Just bought the game - Died twice within 10 minutes.

DaveMcDamage

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

HG have a support site where you can not only report technical problems but also give feedback so feel free to send them a few suggestions on how to improve certain aspects of the game :): https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

For additional tips and tricks, please see the following Youtube channels:

Xaine's World: LINK
KhrazeGaming: LINK

To be fair them the only thing I would completely change is how it all starts and thats not gonna happen so not gonna waste mine of there time on that. In terms of gameplay suggestions I guess it comes to how much stuff they already have on it. Its easy for me to say the hacking is s**t and it should have been done better, but then when you think of the grand scale of things its a small niggle. I just think it hits you suddenly in how they wanted a hack to be completed which throws you right off. 

I know what you mean about finding the right area for a base. I was forever never finishing settlements on Fallout 4 because something about the surrounding area would always piss me off. At least with this game I don't have anything like that to worry about and the planet choice for base is more on an aesthetic setting and then deciding on base structure. But this is why this is also my last ever video game. I can do what I want when I want and then change it up when I feel. 

When it comes to getting a new ship, I take it you buy them from the guys at the space stations when you see the ships arrive?

I stepped away from teh main story stuff and went back to side missions. I now have a weapons maker and he now needs some Vykern daggers. Got an idea where to try for them, if only I can remember the frikkin system where I need to go. Still early in the game though, so shouldn't take too long. 

@HuntingFever

Guess what man. Got a question :D

So there I was buying data maps because I get the gist of those now and how to go about reaching new stuff. Well I just bought a map to take me to a distress signal. I get there and theres this down spacecraft so I go and investigate and then it asks me to compare to my own. My default ship is worth about 500K units, this downship is worth 8 frikkin millions :o So I claimed it.

Now unlike when I bought a new multi-tool and it got rid of my old one even, I still have my first ship right there. The new find is wrecked and so its all about repairing it and  as well as having way more slots, its also got a lot of groovy tech with it, albeit broken to s**t. So lets say I repair this new ship and fly off, what happens to my default ship and how can I get my default ship back to my main base until I decide what to do with it? Or is it best to jus abandon it?

Also. I saw a vid where it looked like a gamer was moving stuff from one multi-tool to another but I couldn't do that. Can you also do that with spaceships?

You can't swap ships until you get a freighter, then both ships will appear in its hanger bay after you warp to a new system. Fixing broken ships is a very costly business that runs into the high millions so is only worth it for A, S and Exotic Class ships. You can scrap your current ship by visiting a Space Station and using the Ship terminal to break it down into Nanites and saleable materials but you can end up losing money by spending more on repairs than what the terminal will give you back in scrap so stick to repairing the basics and forget the rest.

Before claiming a new ship, you will be given the option to move cargo from one ship to the other but failing to do so at that point will mean having to mess around moving the cargo into your exosuit then entering the other ship and moving it from your exosuit into the ship. I've no idea about the Multi-Tool trick, because I've only got the one Multi-Tool so can't try it for myself.

4 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

You can't swap ships until you get a freighter, then both ships will appear in its hanger bay after you warp to a new system. Fixing broken ships is a very costly business that runs into the high millions so is only worth it for A, S and Exotic Class ships. You can scrap your current ship by visiting a Space Station and using the Ship terminal to break it down into Nanites and saleable materials but you can end up losing money by spending more on repairs than what the terminal will give you back in scrap so stick to repairing the basics and forget the rest.

Before claiming a new ship, you will be given the option to move cargo from one ship to the other but failing to do so at that point will mean having to mess around moving the cargo into your exosuit then entering the other ship and moving it from your exosuit into the ship. I've no idea about the Multi-Tool trick, because I've only got the one Multi-Tool so can't try it for myself.

Unfortunately when I loaded up the save my original ship as gone and I was left with the broken one. Had no choice but to do repairs. Still lots of tech on it that is broken simply because I haven't come across the parts or minerals to fix it just yet. 

