Hard mode preparation

Hey there. 

I'm just finishing my normal run, I'm at last boss. My question is, what is currently the best way to prepare for Hard to just breeze through it? 

I heard that first we need to max level, materias and weapons, right? Garage is probably the best place for it? After that I should get the accessory from Pride and Joy, yes? I heard, that there is also some method with Chapter 17 on Hard first, because you can get some good stuff from it? Is there something else I forgot?

To get the accessory from Pride and Joy you will need to:

1) Finish all Battle Intel reports to unlock the Bahamut fight in Chadley's VR simualtion. Beat Bahamut in the VR simulation.

2) Finish all Colosseum Fights. A few of them only unlock on Hard I think. So you will need to replay Chapter 9 on Hard, beat the Hell House to access the last few Colosseum fights on hard.

3) Finish all VR simulations in Hojo's lab at the start of Chapter 17.

I did 2) and 3) first but had not done 1) as I was missing all upgrades on my Revive Materia. So the Pride and Joy fight was not unlocking. Once I finished 1) it unlocked. I will try beating him tonight.

I have played a few chapters on hard and found that I didn't need to farm upgrades of materia. Playing the chapters on hard should cause them to level up quickly if they are not at max already.

Upgrading of weapons when your character is at max level (L50) only occurs when you get the Manuscripts. This is done by beating bosses on hard mode so bascially progressing through the game on hard. You can play easy chapters on hard and do all side quests (I did 1-4) to level up your weapons then try the harder chapter 9 for example.

You hard playthrough can be done in any order via chapter select. When you finish the chapter it will say on screen "Chapter 1 finished on hard" and you will see it stated in the chapter select.

You might not be able to breeze through it on hard. Some bosses may prove troublesome but overall, its not too hard.

Edited by mjan8935

Just got my plat this morning. The best way to prepare for Hard mode is to indeed max out Materias. Typically the purple and yellow ones are your best friends. These were the only Materias I ever touched during my Hard mode run:

(2) Elemental

(2) Fire/Ice/Lightning/Wind

(2) Luck Up

(2) Magic Up

(2) First Strike

(3) ATB Stagger

(3) Steadfast Block

(1) ATB Assist

(3) Prayer

(2-3) Chakra

(7) HP Up (Two each for Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris. One for Barret.)

(2) MP Up

(3) Revive

(3) Healing

(1) Poison

(1) Time

(1) Barrier

Weapons: Hardedge, Metal Knuckles, Mythril Rod, Big Bertha.

I saw this video that theorycrafted Barret into the healer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms-5MT7ECqM and it honestly worked. As for the Gotterdammerung, I didn't get it until I actually got to Chapter 17 during my hard playthrough. So, majority of the game is doable without it.

• Like 1

If you learned how to handle the bosses on normal you'll be okay on hard. Im sure at this point you know what enemies to watch out for. Exploiting weaknesses while minimizing MP usage is ideal. Certain chapters (chapter 7 boss, chapter 9, chapter 14 overall and chapter 17 overall) definitely test your MP conservsation but its definitely doable. I didnt start using MP and HP plus until the latter half of my normal playthrough so most of mine were level 2 and 3. My personal recommendation for materia would be:

-HP and MP plus for everyone is a given

-Having 1 maxed poison and time at your disposal will benefit you on some fights 

-both prayer and chakra materials split between the 4 members 

-the elementals will save your life, get them to lvl 2 or maxed

-One cure per person will do with the magnify on your designated healer whom(Aerith when she was in my party, Tifa when Aerith was not, but it's up to you)should also have the healing carcanet to bolster healing potential.

-magic element materia is useful, but knowing your enemies so you use the right magic at the right time is very helpful so you're not running multiple magics and taking up precious materia slots. 

-One or 2 barriers would not hurt either

Weapon wise, use the ones that have reprieve and if possible have the perk that reduces healing MP usage bu 20%. Clouds twin stinger and aeriths silver staff are the only two that have both at the same time. I ran those two weapons and EKG and purple pain for Barret and Tifa respectfully. 

