Dogurai Platinum Retrospective, Trophy tips & Deathless video

Drag-On-Detritus

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/05/2020 at 3:27 AM, sausage_jord123 said:

Cheers. The ending exploit still works but im having trouble finding all 9 NPC's .Did you have a guide you used for this?

Oh shit I forgot to put that in the OP but I used this video which funnily enough was put up by the first platinum achiever:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 4/23/2020 at 11:17 AM, Drag-On-Detritus said:

This morning I wrapped up the Dogurai trophy set & found the whole experience quite enjoyable. If you're a 2D enthusiast you'll have no issue with getting this done and if not, the challenge is still a very fair one. If you beat the game after finding all 4 floppy discs, the character you unlock attacks with projectiles which makes things much easier. The game controls very well and it's smoother than most if not all original Game Boy games so don't let the look fool you, this is a really well made title.

I saved myself an entire play through by reloading a completed Hard mode save and letting all my lives run out. This triggered the bad ending and unlocked the trophy for beating the game without floppy discs despite the fact I had reloaded a save with all discs found. Unless/until they patch this it's a nice exploit. 

Also noticed if you hit an electric water pool it's possible to let yourself die on that & as long as you don't hit any water pools on the subsequent life you'll get the trophy for never having hit any at all. Same thing with escaping the lava flood.

The ending exploit was discovered while I was making sure the no-death run couldn't be cheesed somehow. There was nothing I could find at least so that's going to have to be done for real, but if you die and quit out of the game you can just reload and it's fine so you really only have to no-miss one stage at a time. Note that if you quit to the level selection screen after dying that will save & your whole run will be screwed so get used to hitting the guide button when you die. The ice stage is probably the most annoying due to that last section before the boss so I recommend getting that done first. You'll want to use Rider as well so the bosses are no issue. Also play on normal because the heart pickups replenish your health bar on normal whereas on hard they just give you an extra life with no additional health.

I picked up a new computer recently & finally bothered setting up a YT account so I've uploaded a playlist with videos of every stage done without dying. I picked up all the floppy discs as well. Please note this is not a superplay & I was drunk & high for the first 5 stages & the last 3 were recorded this morning in a more sober type stupor on an empty stomach while I was trying to wake up. Every stage took 2-5 goes minimum to get done so I'm rushing through & deliberately taking damage because I know where the health refill points are. By the time you get around to this you'll know them all too. I mainly uploaded this to demonstrate that this is very doable & there's no need to be concerned with the no death trophy. 

If you're on the fence with this one just get it. There's nothing bad to say here it's just a solid action platformer with a fun trophy list that doesn't take too long but won't be over before the game is.

Excuse me for bumping an old thread.

What do you mean by "the guide button" on the fourth paragraph?

I'm interested in this game. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2020 at 4:06 AM, zizimonster said:

Excuse me for bumping an old thread.

What do you mean by "the guide button" on the fourth paragraph?

I'm interested in this game. Thanks.

By Guide button I mean the ps button in the middle of the controller that takes you back to XMB or whatever the ps4 os is called. It's definitely needed in Dogurai to cheese the no death playtrhough because if you quit to the main in-game menu from within the game it saves the death but if you exit to the ps4 OS & close application it doesn't save. Hope that makes sense my gf is ranting at me while I'm typing currently.

Sorry this reply came 10 days later btw.

Edited by Drag-On-Detritus
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 23/04/2020 at 6:17 AM, Drag-On-Detritus said:

This morning I wrapped up the Dogurai trophy set & found the whole experience quite enjoyable. If you're a 2D enthusiast you'll have no issue with getting this done and if not, the challenge is still a very fair one. If you beat the game after finding all 4 floppy discs, the character you unlock attacks with projectiles which makes things much easier. The game controls very well and it's smoother than most if not all original Game Boy games so don't let the look fool you, this is a really well made title.

