the game, how will they make it so you can play starting FF7 remake part 2 but with no save data?! Just give the player random maxed out materia and make all chars level 50?

I guess that is a topic for a different story.

Likely cut off points for the game are at the Temple of The Ancients where CD 1 normally ends, or maybe it will be on the boat where you usually first fight Jenova? Trouble is SquareEnix went really overboard fleshing out the areas of Midgar in the remake, what are the chances that Cosmo Canyon, Junon, Mideel, The Golden Saucer. Wow. just each one of those locations alone could be like half of the next game. I can imagine The Golden Saucer being like Las Vegas, there was already a ton of content in the original FF7 just in this area alone. But if part 2 just has half or a third of outside Midgar, how on earth are you going to be able to backtrack to anywhere?

I really hope they don't have the chapter system in the next part. Having entire locations only accessible on chapter select, I didn't like that at all. Midgar is 90gb already, getting in the highwind is a key part of the original FF7 game but how on earth are they going to be able to have the whole world to explore like the original where potentially, there is still 1 or 2terabytes of content left to make.

I guess time will tell. I'm really excited for the next part but I'm also worried as well, especially with the final chapter in this version being as it is.

Edited by enaysoft

Considering max level is 50, there's probably just 1 more game. Doing 50 levels a game with 3 parts would make max level 150, which isn't really seen much. 

Also considering the ending, they can do whatever they want at this point, and I'm sure they're going to. They wouldn't make such a huge deal out of changing things if they were going to continue to closely follow the original.

One of the reasons this game even exists is because the staff of the original is getting older, and they wanted to do it before it was too late. It's probably going to be the final project for a lot of them, and I don't think they'd prolong it more than they have to. If they put the same level of detail and care into the next one, I'm sure it'll be another 5+ years until we get it, and I don't think these people are going to want to stick around another 10+ years to keep working on it. Nomura is the youngest person on the project from the original staff, and he's already 49. The other original staff are in their 50s.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Considering max level is 50, there's probably just 1 more game. Doing 50 levels a game with 3 parts would make max level 150, which isn't really seen much. 

Do you really think Square Enix is going to make only 1 more game, because the level cap in this is 50? They're gonna push the characters to level 1000 if they can profit from it. :D

• Like 3

Part 2 is going to be completely different to the original and the story will play out very differently I think. Don't expect anything like the world map being explorable because it almost certainly won't be, its going to play similar to part 1.

Major storylines will be changed for sure because it's hinted that Sephiroth knows what he needs to change. Let's just hope Square can pull it off, but I don't have much faith with the way the final chapter played out - didn't even feel like it was still the same game. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

It's difficult to try to map it to what happens on each of the original discs because:

Reveal hidden contents

The game ends with them averting their fate which would have put them on the same story as the original. The could literally go anywhere from here.

Exactly, the reason they have done this is to tell the player we are going to be making some big changes. There's such a huge part of the original story left that Square are definitely going to streamline it in some way, they are going to cut content but likely to add new content. We will see, it's going to be a long wait.

1 hour ago, ShadowReplicant said:

Do you really think Square Enix is going to make only 1 more game, because the level cap in this is 50? They're gonna push the characters to level 1000 if they can profit from it. :D

Way to ignore everything else I said. If they only wanted to milk this game, they would've done so years ago. They also wouldn't have put so much work into it. They're making this game because they want to, as a sort of send off.

30 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Way to ignore everything else I said. If they only wanted to milk this game, they would've done so years ago. They also wouldn't have put so much work into it. They're making this game because they want to, as a sort of send off.

The main reason why they're making this game is because they crunched the numbers and realized they could make millions of dollars in profit. Square Enix has been milking FF VII for years now, because the franchise is still in high demand and there is very little risk involved. Just saying, you made it sound like a bunch of friends got together and made a game for fun lol. They're putting so much work into it, because it's their job. The product needs to meet certain standards. And considering that the remake is selling like hot cakes, I wouldn't be surprised if this project ended up being much more than just a simple trilogy.