Armor is whatever really, I'd say maximize materia slots. 

Accessories can be pretty vital especially if you have one from the final VR mission. While that accessory is extremely useful, it will definitely make the entire game much easier. I managed to go through chapters 1-15 without it and did okay. After I got the item my style of play definitely changed so the choice is yours. 

You'll be obstaining manuscripts throughout the hardmode playthrough, most of which will come naturally. These will give you the added edge on your weapons.

7 hours ago, Norava said:

Just got my plat this morning. The best way to prepare for Hard mode is to indeed max out Materias. Typically the purple and yellow ones are your best friends. These were the only Materias I ever touched during my Hard mode run:

(2) Elemental

(2) Fire/Ice/Lightning/Wind

(2) Luck Up

(2) Magic Up

(2) First Strike

(3) ATB Stagger

(3) Steadfast Block

(1) ATB Assist

(3) Prayer

(2-3) Chakra

(7) HP Up (Two each for Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris. One for Barret.)

(2) MP Up

(3) Revive

(3) Healing

(1) Poison

(1) Time

(1) Barrier

Weapons: Hardedge, Metal Knuckles, Mythril Rod, Big Bertha.

I saw this video that theorycrafted Barret into the healer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms-5MT7ECqM and it honestly worked. As for the Gotterdammerung, I didn't get it until I actually got to Chapter 17 during my hard playthrough. So, majority of the game is doable without it.

That build, the creator obviously doesn't realise that healing scales of your magic attack, explicitly states 'Best healer on zero magic'.....

Healing and revive healing levels all scale of your magic attack.

My prayer for example does 5000hp to everyone ;)

I think I will go this way:

1. Battle Intel - I need to finish maxing up magic materias, so I will replay Garage on Chapter 16, that's the best way or so I heard.
  2. Finish couple of first chapters on Hard - finish them just to get manuscripts and get my weapons to Level 6. People were saying there's a big difference between Level 5 and 6.
  3. Colosseum and VR Missions - the worst part, which is Hell House fight. After that I just want to get accessory. 
  4. Finish rest of chapters on Hard - self explanatory, just clean the rest of the stuff, as the hardest part is done.

Anything to add or maybe change sometinh? I'm making a short brake from a FFVII, because I want to play Snowrunner with my friends. But after that I'm going back at full throttle. I wonder if they are planning to patch anything balance related on Hard difficulty.

Edited by Patrickosan
  • Like 1

How does it work in the end game? With out too much spoilers as I’m fast approaching the final boss if possible.

if you replay chapters does it bring everything with you? 

For example if I did a three runs Normal normal hard, ( the guide suggests three runs anyway for the dresses, although not like I’ve mentioned) as honestly I love this game and don’t mind the time. Will doing two play throughs on normal max me out enough to go into hard mode? 

Basically what I’m asking is once you complete it, do you chapter select chapter 1 and carry everything with you? 
I see people mentioned doing chapters to collect stuff and then do previous ones so I gather that is correct? 

This way I can enjoy the game longer, max up all my Materia and levels through two normal runs and then go into hard ahead of the game. Without having to grind at all in a singular place

Chapter select for an RPG is a new for me  

I just beat it on Hard a bit ago, here's a some tips that really helped me, I didn't look anything up, I figured it out myself and this worked.

Have all Materia maxed out before you start your run, so you don't have to worry about changing and having the wrong Materia equipped.

For me, I had 8 HP Ups and 8 MP Ups maxed out, always had 2 HP Ups and 2 MP Ups equipped to each character no matter what, it gives you 100% extra HP and MP with 2 equipped. 

You'll be doing a lot of blocking, so equip Steadfast Block, every block will get your ATB up.

When using Magic on regular enemies, since you have to conserve, only use the weak spells.

Break boxes because they have Mako Shards that give your MP back.

