How many of you bought the original FF7 after finishing this?

Just beat the remake today and its my first final fantasy game and I was definitely surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did.  So much so that I bought the original immediately afterwards as I can't wait for 10 years to find out the entire story and I also want to read about what they changed without spoiling the original for myself. Did anyone else do this? How are you guys finding the original after playing the remake first? 

• Like 1

I played all ff games except ff 11 and 14. I started with final fantasy legends 2 on gameboy when i was 7 years old around and final fantasy 2 on snes. Dat was 1994  around XD. Every1 should play ff 7 remake. If any1 knew to the series get also 7,8 and 9 on the ps 4. Or buy a raspberry pi 3b or 4 and get all ff games on it. 

I bought it because it was on sale for half price. This makes the fourth time I have purchased FFVII (two copies of the original PS1 game, one PC copy back when physical PC games were still a thing, and now the digital PS4 version).

I guess I sort of like the game.

8 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

I bought it because it was on sale for half price. This makes the fourth time I have purchased FFVII (two copies of the original PS1 game, one PC copy back when physical PC games were still a thing, and now the digital PS4 version).

I guess I sort of like the game.

Yeah I think bought the original FF VII about 6 times in the last 21 years. four copies on PS1, the digital PS3 version and the digital PS4 version.

3 minutes ago, Bawzton said:

FF6 was def released as FF3 in the states. 

Oh yeah my bad. It seems FF IV was called FF II in NA and VI was FF III.

Still FF VI was the game released in 1994 on SNES not IV.

1 hour ago, Cloudbahamut said:

For me it's the other way around. I have been playing FF for 21 years and FF VII was actually my first FF game in 1999. Since then I have beaten it over 30 times and also platinumed the original a few years ago.

I imagine that playing the original after the Remake can be a very jarring experience though because of the heavily outdated graphics and visual presentation. It was groundbreaking in it's time but visually the game did not age well, especially if you compare the blocky character models and painted backgrounds to the Remakes character models. When I watched the movie "Advent Children" (The sequel to FF VII) for the first time I was blown away because for the first time I got to see what those characters were actually meant to look like.

FF VII was something of a bridge between the 2D sprites era of FF I-VI (on NES/SNES) and the polygon FFs VIII, IX and X (PS1 and PS2). FF VIII for example looks much much better then VII, there was an enormous visual leap between those game and VIII was the first game where they really let go of the remnants of that Nintendo era (visually I mean).

On the other hand I kind of feel sorry for people who never played the original before the Remake. Because for me personally several of the most emotional and powerful moments in the Remake (from seeing certain scenes from the original to hearing some of the most iconic songs from the originals soundtrack) would have never been this powerful if I had never played the original before. There were moments in the Remake which were exactly how I had imagined them from the original for so many years with 3D cutscenes and voice acting. It was so surreal to finally see these moments in the Remake.

Or often I would have to pause the game in the middle of a fight because songs like "Those who fight", "Those who fight further" or "One Winged Angel" from the original were playing and I was so overwhelmed with raw emotion that I had actual tears of joy in my eyes or would just yell out loudly from pure excitement. Or when "Aeriths Theme" plays when you meet Aerith in the church. Moments like that. It was so powerful and so special. But it would never had that emotionally profound impact on me if I had never played the original before the Remake.

So the people who never played the original will never have this emotional experience and connection with the Remake as I did. Simple scenes like seeing Red XIII for the first time and hearing the Cosmo Canyon theme gave me such chills. And nobody who never played the original before will ever be able to understand that.

Just for the emotional experience alone I would STRONGLY recommend to anyone who wants to get into the Final Fantasy series and play FF VII to play the original first. Or they will really miss out on a lot of the emotional impact of the Remake and never get the full experience of it.

Not to mention the fact that unlike other Remakes the FF VII Remake is actually connected story-wise to the original as well and is building on it. In fact I think that people who never played the original won't really understand the final chapter and ending of the first Remake game at all. You practically have to know the lore and story of the original to understand it (and even then it's still confusing the first time around) which I think is a very bold move by Square Enix. They practically designed the Remake to be a game specifically for longtime players of FF VII and much less for newcomers.

I am personally not so concerned about the graphics but more worried about the combat since I am generally not a huge fan of turn based combat so that's one of the reasons why this remake spoke to me since it's a combination of both. Yeah I kinda regret not playing the original before not for the emotional reasons you mentioned because I think those won't really land now since I am essentially playing both games back to back but it would been impressive from a design standpoint to see how they have used modern technology to better realize the ideas they weren't able to back in the day  and to understand the story(last chapter) better. 

My first Final Fantasy was IX, never did care much for VII actually when I was a child.

My first full playthrough of FF 7 would not materia-lize (see what I did there? Gosh, I'm so clever.) for another 15 or so years. 'Twas around 2014, I believe. I liked it, sure, but it definitely wasn't my favorite FF experience by a long shot.

I always 'got' why people wanted a remake but was never really among those who'd call for the reunion.

Until I played the damn game. Like holy cow, this game is dripping love and money and I'm so on board the hype train I can't even

I bought the original once I finished FF7R and I will 100% that fucker.

I also really want to get the FF7R Platinum, which would be my first one since about 2 years.

I just stuck with the original FF7. While I can appreciate that the remake is good, it's not for me.

