In what order should replay the Assassins Creed games?

Quink666

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

Can’t imagine the older games!

I would love to see people nowadays try to play through the original Assasins Creed.

Better yet, make a trophy list for the game and have them collect all the flags. Every single one of them. People thought feathers in Assassins Creed II and the shards in inFamous 1 were bad, the flags are a whole lot worse.

People are too pampered and cuddled with today's AAA games.

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

I enjoyed AC 4: Black Flag but honestly felt the controls clunky in that.  Parkour out of nowhere.  Climb up something you did not want to, etc.  Can’t imagine the older games!

The camera was worse in the older games. Origins and Odyssey no longer have the random parkour issue either unless you're holding :r2: out of habit to run.

The first game would need a complete remake imo. There's not enough to the missions and to be completely honest I wouldn't mind a slight retcon in the fuckery of Altair dying if his pinky toe touched some water. If they wanted to keep the "oldness" of it they could at least make it Unity or Syndicate fluid. (And keep the quick assassinations introduced in AC3)

• Like 2

On 26.4.2020 at 0:09 AM, NoiizeR- said:

1, 2, brotherhood. You can end there imo

On 26.4.2020 at 9:01 AM, rotoninja said:

I have a soft spot for Revelations and I was an AC online junkie, but this is about right. 

AC 1 is easily the worst game of the whole series. Even the weaker ones ( AC3 and Unity) are better than the original game. Fortuntately AC1 wasnt my first game, otherwise I wouldnt have touched the second game, thats for sure. Whats your problem with Black flag, besides the fact that it is more about pirates than assassins? Easily in the Top 3, IMO it is the best. Recommending AC1 while disrespecting black flag at the same time is almost a crime.?

Edited by GoDBoss173
  • Like 1

There's only three ways of going about playing the whole AC series that I'd consider: 

1) the exact same order you played them as, for basic nostalgia reasons.

2) in order of release so you see the evolution of the mechanics 

3) if you don't care about the modern-day plot, play them in order of historical setting. My favourite way of revisiting them as you jump from generation and mechanics. You could also throw in the novels and comics for maximum immersion

However, there's some you may want to skip in my own opinion and only visit if you're really invested:

-The original: too poorly aged, feeling like a prototype of the series, some missions making 0 sense like catching flags in a race so you get clues on a target and most of all; the important plot of this game gets retold so much in other games you might as well skip it since you could play the whole franchise without this one and still know what goes on with Altaïr.

-Revelations: unless you really like Ezio and despite how well this rounds up his character, gameplay does interesting stuff that's never pushed too long, far shorter than II or Brotherhood and the plot can be summarized as "Ezio find final love of his life, gets tangled in Ottoman politics and learns stuff from Altaïr". Neat for Ezio stans, not so compelling in the big scheme of things.

-III: despite missing on Haytham you'd also be spared from Connor and seeing as to how he's been recieved by the comunity, I'd say that's a good thing. Rightfully one of the series' weakest entries, all it offers, Rogue and Liberation do way better while also providing more likeable protagonists instead of edgy, grumpy native american boy.

-IV: Black Flag: controversial pick, I know, but even for a pirate-enthusiast as myself, I'd say you can skip this one and watch some Pirates of the Caribbean instead. Not bad, just not as great as most people claim it to be. Good story hidden behind ship grinding yet a story that fits weirdly in the big scheme of things.

-Unity: come on, it's Unity. Romeo and Juliet plot that was too ambitious in terms of specs to the point of causing bugs and glitches galore, so it feels held back. Maybe await HD remaster a bunch of years down the line? A re-release without the awful online stuff that was force in just becuase of French Revolution themes?

-Maybe the spinoffs? Technically Altaïr's Chronicles, Bloodlines, Discovery and the Chronicles games have shifting amounts of important plot stuff to the series but the gameplay changes are a reasonable turn-off for most.

and that's my recommendation from a member of the AC cult.

1 hour ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

The camera was worse in the older games. Origins and Odyssey no longer have the random parkour issue either unless you're holding :r2: out of habit to run.

The first game would need a complete remake imo. There's not enough to the missions and to be completely honest I wouldn't mind a slight retcon in the fuckery of Altair dying if his pinky toe touched some water. If they wanted to keep the "oldness" of it they could at least make it Unity or Syndicate fluid. (And keep the quick assassinations introduced in AC3)

yep, gaming has come a long way (and thankfully so!)

3 hours ago, Eremoto said:

-Revelations: unless you really like Ezio and despite how well this rounds up his character, gameplay does interesting stuff that's never pushed too long, far shorter than II or Brotherhood and the plot can be summarized as "Ezio find final love of his life, gets tangled in Ottoman politics and learns stuff from Altaïr". Neat for Ezio stans, not so compelling in the big scheme of things.

The issue too being not as many people are familiar with Ottoman culture as they are with the culture that was prominent in Renaissance Italy. Less compelling characters, I couldn't find anybody memorable apart from Subject 17 (who talks to Desmond Miles during his coma) and Ezio's love interest. The villains weren't too memorable in contrast to Rodrigo and Cesare Borgia, who were both compelling.

Also you have the poorly executed first person platforming bit, and The Lost Archive DLC is mandatory for the platinum on the PS4 version.

