I feel I'm missing something

Kallume

(Maybe spoilers?)

So I started chapter 8 today and I'm seeing videos of players 43+ fighting the Mad Witch. I hit 40 and got Earthshaker, yet I feel I'm still behind. I spent 1-2 hours in each chapters 4-7 grinding XP, items and weapon upgrades yet I still feel underpowered. Asides from killing enemies, I don't know what else I could do for XP. Per the trophy guide, I haven't touched the Factory or Insectors. 

Thoughts?

Are you struggling to kill things? If so, i guess keep doing what youre doing.  

A lot of vids out there are overleveled because its easy to die in this game and my guess is they wanted to not keep dying whilst recording. As long as your killing stuff dont fear too much. The final boss was my only "i need to grind" moment. 

Also i would have a mess around with the factory and insectron. As much as its solid advice to leave it til the end, theyre not particularly fun so id get some out the way early. It also breaks up the grind.

12 hours ago, punkshepherd said:

Are you struggling to kill things? If so, i guess keep doing what youre doing.  

I don't have issues killing anything now that I have Earthshaker, but my team die a lot (or are critically injured) in every battle. I have to chill by a save point or I deplete my item stores pretty quick. I suppose a better question to ask, if I grind more, would there ever be a point where I can laugh at random encounters? Using Jaster, Kisolo and Zegram btw.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2020 at 4:38 PM, Kallume said:

I don't have issues killing anything now that I have Earthshaker, but my team die a lot (or are critically injured) in every battle. I have to chill by a save point or I deplete my item stores pretty quick. I suppose a better question to ask, if I grind more, would there ever be a point where I can laugh at random encounters? Using Jaster, Kisolo and Zegram btw.

Use Jaster, Kisala, and Zegram.  Use the revelation board to get Supernova. Spam this for every fight. If you encounter enemies that are too tall or have barriers, just run.

You can get that starshine move for Kisala and Lightning for Zegram to accomplish the same thing, so you run out of AP slower.

For single target enemies like mimics or some bosses, use Zegram's Drunken Burst for increased damage and then use Jaster's Illusion sword. That will kill everything pretty quick.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
On 4/23/2020 at 3:38 PM, Kallume said:

I know this is an old thread, but I do want to mention that this was common for me in both my playthrough on PS2 as well as my plat run on PS4. Random battles would often knock me to brink unless I unleashed my heaviest spells and abilities. I constantly went back and bought more SP-restoring items (or whatever the items were that allowed use of skills). 

• 3 months later...

I am going through the game myself and for the random encounter enemies I usually just use a group attack like Jaster's Desert Wind or Kisala's Angel's Kiss and it would wipe out the enemies in one hit. Currently in the last dungeon and spamming the same tactic and it seems to be working fine.

When in doubt level up some more and try to finish everyone's revelation board, it will help.  

Well I had a hard time just at the start of chapter 6, but then Recharge Drinks, Illusion Sword and Supernova broke the game. I breezed through the next chapters. Enemies and especially bosses still hit like a truck, but keeping the distance and sticking to the above skills I've made it to the last boss with ease. Now I've stopped and I'm working on side content, just cleared all Quarries without issues.