What was your last positive pre-order/day-one purchase?

Merco

As backstory, I rarely buy games on release date anymore, and performance considerations are a big part of that. As an example, I bought Kingdom Come: Deliverance when it first came out, and saw all the glitches and bugs. As a result, I ended up not playing it for almost two years until after extensive patching.

There are plenty of horror stories out there about games that are released in an unfinished state, but there are enough of those to sink a battleship. What I'd like to hear about are those rarities, a good day-one purchase, or a game you pre-ordered and played when it first came out, and it all just worked. Back in the day, devs didn't have a chance to patch after release, so I'd like to know if you've taken the plunge on day one more recently and had an actual good time out of it.

• Like 1

All 5 of the games I've ever pre-ordered all ran fine and enjoyed immensely but they were all single player games. I don't recall any of them being buggy either. Sonic Generations, Dissdia 012, Metal Gear Solid V, Sekiro and Final Fantasy VII. Good luck patching a PSP game and I don't think FF7 has had a single update file yet.

The FOB online mode of MGSV was fine, I heard it was a little laggy at the start because of player overload but I thought it was alright and MGO3 that was released a little over a month later was fine too!

I've only ever preordered The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan at $30. "Pick your fate and ending" games are right up my alley. That, combined with a thriller story and being incredibly impressed with Until Dawn (same studio) made me preorder it. I thought the story was pretty good, and the coop was great. I don't think it lived up to my Until Dawn expectations, but it was a purchase I really enjoyed, so I don't regret it.

• Like 1

I bought Spyro: The Reignited Trilogy. The 2nd and 3rd games were my childhood, I just had buy them! :D Also it was 40€, so 3 "new" games for 40€ in an age where a new game it's sell by 70€ (sorry, sorry, my bad, 69,99€, because I'm gonna use that 1 cent to ?????). So it was a great deal, my 1st (and only) pre-order AND I enjoyed all of them.

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

You posted this in the Playstation 4 section, but my experience was with a PS3 title, Final Fantasy XIII. 

In hindsight I should have put it in Off Topic to open it up more. I'm starting to think that I've just been stung by a few bad experiences, given the above ?

I gave up pre-ordering games a long time a go. Some games were hyped to the moon and back and left me feeling meh. Same can be said about the FF7 remake honestly in terms of hype. I knew the amount of people interested was going to be high, old and new players to the series had taken interest, so they really had to blow it out of the water.

I can honestly say this was one of the best pre-orders I've done. The game to me is just an instant classic albeit the changes and it's not the full experience and won't be for a few years (who really knows). I've sunk so many hours into it. I've shown it to special people in my life and they've loved it and they're new fans themselves.

Very happy with what I bought.

It's probably more me lately than the games, but I'm looking at my shelf and I don't really see a ton of positive day one purchases.  I think the last one was Death Stranding.  Before that was probably Days Gone and/or Red Dead Redemption 2.  Which is funny because I normally don't have the patience for open world games.

Outside of Playstation, I think my main squeeze is probably Super Mario Maker 2.  Been totally worth every penny from day one.

Edited by Dreakon13

Hmm, probably. FF7 Remake is my first day 1 purchase since Kens Rage Fist Of the North Star (Japanese version) on PS3 about 10 years earlier. And before that MGS3 on PS2 almost another 10 years earlier.

I very rarely buy any game on day of release.

I think Death Stranding was pretty incredible. I remember not knowing what to make of it the first 2-3 hours, but after that I was all in. Hideo took a lot of risks with the game and in pre-ordering it, I felt like I was trusting in his expertise.

This also made me think of Fatal Frame 3/Project Zero 3 for PS2, which came out while I was in Marine Corps boot camp. I had preordered it beforehand and I was so excited to play it when I got out of boot. It wasn't as great as Fatal Frame 2, but I was still really happy with it. I partly joined the military b/c my girlfriend had broken up with me senior year and I was so ridiculously in love with her and I was just like screw it I'm out of here -- so I think I related to the protagonist of FF3 at the time (who's lover had died.) Not the same thing sure, but I felt a connection with the protagonist.

• Like 1