22 minutes ago, LOL_Jokke97 said:

Yeah, bought 7-13, never played them before as I am the same age as FF VII 1f602.png My first were 15 and liked that, Remake sold me on the series in general.

You missed the best one! Get 6

• Like 2

I’ve considered it, but I got the story spoiled anyway, and the graphics do not get a check from me. With all the games I’ve yet to play on the wish list, I guess it is a pass.

You’ve to play a few more games to experience the full story anyway, so I’m hoping they actually include all that stuff somehow in the next games. Maybe even surprise us with a DLC for Zack’s story while they keep working on the second episode?

16 hours ago, abhinandhan22 said:

I am personally not so concerned about the graphics but more worried about the combat since I am generally not a huge fan of turn based combat so that's one of the reasons why this remake spoke to me since it's a combination of both. Yeah I kinda regret not playing the original before not for the emotional reasons you mentioned because I think those won't really land now since I am essentially playing both games back to back but it would been impressive from a design standpoint to see how they have used modern technology to better realize the ideas they weren't able to back in the day  and to understand the story(last chapter) better. 

Trust me if you had played the original before the Remake, then the Remake would have been an entirely different and much more powerful emotional experience.

My first final fantasy was either 4 or 6 but they had different numbers cause they was in super Nintendo so I think it was 2 and 3 on there. Buy 6 is the one that made me fall in love with the games I've played them all at some point or other over the years I havnt started 7 remake yet though but the original 7 was good not my top fav but it's up there :)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the original on the ps4 for the remake theme. Played it up until the end of midgar, which was basically when this game ends, then never went back. Random encounter + turn based combat is such a huge turnoff that I just can't do it anymore.

52 minutes ago, AppleJinx said:

I bought the original on the ps4 for the remake theme. Played it up until the end of midgar, which was basically when this game ends, then never went back. Random encounter + turn based combat is such a huge turnoff that I just can't do it anymore.

There is an option to turn off random encounter whenever you want on the ps4 version..did you know that? There is also the 3x in battle to speed things up which was a BIG help in the turn based combat.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:25 PM, Cloudbahamut said:

Trust me if you had played the original before the Remake, then the Remake would have been an entirely different and much more powerful emotional experience.

I definitely agree. It's going to happen for a few that choose to play this remake and never played the original or even a Final Fantasy game before. If I was new and played the remake first..a lot of things definitely would not make sense for me for my first playthrough. It makes no sense to play the remake first then go play the original. Its greatly more enjoyable since I've played it back during the 90s and platinum'd the game on the ps4 version a few months ago. So much detail and love was put into the game. Yes I feel the remake is not perfect and has its flaws but its how they modernized the 97 classic was amazing!

Edited by nooitzben

• 2 weeks later...

I actually played the original for the first time on my PSP as part of the PS1 classics way back in 2010. However, once I reached disc 3 the game would have severe lag issues that made the game nearly unplayable. I tried starting a new game but had the same lag issues once I reached disc 3 for a second time so I never finished the game. I bought the game a second time back in 2018 when I saw that the PS4 remaster was on sale. However, after playing for two hours I discovered that turn based combat was a lot more boring then I remembered. I just platinumed the remake an hour ago so maybe one day I will return and actually finish the original game after ten years.

On ‎27‎.‎04‎.‎2020 at 3:16 PM, abhinandhan22 said:

and to understand the story(last chapter) better. 

That would be the tricky part. The last chapter is kinda "plot twist" in the story.

Spoiler

You noticed the whispers within the game. Those don't exist in the original. In the remake they appear when the story begins to differ from the original and keep it the way the original went. E.g. before the 2nd bombing mission the hurt Jessy, in order that Cloud will join that mission, because he did in the original. Or they revive Barret at the Shinra HQ, because he didn't die in the original. The original is the "fate" the whispers want to preserve.

Well... in the last chapter in the remake (wich doesn't exist in the original at all) we destroyed the whispers; so the story can now unfold in any direction.

I suggest to buy and play the original (PS4-Versions has those aforementioned time saving tools) and afterwards you should play the remake again (shouldn't take too long with the chapter-select-NG+-variant). This way you will notice so many little details within the whole game loaded with emotions; letting water you eyes, get you shocked or bring you a smile on your face.

Edited by Grinhorn
Spoiler

19 hours ago, Grinhorn said:

That would be the tricky part. The last chapter is kinda "plot twist" in the story.

Reveal hidden contents

You noticed the whispers within the game. Those don't exist in the original. In the remake they appear when the story begins to differ from the original and keep it the way the original went. E.g. before the 2nd bombing mission the hurt Jessy, in order that Cloud will join that mission, because he did in the original. Or they revive Barret at the Shinra HQ, because he didn't die in the original. The original is the "fate" the whispers want to preserve.

Well... in the last chapter in the remake (wich doesn't exist in the original at all) we destroyed the whispers; so the story can now unfold in any direction.

I suggest to buy and play the original (PS4-Versions has those aforementioned time saving tools) and afterwards you should play the remake again (shouldn't take too long with the chapter-select-NG+-variant). This way you will notice so many little details within the whole game loaded with emotions; letting water you eyes, get you shocked or bring you a smile on your face.

That's exactly what I intend to do soon.