Gummibug

PS4 Fan

17 posts in this topic

Anyone else experiencing the fan going berserk during game play - didn't notice it with the Demo. 

It's quite distracting and it only does it with Trials (from all the games I have installed) 

(Normal PS4) 

Edited by Gummibug

i have the same probs on a ps4 Pro. Feels like a jet is starting in my living room.
seems to be poor optimizing

Yeah its kinda unbearable. Had to cut both of my first sittings short because I couldn't concentrate. It doesn't help that it randomly goes silent for a second too before going crazy again making it even more noticeable.

Honestly most PS4s have this issue even under normal load conditions, one thing I want to see improved on the PS5 and it seems Sony has acknowledged at least it should be quieter

On 24.4.2020 at 9:51 AM, Gummibug said:

Anyone else experiencing the fan going berserk during game play - didn't notice it with the Demo. 

It's quite distracting and it only does it with Trials (from all the games I have installed) 

(Normal PS4) 

I have the same problem in Ni No Kuni 2, Code vein, i am always scared my Pspro is blowing up or it get Damaged. :(

seriously, you guys need to replace the Thermal Paste of your ps4's

used to have this issue with my ps4 ( base version ) in Ni no Kuni 2 my ps4 used to get too loud and when one of the characters do that fire hurricane magic, my game play will be interfered with a blue screen telling me the ps4 have gotten too hot... how ironic! and when I used to play God of War the ps4 will shut itself down immediately the moment the screen shows Kratos at the start screen.

when I changed the thermal paste everything went to normal and my ps4 is quite ever since, I did played this demo and the fan do made some sound but at a normal level and not a jet fighter level.

Edited by yellowwindow7

I have no problem, my PS4 is quiet, I have an original that's 4 years old. 

6 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

This isn’t always the solution for people, as generally the fan gets extremely loud with zero performance issues. Your PS4 was overheating so this solved the issue for you because it clearly needed to be cleaned.

Some devs badly optimize their games or don’t put a frame rate cap in certain situations. Example being: I have a day one Pro and it has always reached max fan speed in certain scenarios such as menus in (Horizon, GoW, Days Gone). These are games with uncapped frame rates in the menus thus the fan runs at max speed.

Ive also had my fan hit max speed in certain in game scenarios but it’s rare. Yet I’ve never had a crash or performance issue. It’s a problem with how some consoles batches were manufactured and game frame rates.

While opening it up may help for some it won’t for majority.

This game looked very interesting but if people are reporting this issue I’ll have to hold off for now.

Edited by Skurkitty

If it happened with every game then perhaps I would look at replacing the thermal paste. 

But as others have suggested this could be bad optimisation and it would be anyone's guess if the developers will address it. 

A shame that this issue dampens my enjoyment of the game :(

I have the Nathan Drake PS4 

On 26/4/2020 at 1:30 AM, Skurkitty said:

This isn’t always the solution for people, as generally the fan gets extremely loud with zero performance issues. Your PS4 was overheating so this solved the issue for you because it clearly needed to be cleaned.

Some devs badly optimize their games or don’t put a frame rate cap in certain situations. Example being: I have a day one Pro and it has always reached max fan speed in certain scenarios such as menus in (Horizon, GoW, Days Gone). These are games with uncapped frame rates in the menus thus the fan runs at max speed.

Ive also had my fan hit max speed in certain in game scenarios but it’s rare. Yet I’ve never had a crash or performance issue. It’s a problem with how some consoles batches were manufactured and game frame rates.

While opening it up may help for some it won’t for majority.

This game looked very interesting but if people are reporting this issue I’ll have to hold off for now.

This, I have played FFVIIR on PS4 pro and no problem with the fan, with this seems a jet ahahahah, in short, bad optimizing, still a good game.

Edited by FlareZero

My ps4 fan does the same thing.  I just finished ffvii remake and before that Uncharted 4 and never noticed somethin similar.

Edited by EvensL_0

On 30/4/2020 at 11:59 AM, EvensL_0 said:

My ps4 fan does the same thing.  I just finished ffvii remake and before that Uncharted 4 and never noticed somethin similar.

Just like I have said, this game it has bad optimizing, probably are some error in the code game, it must be the Frame rate that goes crazy, well let's hope they will relase a patch.

Lol my fan goes absolutely nuts during cutscenes.  No other time though.

On 4/25/2020 at 0:10 PM, yellowwindow7 said:

Yeah, seriously guys. How could you not have thought of this?!?

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Yeah, seriously guys. How could you not have thought of this?!?

i don't have the tools to tear up my ps4, bought two different screw driver sets and this cursed specific driver is not in them ( T7 and T8 ) if not mistaken... somehow these screw drivers do not sell in where i live, it's an excuse to force people to not open up their systems and to send it for repairs, this loud noise happens to me on both ps3 and ps4, and since the thermal paste replacement I never got worried about the fan noise, as long as it less noisy than that vacuum cleaner it's not a problem with me... Especially After Living With That Rocket Engine Sound for half a year.

now I only open the ps4 just to clean the dust off the ventilation areas and dust off the fan, I can't tear open the ps3 to this day due to these screws under the disc slider.

pro/1080p users disable supersampling

see if it helps

4k users play in 1080p without supersampling

PS4 Pro user here (Newer version which was in the GoW bundle). Supersampling is deactivated as default when one of the 4k resolution types is used. This has nothing to do with the resolution! Also in FHD the Fan goes nuts.

This also has nothing to do with thermal paste.

Only game the fan makes such noise like the PS4 Pro will go airborne is when I play this game. Even FF7R was running silent. Also the console is silent when I play FFXIV. 

Fan is also loud when playing it on another PS4 Pro I have. Will try standard PS4 tomorrow but I do not have much hope.

The problem is that this game is just not optimised. Many others on gamefaqs have the same issues even with new PS4 slim models: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/266210-trials-of-mana/78517466 and 

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/266210-trials-of-mana/78592200 . 

But at least this game is running stable and no BSOD shitshow like the SoM remake was.

Edited by Geridian