I continued with Apollos mission where you meet this huge red orb and get teleported to some crazy rubix cube planet. Go out of there and deciding on what to do next. Even when the ship was broken it was valued at 8 million units, do you reckon I should do a swap?. It has pretty much the same stats as the default ship in terms of sheids, has a about 20+ slots and the weakest is the gun fire, but I still held of pirates and stuff like that with it. But for looks its like a single decker bus lol. 

17 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

Wisdom-wisdom-wisdom

Thats some damn fine wisdom you gave there, chief. 

Ok I think this should be the last thing I need to ask and then I can leave you alone. 

Here are the trophies I have unlocked so far...

The stars like dust
Foundation
Babel 17
Contact
Use of weapons
The space merchants
The language of pao
symphony of a lost traveller
The diamond age

DLC
Cradle
Reunion

Now out of those I have all story related trophies done right, there no actual trophy for the end story or anything like that? So if I can get this 'Purge' quest done, theres still 2 other main quests on there but off the top of my head I can't remember what they're called. One is something like Atlus trail, and the other is to do with the anomaly and it has a progress bar and says talk with Nada and Pala or whatever they're called about black holes and some other guff. If you do Purge do they get cancelled out? Sort of like in Skyrim where making one choice will close out the other. 

Basically I got to the point where it asked if I wanted to go to the center of the galaxy, continue this Atlus this or explore. But it doesn't really seem to matter at that point how you answer it if you can't go to the center straight away. 

And finally. How the hell do I find this center galaxy lol. 

EDIT

Okay. I got to a part where you find an Atlus station, black diamon shape and then morphing red ball is inside again. I went through some of the choices and one said something about accept and mentioned Beyond update. Then it went away. Now I have to find 16 glyph things. Is this still part of the purge because if so this is one slow purge. 

I cannot stress how angry this story makes me. Its so mind numbingly dull, that its embarrassing to read. Whoever wrote this s**t must be the most religious conspiracy theorist ever. But I love the exploring and the planet venturing etc etc, its just this story is beyond dog s**t and its really getting to me. Because of the trophies I have now earned, would you suggest I just ditch the story entirely and start over from scratch, leaving anything to do with the story well alone?

Edited by DaveMcDamage

2 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Thats some damn fine wisdom you gave there, chief. 

Ok I think this should be the last thing I need to ask and then I can leave you alone. 

Here are the trophies I have unlocked so far...

The stars like dust
Foundation
Babel 17
Contact
Use of weapons
The space merchants
The language of pao
symphony of a lost traveller
The diamond age

DLC
Cradle
Reunion

Now out of those I have all story related trophies done right, there no actual trophy for the end story or anything like that? So if I can get this 'Purge' quest done, theres still 2 other main quests on there but off the top of my head I can't remember what they're called. One is something like Atlus trail, and the other is to do with the anomaly and it has a progress bar and says talk with Nada and Pala or whatever they're called about black holes and some other guff. If you do Purge do they get cancelled out? Sort of like in Skyrim where making one choice will close out the other. 

Basically I got to the point where it asked if I wanted to go to the center of the galaxy, continue this Atlus this or explore. But it doesn't really seem to matter at that point how you answer it if you can't go to the center straight away. 

And finally. How the hell do I find this center galaxy lol. 

EDIT

Okay. I got to a part where you find an Atlus station, black diamon shape and then morphing red ball is inside again. I went through some of the choices and one said something about accept and mentioned Beyond update. Then it went away. Now I have to find 16 glyph things. Is this still part of the purge because if so this is one slow purge. 

I cannot stress how angry this story makes me. Its so mind numbingly dull, that its embarrassing to read. Whoever wrote this s**t must be the most religious conspiracy theorist ever. But I love the exploring and the planet venturing etc etc, its just this story is beyond dog s**t and its really getting to me. Because of the trophies I have now earned, would you suggest I just ditch the story entirely and start over from scratch, leaving anything to do with the story well alone?

