Trophies in online Co-Op

Hey guys, 

I just started playing this game tonight in online coop, with my partner acting as the host. Now, the first story trophy was only unlocked by him... I take that trophies are generally only unlocked by the host? I have searched around but haven't found much information on this. If that's the case for story trophies, how about sidequest-related and misc trophies? And what about the difficulty-related trophies?

I honestly don't understand why a game so well-suited for coop would be implemented this way. 

Needs to be said, we are both playing blind, we have no idea about the game and its trophies other than we would need a second playthrough anyways on the highest difficulty. But if trophies only pop for the host, at least partially, how much more complicated does this make things? We are willing to use guides for our second playthrough of course.

Thanks for any info! But please, keep it spoiler-free ?

@Mori

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, 

Well it depends on the trophy, but many of the the trophies are unlocked by the player doing the action, speaks with person, unlocks the lock and so on. So when i was playing it in coop we just loaded after one of us got it and did it again so both of us got the trophy. 

There are at least one trophy you need a specific character to unlock, but except that if you do everything you will get most of the trophies. Good luck! It's one of my favorite games on the ps4 :D

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Haavve said:

Hello, 

Well it depends on the trophy, but many of the the trophies are unlocked by the player doing the action, speaks with person, unlocks the lock and so on. So when i was playing it in coop we just loaded after one of us got it and did it again so both of us got the trophy. 

There are at least one trophy you need a specific character to unlock, but except that if you do everything you will get most of the trophies. Good luck! It's one of my favorite games on the ps4 :D

Hey, thanks for the answer! 

If we do the first playthrough blind, then at least we can do the "save then do the action with the other character" on our second playthrough :)

But what about story-related and difficulty-related trophies? For some reason, I didn't get "Thunders of the Upper Deep" for escaping the Kraken in the tutorial area, but I got "The Great Escape" for escaping Fort Joy.. that seems kinda weird to me ? The host did get both trophies. 

Will both of us get the difficulty related trophies once we finish the game? 

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

But what about story-related and difficulty-related trophies? For some reason, I didn't get "Thunders of the Upper Deep" for escaping the Kraken in the tutorial area, but I got "The Great Escape" for escaping Fort Joy.. that seems kinda weird to me 1f605.png The host did get both trophies. 

That does sound kinda bugged.. I was the host when I played the game in coop, but I'm sure that we both got every story related and difficult related trophy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22.5.2020 at 11:25 AM, Haavve said:

That does sound kinda bugged.. I was the host when I played the game in coop, but I'm sure that we both got every story related and difficult related trophy.

Well I was hoping the first trophy would be a bug, but it just happened again. 

We just killed Radeka, I even had the pleasure to deal the final blow... But the host did get the trophy for killing her and I didn't... ?

It shouldn't really matter how we start the session, right? I mean, whether I get an invitation from the host to join his game, or I find the hosts's game myself... 

I'm really hoping that at least the difficulty-related trophies pop fine. This is really frustrating. 

7 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Well I was hoping the first trophy would be a bug, but it just happened again. 

We just killed Radeka, I even had the pleasure to deal the final blow... But the host did get the trophy for killing her and I didn't... 1f615.png

It shouldn't really matter how we start the session, right? I mean, whether I get an invitation from the host to join his game, or I find the hosts's game myself... 

I'm really hoping that at least the difficulty-related trophies pop fine. This is really frustrating. 

Ahh.. that really sucks. Granted all of those early trophies are really easy to get on explorer mode :)

Honestly I don't know if how you start the session affects the trophies. To me it sounds like your save file is bugged. But since I played the game with a console "noob", I'm 95% sure that I invited him every time. 

I thought only the host earned trophies when playing in online co-op so I'm surprised you've managed to get any to unlock to be honest.

I know that was definitely the case for the first game, only the host of the session earned the trophies. 

It is different for local co-op though, both players earn the trophies if playing in local co-op.

On 5/22/2020 at 5:25 AM, Haavve said:

I was playing with a buddy and he didn't get any trophy all the way out of Fort Joy. I was the host. Makes sense I guess but I've seen people say they're able to get trophies as a client so idk. Maybe a patch changed this without notes?

