Poor Mans Resident Evil

ObsiEez

1 hour ago, GeneSaw said:

What most people don't seem to get is that this isn't a ripoff of Resident Evil, it's a tribute game. The devs are huge fans of Resident Evil and want to show that. Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery after all. I for one can't wait for this. 

It does look good I will say. Character models look straight outta PS3 era though

1 hour ago, totallycrushed said:

Steam reviews have been very positive.

The demo is live on steam right now, gonna give it a try

4 hours ago, GeneSaw said:

What most people don't seem to get is that this isn't a ripoff of Resident Evil, it's a tribute game. The devs are huge fans of Resident Evil and want to show that. Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery after all. I for one can't wait for this. 

5 hours ago, totallycrushed said:

Steam reviews have been very positive.

So I've played the demo on PC & it's pretty ok-ish. It isn't bad but it isn't great. I'll list my experiences with the demo. Keep in mind that the demo is (what I believe) to be the entirety of Chapter 1.

• Kind of a nitpick but the character models (especially faces) were pretty shitty, like early PS3 era. Still not to big a deal however.
  • The controls were a bit clunky & it didn't play very smoothly.
  • There were some areas where the game would stutter a lot, especially after finishing the computer password puzzle towards the end.
  • Some of the puzzles are REALLY confusing & don't really give you to much direction of what you're suppose to do. Now this isn't that big of a problem until you get to the computer password puzzle which I legit had to google the last password for it because I was stumped.
  • There are a few audio glitches where you'll hear a zombie growning right beside you but it's coming from a zombie that isn't suppose to be up until you progress further. Same with hearing a zombie right beside you that is no where's near you.
  • The way the ammo & reloading works sounds awesome on paper (you load your bullets into magazines & then the magazine into the gun, as you would with a real weapon) but can be extremely tedious during gun fights as some enemies (especially the big white ones that walks fast) eat bullets like a fat kid at a buffet. Plus the reload animation is super slow if you choose to not do the fast reload (which drops your current magazine on the ground for you to pick up later). Personally just find it a bit tedious as you have to keep going back into your inventory to load bullets into your magazines every 5-10 minutes.
  • The sprint doesn't always stay active when moving left or right & will sometimes just put you back to a jog which is really annoying when you're trying to get away from an enemy.

Overall I'd personally give the game, just based off the demo, about a 6/10. I'll probably still pick it up at some point, maybe during a sale, as I do love Resident Evil & I would like to support the devs of this game as they did a pretty good job for what I believe to be their first game (as that studio anyway).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aimeraya said:

I've already got 100% achievement on steam, i would say it's a good game.

Is the above complaints I mentioned prevalent throughout the entire game? I know the ammo thing probably will be since it's a main mechanic but what about the other things? Does it get better after Chapter 1 since Chapter 1 was kinda eh

3 hours ago, ObsiEez said:

Is the above complaints I mentioned prevalent throughout the entire game? I know the ammo thing probably will be since it's a main mechanic but what about the other things? Does it get better after Chapter 1 since Chapter 1 was kinda eh

The things don't change at all later in the game. The combat, the explore is just at or under the medium level. For my opinion, how you expect this game is the key.

I played so many indie or not-indie bio-like game since 2 decades and Daymare 1998 is a enjoyable game for me as a fan-made title.

I don't know how much it'll cost in PSSTORE but i think it'll be 39.99 dollars so....

12 minutes ago, silnev said:

For those who don't know the history, this was originally going to be a Resident Evil 2 remake made by fans, that was going to release back in 2015/2016, however they got a cease and desist from Capcom because they were working on the remake at the time. So it was reworked into a tribute of old Resident Evil. So I think some of gameplay aspects of the game are meant to emulate those old games. 

Yup! The studio is even mentioned in the credits for RE2 Remake in the special thanks section.

• Like 2

This game has been out for a while on Steam I own myself on there. And it's far from a poor man's Resident Evil the devs are huge fans of the series and wanted to recreate the nostalgia of Resident Evil 2 (their personal favourite). It's pretty faithful to hitting those Nostalgia vibes and feels like it could honestly be a spin off the actual series. They've also had this game in development before Capcom even revealed they were working on Resident Evil 2 Remake as well. Do it's had alot of time worked on it. Definitely picking it up again now that it's finally out for PS4.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ObsiEez said:

I mean, from the setting, plot (based off the trailer), trophy set up & the trophy icons. It's pretty clear what the game is trying to replicate. Now it's a matter if it's going to be good

I have read that this was supposed to be a non-oficial RE2 Remake (back in 2016) that they even got help from an old character designer of some original RE games. 

I think this is where Capcom saw the potential and they decided to create the RE2 Remake. 

44 minutes ago, Carttagos said:

I have read that this was supposed to be a non-oficial RE2 Remake (back in 2016) that they even got help from an old character designer of some original RE games. 

I think this is where Capcom saw the potential and they decided to create the RE2 Remake. 

1 hour ago, silnev said:

For those who don't know the history, this was originally going to be a Resident Evil 2 remake made by fans, that was going to release back in 2015/2016, however they got a cease and desist from Capcom because they were working on the remake at the time. So it was reworked into a tribute of old Resident Evil. So I think some of gameplay aspects of the game are meant to emulate those old games. 

Thank makes a lot of sense, I didn't know that since they do have A LOT of similarities aside of the obvious.

3 hours ago, aimeraya said:

The things don't change at all later in the game. The combat, the explore is just at or under the medium level. For my opinion, how you expect this game is the key.

I played so many indie or not-indie bio-like game since 2 decades and Daymare 1998 is a enjoyable game for me as a fan-made title.

I don't know how much it'll cost in PSSTORE but i think it'll be 39.99 dollars so....

Yeah I think it'd probably be around that price as well since it's somewhere close to that price on PC. My real only complaint with the game is just how the ammo works. I just find it REALLY annoying to have to keep going back into my inventory every 5-10 minutes to load more bullets into my mags. It's a really cool concept but it's just one of those things where it doesn't make a fun game mechanic, especially when you have to do it so frequently

32 minutes ago, UltraFire121 said:

This is clearly a fucking rip-off and definitely not worth it to purchase the game and platinum it at the same time.

Oh? Which part is a ripoff? If it's the part where it was a RE2 fan remake that had to halt production because of capcom so they adapted onto that and made their own game from it then hell yeah dude, major ripoff.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:54 AM, Kapika96 said:

Resident Evil 4-7 must be a hobo's Resident Evil then, since this looks better than any non-remake game bearing the RE name since RE3.

Resident Evil 5 & 6 is straight up Homeless, can't even afford soap or clothes's Resident Evil. They were trash. I quite enjoyed 7 though, especially in VR.

• Like 2