Edited by ShadowReplicant
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lesk8vaincra said:

They should do what everyone wants: a port of Crisis core, playable on PS4 or even PS Vita :D

Yeah I really don't get why the game is exclusive to the old PSP when the story to it is so important yet so many FF7 fans haven't even played it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Everything else that you said was ignored because it's nonsense. They'll release as many games as they see profitable.

6 hours ago, XileLerinril said:

No, they didn't. They said it would be a full game unto itself. I clocked in 45 hours on my first play through. Seems like a full game to me. 

How?? I did about half the side content , didnt skip a video and my first playthrough was 26 hrs.. playing at a very casual pace.

14 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

I'm sure it'll be another 5+ years until we get it, and I don't think these people are going to want to stick around another 10+ years to keep working on it. Nomura is the youngest person on the project from the original staff, and he's already 49. The other original staff are in their 50s.

I have similar views about things like Shenmue, like will I still be alive when it finally finishes? or will the developers pass away first from old age before then...

On 19-4-2020 at 4:27 PM, ExHaseo said:

Haha. They can easily let you keep all the stuff you found, but nerf everything back to a lower level in the beginning of the next game. Or, like others put it, just keep pushing into the triple digits with your level for the next entries.

You seriously can't believe they'll jam everything else in one more game. There's way too much content to pull that off, especially if they want to deepen the lore like they did with this one. But even more important: the financial prospects of this remake are huge, Square Enix is financially set for the next five to ten years, and they'll make more than just one entry. My guess? Four or five parts in total, this one included. Anything beyond that might make the audience lose interest. This doesn't need to be an ongoing thing for the next two decades. Plus: the original devs who are working on this remake said they are the ones who want to do it before they retire. Which isn't too far off, considering these guys were there back in 1997 (23 years ago) when they made the original one.

On 4/19/2020 at 9:39 PM, DemonicDraco said:

Not that much, since they lied about this one being the length of a typical final fantasy.

On 4/19/2020 at 9:55 PM, XileLerinril said:

No, they didn't. They said it would be a full game unto itself. I clocked in 45 hours on my first play through. Seems like a full game to me. 

On 4/20/2020 at 3:57 AM, DemonicDraco said:

How?? I did about half the side content , didnt skip a video and my first playthrough was 26 hrs.. playing at a very casual pace.

You can finish the original FF VII in like 30 hours. My first playthrough of Remake took me 55. :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShadowReplicant said:

You can finish the original FF VII in like 30 hours. My first playthrough of Remake took me 55. :D

55? Are people counting a easy/normal plus a hard play through or just the first.. I just dont see how it can take that long unless you have a lot of idle time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DemonicDraco said:

55? Are people counting a easy/normal plus a hard play through or just the first.. I just dont see how it can take that long unless you have a lot of idle time.

Just the first playthrough on Normal. I did absolutely everything I could, plus a LOT of exploring, walking around looking at stuff, stopping by NPCs and listening to their dialogue etc.

I don't know how much stuff you skipped or how thoroughly you were exploring, but I'd say 26 hours is pretty fast. The average (for main story + extras) seems to be 40.

Edited by ShadowReplicant

16 minutes ago, ShadowReplicant said:

Just the first playthrough on Normal. I did absolutely everything I could, plus a LOT of exploring, walking around looking at stuff, stopping by NPCs and listening to their dialogue etc.

I don't know how much stuff you skipped or how thoroughly you were exploring, but I'd say 26 hours is pretty fast. The average (for main story + extras) seems to be 40.

Did most of the quests in chapter 3, skipped the rest, did all the arena and sim stuff besides the hard only stuff searched areas pretty throughly looking for treasure.. spent a bit of time trying squats but gave up.

On 4/21/2020 at 2:04 PM, ShadowReplicant said:

This seems right, my time was 41 hours for my first playthrough with doing all the sidequests except two and collecting and exploring as much as I could.

• Like 2

On 21/4/2020 at 1:54 PM, DemonicDraco said:

Playing on Normal definitely increases the time, on Easy the enemies just melt away.