Finish the Artemis storyline (of which the Purge is the final stage of it) and you will get all 16 Glyphs, just by warping to 16 random systems so will take you no more than 10mins to get all of them - there's no need to faff around with the Travellers and trying to find their graves :). The story was co-written by Dave Gibbons (the co-writer of Watchmen), long time collaborator with the Legendary graphic novel writer "Alan Moore". Personally, I love the story but I can understand how it can be an acquired taste. The Galactic Center has its own waypoint in the Galaxy Map so follow that and you will get there in about 60-80+hrs, though probably less if you know how to use the Black Holes correctly.

You can ignore the story but I don't recommend a newcomer to the game take that route, because you will be left utterly clueless as to how everything works and be locked out of certain technologies that will make your life so much easier in the long run. Since you've already got nearly 1/3 of the trophies, you're better off staying on your current course and carrying on as-is.

7 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

Finish the Artemis storyline (of which the Purge is the final stage of it) and you will get all 16 Glyphs, just by warping to 16 random systems so will take you no more than 10mins to get all of them - there's no need to faff around with the Travellers and trying to find their graves :)

See thats what I hate. How the hell are you supposed to know that warping to 16 random systems will get you what you need?? Not having a pop at you there mate, I'm grateful as s**t for you telling me. Though I do  remember seeing a beginner vid where they mentioned something about not collecting the glyph's as you will get them all in one section, I take it this is what you were talking about? 

I better get building some warp containers then lol. 

So when you say it takes 60-80 hours to reach the galaxy center. Is there a reason for that, like theres 80 hours worth of further specific quests to get through or something? And is getting to the center actually a story requirement or was it just a trophy specific task?

Sorry man I was hoping to stop pestering you but clearly not.

EDIT

Well I did the 16 warps, wiped Atlus. Basically restarts the game by saying the life cycle never ends in such a cop-out way. This is some f**king lazy writing, but when you said it was by the guy who wrote Watchmen it makes sense. That prick made super heros pretentious and in this story he basically says no matter what you try to find out its pointless. Such a lazy prick way to tell what otherwise has the potential to be an amazing adventure, but this is what happens when you have a human trying to think like a God(s)/Creator. 

Anyway it boosted me into a new planet and all my items were broken to s**t. Got the mine gun working after reloading a save, now I'm on a planet with no hazardous air. Got to ask. So now that the story is over, why is all the missions still there? Is that just from lazy development or is there a reason? Stuff like side missions and that Atlus path etc. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

Having not spent much time in another galaxy (I deleted my Permadeath save after a friend gave me a taxi ride to the centre) I can't say how things how things progress from here but I imagine it will restart the story from scratch, though I can't be 100% sure of that ?. Each Galaxy is a new adventure and chance to see things from a different perspective, because every one of them has a different setup of planets so it's possible to end up in one with more peaceful worlds than Euclid and see planets which are weirder and more wacky than any you've seen before etc. If you have a save from before you left Euclid, then you can reload it and finish up the trophies there instead :). Also, some missions are perpetual e.g. exploring the Galaxy and setting your own destiny, visiting the Base Terminal every day, doing the Daily Community missions etc.

2 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

Having not spent much time in another galaxy (I deleted my Permadeath save after a friend gave me a taxi ride to the centre) I can't say how things how things progress from here but I imagine it will restart the story from scratch, though I can't be 100% sure of that ?. Each Galaxy is a new adventure and chance to see things from a different perspective, because every one of them has a different setup of planets so it's possible to end up in one with more peaceful worlds than Euclid and see planets which are weirder and more wacky than any you've seen before etc. If you have a save from before you left Euclid, then you can reload it and finish up the trophies there instead :). Also, some missions are perpetual e.g. exploring the Galaxy and setting your own destiny, visiting the Base Terminal every day, doing the Daily Community missions etc.

Well I went reset Altus and picked a different galaxy. You can still warp to your old galaxy though and I had to do that because all my gear and ship was broken, so it was easier to go to them. 

I'm gonna look into that taxi stuff and probably work on a permadeath profile to get those two trophies out the way. All my stats seem to be the same even after starting in a new galaxy, met 70 aliens, learned 101 words and those stats are building on my normal playthrough. 