Use everyone's 6th weapon, it's Attack and Magic balanced. You may mostly look for Attack Power for other weapons, but the better weapon is with higher MP, you want your spells to do damage. Plus these weapons in their final tier have Reprieve, that you can purchase with AP, don't know how many times I was saved with this. You can get the final tier for your weapons, I'm pretty sure by beating the Solo Simulator Battles on Hard, in Chapter 17 post game. 

Edited by Nitemares-----

I feel like people are hyping up Hard mode more than it should be. I personally went straight from Normal to Hardmode. I did not at any point grind XP or AP. 

Here's what I can recommend:

HP Plus Materia: At least 1 on each Character

MP Plus Materia: At least 1 on each Character:

Magic Plus Materia: On Your Healer with Cure + Magnify

Fire, Ice, Lightning, Wind: I had 2 of each maxed out that I would swap between based on boss weakness.

Healing And Revival: One on Each Character.

Magnify: Combine this with one of the healing Materia

First Strike: I only had 2 of them, but I recommend putting these on your members ASAP.

Prayer: While I only used this in Chapter 17, due to the length of the chapter, it could be worth using in others as well. Quick to max out tho.

With this materia, I simply went through hard mode and I did obtain the super accessory from chapter 17 when I got there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Optinooby said:

That build, the creator obviously doesn't realise that healing scales of your magic attack, explicitly states 'Best healer on zero magic'.....

Healing and revive healing levels all scale of your magic attack.

My prayer for example does 5000hp to everyone ;)

And what you obviously don't realize is that being the best healer isn't based just on how big your heals are.

10 hours ago, Patrickosan said:

Ok, thanks everyone for specific good tips. So, at the very beginning I have to finish battle reports and from what I'm seeing is that maxing out materias will take most of the time. Where have you done it? Garage in Chapter 16 or somewhere else? 

It's not essential to max out materia, hell I didnt even have 2 HP plus maxed until the end. Just keep a consistent usage of the same materia and you'll be fine. I didn't max out revive until midway through hardmode. My elemental magics were maxed from normal since they dont require much, as were my cures. The first half of the game doesn't feel too difficult, you'll actually find it a bit easier since you have more at your disposal. Steer clear of using tier 3 elemental magics unless it's the last fight before a chapter ends. You can get by with basic or tier 2 elemental magics. Grinding for AP isnt needed because you'll get triple AP on hardmode and if you've got the AP plus materia is goes by quickly. 

3 hours ago, mikem192 said:

How does it work in the end game? With out too much spoilers as I’m fast approaching the final boss if possible.

if you replay chapters does it bring everything with you? 

For example if I did a three runs Normal normal hard, ( the guide suggests three runs anyway for the dresses, although not like I’ve mentioned) as honestly I love this game and don’t mind the time. Will doing two play throughs on normal max me out enough to go into hard mode? 

Basically what I’m asking is once you complete it, do you chapter select chapter 1 and carry everything with you? 
I see people mentioned doing chapters to collect stuff and then do previous ones so I gather that is correct? 

This way I can enjoy the game longer, max up all my Materia and levels through two normal runs and then go into hard ahead of the game. Without having to grind at all in a singular place

Chapter select for an RPG is a new for me  

Everything will carry over with you except side mission key items (don corneo stash key) certain things are only obtainable the 1 time like magnify(only one in the game) and the chain bangle(only armor with decent defensive stats that has 4 materia slots). Any materia you buy from Chadley is also limited. I'd honestly just recommend doing the normal playthrough, then the hard, then a 3rd run for funsies. Two normal playthroughs would be overkill and all your materia would probably be maxed out by then. As long as youre managing your MP well throughout the game you will be fine. 

Edited by undefinedmike
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, undefinedmike said:

It's not essential to max out materia, hell I didnt even have 2 HP plus maxed until the end. Just keep a consistent usage of the same materia and you'll be fine. I didn't max out revive until midway through hardmode. My elemental magics were maxed from normal since they dont require much, as were my cures. The first half of the game doesn't feel too difficult, you'll actually find it a bit easier since you have more at your disposal. Steer clear of using tier 3 elemental magics unless it's the last fight before a chapter ends. You can get by with basic or tier 2 elemental magics. Grinding for AP isnt needed because you'll get triple AP on hardmode and if you've got the AP plus materia is goes by quickly. 