-IV: Black Flag: controversial pick, I know, but even for a pirate-enthusiast as myself, I'd say you can skip this one and watch some Pirates of the Caribbean instead. Not bad, just not as great as most people claim it to be. Good story hidden behind ship grinding yet a story that fits weirdly in the big scheme of things.

Black Flag draws a lot of inspiration from Pirates of the Caribbean, but you can't compare Edward Kenway to the role Johnny Depp played in the movies.

It's a good pirate game, but a mediocre Assassins Creed game in moving forward with the story. Also the present day sequences were horrible.

-Unity: come on, it's Unity. Romeo and Juliet plot that was too ambitious in terms of specs to the point of causing bugs and glitches galore, so it feels held back. Maybe await HD remaster a bunch of years down the line? A re-release without the awful online stuff that was force in just becuase of French Revolution themes?

The entire plot bombed. Arno was an Assassin and Elise was a Templar, so obviously there was going to be differences in how they looked at each other. Arno gets cast out from the Assassins, and I think you already know what happened to Elise.

None of the characters were all too memorable. Unity suffered from the same problem that plagued Revelations.

Gameplay wise, it felt too cumbersome. Getting into combat with a bunch of French soldiers was just asking for suicide.

No, Unity does not need a remaster. I'm just waiting for the day they will remaster the remasters. Completely pointless.

4 hours ago, djb5f said:

yep, gaming has come a long way (and thankfully so!)

Yeah, they were games back then and now they are live services. I would pick AC1 over Origins/Odyssey even if it's old and dated by today's standards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sk_lp_him said:

Yeah, they were games back then and now they are live services. I would pick AC1 over Origins/Odyssey even if it's old and dated by today's standards.

Agreed.

People nowadays are too impatient to sit through a game like the original Assassins Creed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A second update. I have beaten the Ezio collection now and i gotta say if the "remaster" would have gotten some quality of life upgrades i think it would have been my favourite games in the series. Still feel like fairly old games that haven't aged very well when you play them. But the story is probably the best. Also Desmonds present time story is alot better then Laylas story. Something really big has to happens with Laylas story in Valhalla for it to trump Desmonds story.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 5:30 AM, Spaz said:

I don't think it really matters at this point. If you were to do the series properly, then play the older games first.

Going from Syndicate or Origins to II and Brotherhood will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I'm sure you meant Assassins Creed II. The original Assassins Creed doesn't have a trophy list.

Oh no, I meant 1, OP said he wanted to play AC1 so I thought he didn't care about the trophies, or at least not enough for him to stop playing trophy-less games.

On 5/23/2020 at 7:20 PM, Quink666 said:

A second update. I have beaten the Ezio collection now and i gotta say if the "remaster" would have gotten some quality of life upgrades i think it would have been my favourite games in the series. Still feel like fairly old games that haven't aged very well when you play them. But the story is probably the best. Also Desmonds present time story is alot better then Laylas story. Something really big has to happens with Laylas story in Valhalla for it to trump Desmonds story.

Nice work! Desmond is the only part of the modern era parts i enjoy. 

Anybody played Rogue? Its on offer now but im thinking of skipping it and moving straight onto Unity as i myself just smashed thru Black Flag. (No plat no problem)

Is the story of Rogue worth it? (Not that Unity is better, its just Unity is a "mainline" title....right?)

42 minutes ago, punkshepherd said:

Anybody played Rogue? Its on offer now but im thinking of skipping it and moving straight onto Unity as i myself just smashed thru Black Flag. (No plat no problem)

Is the story of Rogue worth it? (Not that Unity is better, its just Unity is a "mainline" title....right?)

Rogue is basically a reskin of IV except from the Templar point of view and a minor enemy assassin gimmick. Still a good game though but you can skip it from a narrative standpoint as it basically just serves as a looooong prequel to Unity.

I think it should be stressed that if you're playing the series, start from the order of release because the modern day segments are the real plot of the series while the historical aspects are really just filler until Odyssey when it actually plays a key role in the plot

Edited by majob

3 hours ago, punkshepherd said:

Well Unity picks up right where Rogue ends with the death of a certain character. That's kinda cool. So i wouldn't skip it. You can rush through Rogue in about 7 hours if only focusing on main missions. It is extremely similar to Black Flag in terms of gameplay. You also get to see the game from the Templar point of view instead of the assassins.

Edited by Quink666

black flag is ok, but awful grindy dullfest mutiplayer and annoying checklist challenges in each mission make it so dull to 100%, origins is the best because it was interesting, and felt more new then ever before also you can snag the 100% completion long before finishing all content and still get 60+ great hours out of it. syndicate has to be my all time fav of the older type of gameplay, exceptional characters, setting.. jst enjoyed it allot. Odyssey was just the most boring, never ending pl0d fest i've ever felt the need to sit through. just one long boring dlc quest after another it was so slow it felt throttled to encourage speeding it up with boosters.

i will be getting valhalla, as it's from the director behind black flag and origins, but your brave for wanting to go back to the old ones.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

stop with rogue so unity doesnt fk up the gameplay

i love the older combat system you could just throw smoke bomb midfight and assassinate the enemies in unity he hits them normally with his sword altough the enemies are stunned

you can fight bare fist with your blade disarm enemies steal their wallet omg 

you had so much possibilities before unity