So when I start the game I just select a different slot and start a permadeath and it won't erase my normal file?

ALSO.

You mentioned to get to the center on permadeath without the taxi method, it could take 80-100 hours. So I take it when you meet Atlus at the end of that story and you reset, you're not actually at the center? Either way I still don't get the 80+ hour thing. Is there something in particular that causes such a massive time requirement?

Edited by DaveMcDamage

3 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Well I went reset Altus and picked a different galaxy. You can still warp to your old galaxy though and I had to do that because all my gear and ship was broken, so it was easier to go to them. 

I'm gonna look into that taxi stuff and probably work on a permadeath profile to get those two trophies out the way. All my stats seem to be the same even after starting in a new galaxy, met 70 aliens, learned 101 words and those stats are building on my normal playthrough. 

So when I start the game I just select a different slot and start a permadeath and it won't erase my normal file?

ALSO.

You mentioned to get to the center on permadeath without the taxi method, it could take 80-100 hours. So I take it when you meet Atlus at the end of that story and you reset, you're not actually at the center? Either way I still don't get the 80+ hour thing. Is there something in particular that causes such a massive time requirement?

Correct. Completing the Atlas storyline won't send you to another galaxy or even to the centre of Euclid, just birth a random planet somewhere in the Galaxy. If you follow the Artemis storyline to its conclusion, then you will go to the centre of the galaxy. The reason it takes so damn long to manually reach the centre, is because your ship can only jump a few light years in one go so to reach the centre, will take about 600-800 jumps (depending on your ship and what upgrades you have installed) which in total, amounts to 60-80hrs of doing nothing but warping, though using the Black Holes will shave some time off that amount, though you will have to repair your ship after each jump because of the random component that will break, which in turn adds more time to the total. if you boost the Survival mode trophies, then all you have to do, is complete the tutorial then make it to a space station and ask a friend who's at a space station on the boundary of the Galactic centre, to invite you to their game. Once you're in their game, they will give you either 5 Warp Cells or 1 Warp Hypercore that you have to use as fuel for your Hyperdrive then leave the station, bring up your Galaxy Map and set the Galactic Centre as your destination. Just before you hit the centre, a prompt will appear to press and hold Square so do that but don't let go of it else the jump will fail and boot you back to the boundary. Eventually, you will get a trippy starfield sequence then a brief cutscene and you'll find yourself on a random planet in another Galaxy.

Here's a video on how to use Black Holes efficiently and cut your journey time down:

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typos.

Holy s**t! Its just a game man! Devs need to chill out lol. Jesus!!!!!

If they ever do an other update I hope they put in something that gets you there much quicker. Yeah you can do the taxi thing, but did they really think warping over and over was a good idea? Thats 80 hours that could have gone into proper exploration, hunting, building, and instead they thought the gamer should spend that warping? Stupid idiots. But again, only a problem because they tied a friggin trophy to such a stupid thing. 

EDIT

Okay. Just got the blueprints for the hyperdrive on permadeath. Its gonna take me a while because the air is toxic and battling with life support and so I have to be in and out of buildings/my ship, there's sentinels everywhere, and now I need 5 processor chips and 135 of that processed copper material. Plus I might have to find more buried treasure so I can build a manual save machine just for further backup in case I screw and autosave up by spending too much, or getting the wrong stuff.

Gotta say though, @HuntingFever, I get why you don't play permadeath mode. I can understand a survival mode where things are a bit more limited. But a permadeath mode in a game like this makes no sense. You don't even have to be near an enemy and the hit registers because basically the devs didn't build for combat. Gah!

It actually makes me appreciate normal mode though and how you can just enjoy it at your own pace. Hopefully I can get help with that taxi boost to get the 2 trophies, and then get back to the nomal game which I was finally starting to get and enjoy. Gonna have to leave it for the rest of the day though, PD mode sucks the life and enjoyment out of you lol. Need to recharge.

Edited by DaveMcDamage