Is it "cheating" if I use guides to platinum a game?

Erayserbeam

11 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Oh man the all night gaming sleepovers we did too with a couple friends the same age as my brother and I. Would have Goldeneye tournaments. Would play games like South Park without their parents knowing. Then we’d watch James Bond Movies. Sorry also for your loss

I even got my Baby Boomer father to play Goldeneye 007 with me. We'd set the multiplayer to have proximity mines, would play the level after the Dam. Sometimes we'd have rocket launchers and we'd kill each other endlessly.

I watched all the Bond movies Pierce was in. Daniel Craig just doesn't give me the same feeling. James Bond is doing much better than Star Wars. That franchise is in the toilet.

• Like 2

I would say that it is not cheating. I do think that we should be wary of spoilers though, so that it does not take away from the good stuff.

If anything, I think guides allow us to uncover content that we may not normally find with a game. Basically, getting your money's worth and enjoying it more than you would blind. I think about trying to get the plat on high difficulty 100% completion game and I feel like a lot of folks would get burned out and enjoy the game potentially less.

Guides also can help build our community and keep the trophy hunters alive. Use guides and create guides please!

There are plenty of "guides" on the internet that walk readers through the process of manipulating game lobbies (CoD BO 2 being a prime example).

Guides are just instructions on how to do something. They aren't cheating in of themselves, it's the content of the guide that matters.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No why on earth would they be, they are just the evolved form of school playground rumors except a lot more reliable .

Even in the gba days you had strategy guides and there were whole sections of gaming magazines dedicated to giving tips. The concept isnt new it's just a lot more convenient nowadays.

3 hours ago, charxsetsuna said:

No why on earth would they be, they are just the evolved form of school playground rumors except a lot more reliable .

Even in the gba days you had strategy guides and there were whole sections of gaming magazines dedicated to giving tips. The concept isnt new it's just a lot more convenient nowadays.

Guides have existed long before that.  I'd honestly say that they have existed as long as games have.  I can say that there are definitely some old school games that you probably would never beat without a guide.  There are even some older games that came with guides, like Phantasy Star II came with its strategy guide.  There are also guides that are even written by the developer themselves and provided with the game or for free on their website.  Some devs also sell their guides and buying a guide like that can be looked at as another way to support a dev whose games you enjoy.

As far as the topic goes, I don't think it is cheating to use a guide.  I only think that using a guide can detract from the experience and it would be up to each player as to whether they want to jump in blind or whether they want to consult a guide right off and risk spoilers and lessened challenge.  Neither method of playing is wrong.  It also can depend on how in depth the guide is, what format it is, and what sort of game it is.  For example, using a guide for a POWGI game that gives you all the solutions and not even trying to figure them out can defeat the purpose of playing the game, but to some people their only purpose in playing the game is an easy and quick plat.  It's not cheating, but they are detracting from their experience in playing the game by not even attempting to solve the puzzles on their own.

I never saw a guide as cheating. I always saw it more as a time saver than anything else. I know I am going to get to the destination eventually but the guide actually just helps me to get there faster. Not to sound old but back in my day they had this magazine called Nintendo Power they you could subscribe to and each month you would get this magazine full of guides for all the latest games.