Everything will carry over with you except side mission key items (don corneo stash key) certain things are only obtainable the 1 time like magnify(only one in the game) and the chain bangle(only armor with decent defensive stats that has 4 materia slots). Any materia you buy from Chadley is also limited. I'd honestly just recommend doing the normal playthrough, then the hard, then a 3rd run for funsies. Two normal playthroughs would be overkill and all your materia would probably be maxed out by then. As long as youre managing your MP well throughout the game you will be fine. 

awesome dude! Thanks for the reply, glad everything carries over. Post game is starting to make more sense now in that regards 

2 hours ago, Norava said:

And what you obviously don't realize is that being the best healer isn't based just on how big your heals are.

Very true, nobody is just a healer ;)!

Reference just the healing though, 4700hp per 2 ATBs vs 1700hp per 2 ATBs, it's a hell of a difference wouldn't you say, it's like 3 x quicker, 4 free ATBs! I've been running last VR though, so I am perhaps over optimising ;)

19 hours ago, Patrickosan said:

I think I will go this way:

1. Battle Intel - I need to finish maxing up magic materias, so I will replay Garage on Chapter 16, that's the best way or so I heard.
  2. Finish couple of first chapters on Hard - finish them just to get manuscripts and get my weapons to Level 6. People were saying there's a big difference between Level 5 and 6.
  3. Colosseum and VR Missions - the worst part, which is Hell House fight. After that I just want to get accessory. 
  4. Finish rest of chapters on Hard - self explanatory, just clean the rest of the stuff, as the hardest part is done.

Anything to add or maybe change sometinh? I'm making a short brake from a FFVII, because I want to play Snowrunner with my friends. But after that I'm going back at full throttle. I wonder if they are planning to patch anything balance related on Hard difficulty.

If I remember correctly, you don't get manuscripts for aerith's weapon on hard until chapter 8, so do the first few chapters and then jump to 8. The rest of your plan depends on whether you want the easiest time possible or not. A lot of people are saying you don't need to level up materias, and it's true, the same way the Gotterdamerung is not essential, but it really helps to beat bosses easily. Hell House and Pride and Joy challenge are easy if you use leveled up characters/weapons/materia and follow a good strategy (I beat them on my first try), the key part is to follow a good guide, because there is a lot of bad advice out there (The best strategies right now for Hell House include casting Bioga on it, and for the Pride and Joy challenge equip Fire + elemental on armor, you can win with other strategies, but these are the most efficient ones that I know)

Memorize enemy locations and weaknesses and adjust MATs for each fight. Abuse rest points, avoid using more that 10 mp at a time, and break boxes only when you need mp. Unlock the first 2 sets of dresses then hit the VR 2 man vs high flyer at the beginning of ch 17. Get to 50 with some good MATs chapter select Chapter 3, 8, 9, and 14 getting all the sidequests out of the way in hard mode for the manuscripts to get more SP then start at the beginning working your way through. Also Cure + Magnify(All MAT) is a good combo.

I just did another 3 dresses + all Colosseum and VR except Pride & Joy.

That got me Lvl 50 + Lvl 6 Weapons + A lot of upgraded materias without even grinding. 

Now I’ll just do the remaining 3 dresses while working on manuscripts up to Ch. 9, then I may take a try on P&J to get the accessory, and then blast through the rest of chapters.

I thought that campaign on Hard will be the hardest trophy. But boy oh boy that Bahamut + Ifrit on Hard... I was playing it half yesterday and nothing. Today I did whole challenge in the first try. Magic? No. Elemental + Fire on your armor and Ifrit is healing you all the time and you can go all the way for Bahamut. Also weapons with Reprieve + Manawall just to be sure you don't get wiped by Flare.