Save your MP and Pheonix Downs, Tonberry made really stupid easy

ShianKiri

Using the 300% stagger method, make sure Tifa has 2 ATB Charges and 2 Charges of Unbridled Strength.

Put Steelskin on Barret and take full control of him. When attacking Tonberry from range, he will pretty much lock into a single skill: Scourge. It does a bit of damage and binds the character, rendering them completely useless for a bit and makes them completely susceptible to Chef's Knife.

This doesn't matter.

When ever Tonberry casts "Scourge", when you see the purple wisp fly at Barret, simply use Steelskin. It will ignore the bind and Barret will take the hit.
The most important thing is making sure that Barret is in his animation of using Steelskin as it hits.

Now, the nice thing about this is your party will some times run around Tonberry and make him miss his attack which will put pressure on him. You can put a decent chunk of pressure with Cloud's focused strike. Also having Barret and his constant barrage of attacks will also eventually just naturally cause Tonberry to become pressured.

The second Tonberry is staggered, swap to Tifa.

True Strike, True Strike, Rise and Fall, True Strike, some basic attacks, some more True Strikes and just before stagger goes away, Omnistrike. In between you using True Strike, have Cloud and Barret use some abilities if they have them.

If that doesn't straight up kill Tonberry (9 times out of 10, it does), he'll at least be really, really hurt.

I've seen Tonberry use Doom and Gloom once in like 15 fights doing this, so it's rare that he'll just murder Barret, but it does happen.

--

Tonberry isn't hard and this method isn't really a solution to a massive problem, just a strategic method of attack to help get through one of the quests and battle simulators a little faster.

Edited by ShianKiri

5 hours ago, lesk8vaincra said:

was tonberry ever a problem in the first place? :D

I did say he's not the most difficult guy in the world.

What it really comes down to is when the game decides to roll a bad set against you and you have to fight him a couple of times over. He's just one of those guys where most of the time, you'll roll him over the way the game wanted you to by baiting his attacks. Other times, he decides to Scourge Tifa next to Aerith and then use Tantrum in the middle of your entire party ending your battle.

Also, once you push him past a certain HP %, he introduces his invisibility attacks and stuff. Why bother with that when you can basically skip the mechanics of even fighting him.

*shrugs*. Figured I post a nice little cheese for him in case someone is struggling.

21 hours ago, lesk8vaincra said:

was tonberry ever a problem in the first place? :D

I f*****g hate that thing....:D . To ge to Marlboro I had most problems with Tonberry.

I remember first time in side quest I was all brave and attacking against a little guy and then all of a sudden I was down. Nice experience :D