6 hours ago, RoxasOnFire said:

I was playing with a buddy and he didn't get any trophy all the way out of Fort Joy. I was the host. Makes sense I guess but I've seen people say they're able to get trophies as a client so idk. Maybe a patch changed this without notes?

Hmm I don't know. We played the entire game together in coop and both got every trophy along the way... But I do know its a common problem in many games that the client dosen't get any story related trophies..

8 hours ago, PeachyJacobs said:

I thought only the host earned trophies when playing in online co-op so I'm surprised you've managed to get any to unlock to be honest.

Yeah that's what I thought would happen at first when I didn't get the very first story-related trophy... then I got some to pop, now again nothing ? Seems a bit random, too, since it's not like you get all story-related and no misc-trophies or the other way around. It's all over the place. 

I just hope that we will at least both get the difficulty-related trophies, otherwise we'll have to do the Honour-mode playthrough on our own. 

7 hours ago, RoxasOnFire said:

I was playing with a buddy and he didn't get any trophy all the way out of Fort Joy. I was the host. Makes sense I guess but I've seen people say they're able to get trophies as a client so idk. 

Hmm did you stop playing in coop after Fort Joy, or did he get trophies from that point onward? I've gotten three trophies thus far as a client, of which one is misc (Fort Joy Arena, even though the host initiated the event), and two story-related trophies. 

Edited by Arcesius

11 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Yeah that's what I thought would happen at first when I didn't get the very first story-related trophy... then 

Hmm did you stop playing in coop after Fort Joy, or did he get trophies from that point onward? I've gotten three trophies thus far as a client, of which one is misc (Fort Joy Arena, even though the host initiated the event), and two story-related trophies. 

We went all the way to where you get the ship. It was the NA version. I have both so I started solo on the EU one. Haven't tried that region mp yet. And we did the arena, cat, and a few misc ones and nothing popped for me. He's not even a trophy hunter so I prolly should have hosted lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend I've managed to get the Platinum together with a friend. We each created our own character.
We did 2 playthroughs where we did focus on the first run (on Standard difficulty to get used to the game mechanics) to get all missable trophies out of our way. The 2nd run was for Honour Mode (and other difficulty trophies) and Chosen (we missed that one on the first run where we didnt bring (forgot) any companions from Fort Joy so that trophy was voided with only 2 human created characters).

All the sessions were hosted by me (playin Fane), and he (playing Sebille) joined my games. Almost all trophies I got he did as well.
Some trophies are depending on the player that is doing the action and/or conversation, meaning on the player doing the specific action/conversation gets the trophy. For those we did a simple reload last save, switch characters and then my friend redoed the actions so he got the same trophy.
But for the most trophies both of us got them at the same time.

Edited by Tijgertje84

1 minute ago, Tijgertje84 said:

Last weekend I've managed to get the Platinum together with a friend.
We did 2 playthroughs where we did focus to get all missable trophies out of our way.
The 2nd run was for Honour Mode and Chosen (we missed that one on the first run where we didnt bring (forgot) any companions from Fort Joy so that trophy was voided with only 2 human created characters).

All the sessions were hosted by me (playin Fane), and he (playing Sebille) joined my games. Almost all trophies I got he did as well.
Some trophies are depending on the player that is doing the action and/or conversation, meaning on the player doing the specific action/conversation gets the trophy. For those we did a simple reload last save, switch characters and then my friend redoed the actions so he got the same trophy.
But for the most trophies both of us got them at the same time.

Happy that you two got it to work, it's a great game for coop and a shame that it doesn't seem to work reliably most of the time. 

However, I have a new theory. Last session, I got all story-related trophies that the host got as well. This time, I joined his game from the lobby, instead of being invited to join the game. In previous sessions I had also joined the game by invitation, and I'm not 100% sure that I failed to get trophies exactly then, but I do think so. 

I'll make sure to join the game myself for future sessions and see if there are still trophies that refuse to pop. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to reiterate on the trophy specifics. 

Some trophies pop for both the host AND the other player(s). As an example myself & @bobthecrazydog earned all trophies together up until Act 2 with just one of us doing the action. With the current exception being the quest with peep the bird. (that popped for both of us.)

However upon reaching Meister Siva, I spoke to them & we both completed the following fight & only Bob managed to get the trophy. So just make sure there's uses of multiple saves after a quest line or before starting another. (You should be doing this anyway.)

