Could've been much, much better..

det_gittes

I enjoy this game quite a bit. However, in my opinion it features some major design flaws. First off, the camera angle is atrocious. Why there is not top view available remains a mystery to me. Then, something as simple as skipping the computer shot time. This game requires you to play at least 1000 matches, so these completely unnecessary waiting times probably add up to hours wasted just waiting for the balls to stop (also, this slo-mo on the match ball - I don't think it can be turned off and it's irritating as hell after some time). And something which plagues most pool games - the computer AI. I used to play and watch loads of pool and snooker and I am certainly aware of the skill of top players, who very often clear tables in a single sitting (or break & run). But here the computer makes the silliest of shots at one point (and is completely helpless with combination shots) and then executes a series of impossible shots next (especially some cut shots are ridiculous). It's really disheartening and makes you rage. And this takes me to the final point - I don't understand what the idea was behind this game - is it supposed to be a chill game (ambient music, light approach to making shots as the camera makes it almost impossible to "see" certain shots), or is it a serious pool game (well, the trophy requirements are super hard/grindy)?

Too bad there was no pressure on the devs to improve at least some aspects of the game - even if there are people who are fine with the camera, I can see no reason why anyone would object to skipping the AI shot time - and that alone would benefit this game a lot!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, det_gittes said:

I enjoy this game quite a bit. However, in my opinion it features some major design flaws. First off, the camera angle is atrocious. Why there is not top view available remains a mystery to me. Then, something as simple as skipping the computer shot time. This game requires you to play at least 1000 matches, so these completely unnecessary waiting times probably add up to hours wasted just waiting for the balls to stop (also, this slo-mo on the match ball - I don't think it can be turned off and it's irritating as hell after some time). And something which plagues most pool games - the computer AI. I used to play and watch loads of pool and snooker and I am certainly aware of the skill of top players, who very often clear tables in a single sitting (or break & run). But here the computer makes the silliest of shots at one point (and is completely helpless with combination shots) and then executes a series of impossible shots next (especially some cut shots are ridiculous). It's really disheartening and makes you rage. And this takes me to the final point - I don't understand what the idea was behind this game - is it supposed to be a chill game (ambient music, light approach to making shots as the camera makes it almost impossible to "see" certain shots), or is it a serious pool game (well, the trophy requirements are super hard/grindy)?

Too bad there was no pressure on the devs to improve at least some aspects of the game - even if there are people who are fine with the camera, I can see no reason why anyone would object to skipping the AI shot time - and that alone would benefit this game a lot!

I like this game, but it’s ridiculously hard. Is there any better and or easier pool games out there?

21 minutes ago, Gefro-On-Defro said:

I like this game, but it’s ridiculously hard. Is there any better and or easier pool games out there?

Hustle Kings and the Pool/SnookerNation games are decent.

Not sure if there are any others out there that aren't super arcadey style games (Like Inferno Pool)

11 minutes ago, Gefro-On-Defro said:

My go-to pool game is Virtual Pool 4 on the PC - I play it on my laptop whenever I feel like it, it loads up within seconds and is said to have one of the best ball physics and plenty of game modes to pick from. When it comes to PS4, Hustle Kings seems to be a better game, but it's a nightmare trophy-wise and it's basically a pay-to-win game (unless you massively boost online wins to make in-game money, which is necessary for special chalks and what not). I also played Snooker Nation, but that game, unlike  Pure Pool and Hustle Kings, felt too easy, and there is also Pool Nation,which has a big multiplayer component that I didn't even take the time to comprehend - maybe I will look at boosting possibilities at some point. Since you mentioned "easier", then you should look at Snooker Nation (if I remember correctly, aiming lines can be left on the whole time, which trivializes any challenge). 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The difficulty spike after amateur is laughable, still can't beat the first pro. Not because I'm bad at the game, its coz I can't get to the table. He clears up every time, even the most ridiculous shots are going in. Bought this because it was very very cheap, never expected to plat it but just as a go to chill out game. But I'm venting at not been even allowed to play it. 

• 2 months later...

Yeah, the computer AI is ridiculous. This game starts out really fun and looks well presented if a bit bare bones. Once I got to near the end of the amateur career though it started to get tiring watching the AI pull off ludicrous 90 degree cuts across the table all the time. A shame because I really enjoyed it to begin with.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Bought this game on a whim last week, as I miss playing pool in real life (as terrible as I am at it). Agree with a lot of the sentiments re absurd skill levels of AI opponents even towards the end stages of Amateur level. 

I maybe should have gone with Pool Nation, as I did enjoy Snooker Nation 2019 but found the absolute bare-bones format of that a bit boring and figured the Pool version would be the same. I like the look of Snooker 2019, but any sports game that doesn't allow you to create your own player is seriously lacking.