Mahjong question

daramunya

The guide says to prioritize discarding the already discarded tiles in the table. So what if none of the tiles I have right now are at the discarded ones? Should I just pick one randomly and hope it's the right choice? Cuz rng hasn't been kind to me as of now & I even equipped myself with the luck bracelet if that even helps with my chances

If you're new to mahjong you should probably prioritise making a valid hand above all else. Discarding tactically is part of defensive play but it's not exactly easy to teach. With experience you can start to get an idea of what kind of hand your opponent is making by looking at their discards and/or open melds but it's not an exact science, at least not for me anyway and I've played hundreds of hours of mahjong in Yakuza games and IRL at this point. 

Well ideally you would look at your opponents' discards and try to guess what suit they are focusing on / what hand they are going for so that you don't paly into their hands, but if you don't really know then just discard one at random. Of course if someone has called riichi you should pay more attention to what you discard but usually honor (wind, dragon) and terminal (1,9) tiles are your safest bet.

49 minutes ago, cckerberos said:

The part of the guide you're referring to is giving advice on how to get the Seven Pairs hand, not playing in general. What exactly are you trying to do?

I'm going for the seven pairs trophy since it's the last one I need for the plat

The only reason for me to look at discards is so that I can see if it's still possible to build a certain hand. So in the case of Seven Pairs, if for example I have five pairs already and need to make a decision on which potential pair to give up on, I check which single tiles I have left and how many times these tiles have been discarded by the others. If I have a single tile of 1, 4 and 8 for example, if the 1 has been discarded twice, the 4 once and the 8 once as well, I'll discard the 1 because there's a smaller chance that I'm getting another 1 to make a pair.