3 hours ago, MickeyMixLipa said:

Just wanted to reiterate on the trophy specifics. 

Some trophies pop for both the host AND the other player(s). As an example myself & @bobthecrazydog earned all trophies together up until Act 2 with just one of us doing the action. With the current exception being the quest with peep the bird. (that popped for both of us.)

However upon reaching Meister Siva, I spoke to them & we both completed the following fight & only Bob managed to get the trophy. So just make sure there's uses of multiple saves after a quest line or before starting another. (You should be doing this anyway.)

Just to make sure, did you always join the game the same way? I noticed, as stated above, that whenever I would get an invitation from the host to join his game, I would not get trophies. But since I started just joining a game by searching for it in the game-menu, I have had no trouble getting all trophies to pop, even as the client. 

16 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Just to make sure, did you always join the game the same way? I noticed, as stated above, that whenever I would get an invitation from the host to join his game, I would not get trophies. But since I started just joining a game by searching for it in the game-menu, I have had no trouble getting all trophies to pop, even as the client. 

Yeah we've always done it via the invites and it still bugged out. Seems to be touch and go, either way it's best off keeping the saves updated and not overwriting it. 

1 hour ago, MickeyMixLipa said:

Yeah we've always done it via the invites and it still bugged out.

Exactly. My claim is the opposite... I claim that the trophies unlock properly also for the client if you don't use the invites, but instead search for the game via the game menu ? I might have been lucky though, but since I join the game that way, I have had every single trophy pop without issues. 

• Like 1

On 06/10/2020 at 2:45 PM, Arcesius said:

Exactly. My claim is the opposite... I claim that the trophies unlock properly also for the client if you don't use the invites, but instead search for the game via the game menu 1f642.png I might have been lucky though, but since I join the game that way, I have had every single trophy pop without issues. 

@MickeyMixLipa and I will try and give that a go later. I did join via the lobby once, but half the time it doesn't seem to appear anyway even after the invite is sent.

Edit: we tried it. Nothing changed. Most of the trophies in the session popped for both of us still, but the one with Fane crossing on the ferry only popped for Mickey and the one for taming the condor only popped for me. The one using Fane for the philosopher popped for both of us. There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to it, other than if the trophy involves the use of a particular character or a particular skill only one character has at the time, there is a chance of it going wrong.

Edited by bobthecrazydog
Update

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We've now made it to Act 3 and have encountered one, maybe two glitches:

- We had the items for the Anathema related quest in Act 2, but Tarquin refused to accept the second item. Having looked elsewhere, this seems to be a glitch that quite a few people have encountered. Basically means that trophy will not be possible this play through.

- The Chosen trophy didn't pop. Both of us have a main and side character, but seems like we can only persuade our own team rather than each others, and neither of us got it. Might reload and try another method like reallocating all characters to one player, but is definitely annoying even if it isn't technically a glitch.

All in all the game is great fun co-op, but the trophies are a complete pain in the arse.

Update: 

- The One trophy only popped for one of us because only one of us could claim to have beaten the previous two (as we had to each reload for them). So need to go back to act 1 to get that one.

- Now reached Act 4. Ironically Tarquin tells us off for not giving him the anathema pieces. Except he has them and is just being an arse. Waiting now to see whether any more glitch on us. The path of blood trophy we had to do twice for a start.

Update 2:

- Now finished our play through. Arhu trophy popped for both of us. Toyseller didn't. Ending trophies popped for both of us. 

- Never had so many connection problems and crashes in a game. It was ok in Acts 1 and 2, started playing up a bit in Act 3 and by the time we got to Act 4 we'd barely get anything done and most sessions were more looking at loading screens than anything else. Crashes always seemed to be conveniently timed when we had just done something really well or finished a difficult battle."Oh, you want to save? No chance." "Congratula....hah, April fool, in December!" Seriously felt like it was trolling us.

Final update:

Platinumed the game. Ending trophies popped for both of us, and Angels and Demons despite one of us being dead. Most annoying one was Chosen. Somehow it worked when I gave control of the lead and two side characters, but not any other combination.

Edited by bobthecrazydog
Updated
  • Like 1