I saved myself an entire play through by reloading a completed Hard mode save and letting all my lives run out. This triggered the bad ending and unlocked the trophy for beating the game without floppy discs despite the fact I had reloaded a save with all discs found. Unless/until they patch this it's a nice exploit. 

Also noticed if you hit an electric water pool it's possible to let yourself die on that & as long as you don't hit any water pools on the subsequent life you'll get the trophy for never having hit any at all. Same thing with escaping the lava flood.

The ending exploit was discovered while I was making sure the no-death run couldn't be cheesed somehow. There was nothing I could find at least so that's going to have to be done for real, but if you die and quit out of the game you can just reload and it's fine so you really only have to no-miss one stage at a time. Note that if you quit to the level selection screen after dying that will save & your whole run will be screwed so get used to hitting the guide button when you die. The ice stage is probably the most annoying due to that last section before the boss so I recommend getting that done first. You'll want to use Rider as well so the bosses are no issue. Also play on normal because the heart pickups replenish your health bar on normal whereas on hard they just give you an extra life with no additional health.

I picked up a new computer recently & finally bothered setting up a YT account so I've uploaded a playlist with videos of every stage done without dying. I picked up all the floppy discs as well. Please note this is not a superplay & I was drunk & high for the first 5 stages & the last 3 were recorded this morning in a more sober type stupor on an empty stomach while I was trying to wake up. Every stage took 2-5 goes minimum to get done so I'm rushing through & deliberately taking damage because I know where the health refill points are. By the time you get around to this you'll know them all too. I mainly uploaded this to demonstrate that this is very doable & there's no need to be concerned with the no death trophy. 

If you're on the fence with this one just get it. There's nothing bad to say here it's just a solid action platformer with a fun trophy list that doesn't take too long but won't be over before the game is.

So that's why this game has the platinum percentage at a high rate. I didn't read your comment thoroughly the first time I visited this topic and tried doing the non-death run on the go, without exiting to the PS menu. I was pretty close today, dying on those pesky platforms with lasers (stage 7). =/ I think I still gonna try doing this the proper way, without that exploit. Thanks for the tip though. Might use it for other purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, there's a glitch that occurs after a boss fight in stage 5 (the Forest). When you play as Rider and you defeat the final/second boss too quickly then you can't proceed further into the game. Your enemy will still make an attempt to attack you, even though its health bar will be empty. The game will either let you move (but you won't be able to hit) or you'll freeze while the opponent's animation will still be visible. The only way to fix it is to exit the game and complete the whole level once more.

To avoid the glitch you have to beat the boss a little bit slower, "making room" for its animation.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I just started playing this game, earning a lot of trophies along the way as well as finding all four discs, getting the true ending as Bones, unlocking Rider, but only finding i think 7 or 8 of the hidden NPCs so i'll have to be more keen on finding secret areas as i play through the game again as Rider.  Fun game, but wow each stage aside from the opening has a lot of really annoying and cheap parts designed to kill you as cheaply as possible.

Regarding the no death trophy, I was thinking that because the game does allow you to pause at any time and quit to the stage select map, that it could be very cheese-able and indeed it is.  Slain: Back From Hell also has the same type of exploit for no-deathing the game, where you can just pause and restart at the last checkpoint if you're falling into a pit or running low on health and think you're gonna die.  Though you still have to avoid getting instakilled by traps and there's a ton in that game lol, so still pretty tough.  

Personally I think the speedbike section on the desert stage is the toughest part of the entire game.  It's so easy to jump when you don't have to, and then by the time you land and try to jump again you're going to crash into a wall.

• 2 weeks later...

I just earned the Platinum.  I did the no death run legit without cheesing it using the Quit selection in Options to reload any stages.  Used Rider, just because Bones' sword has such a short range and there's a ton of enemy placement designed to hit you in mid-air and knock you into pits.  Also Rider is just way more fun to use though maybe too much easier to use than Bones lol.  I'm also including separate vids i did to show the two extra boss fights that happen if you don't collect all four floppy discs when you reach the final stage    

Edited by drlight66

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...