Moose is a platinum-blocker

JEDLander

Seriously does anybody know where to find a Moose? I've gone through about 7 '100% guaranteed' guides, tried all the areas that they're supposed to be. This just seems like a failure of the game at this point, it shouldn't take more than 6 hours to find an animal

I feel your pain. I searched on and off while playing other games for 4 months. Genuinely thought I’d never find it. Like you I had checked every guaranteed spot. I trolled through youtube for hours looking for spawning points and techniques. I read comment after comment of people thanking the uploader cause they’d finally found it but I could still never get the damn thing to spawn.

Then one day, about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I loaded up the game, went to check around Cairn Lake, laid out bait, reloaded, tried again, reloaded, tried again over and over and then it was there. 4 months of searching and I finally found it after half an hour of baiting and reloading up at that lake. Studied it, got my zoologist trophy, and then emptied my entire rifle clip into it cause was I hell letting it get away. Skinned it and got my skin deep trophy. I was shaking so violently with excitement I nearly dropped my controller. And I ran around my house screaming MOOSE at the top of my lungs. Fortunately, my family understood haha

It will turn up. I’d given up hope and then it spawned. Never been so pleased to see a grouping of pixels in my life.

• Like 4

Look around O Creagh's Run. If there isn't one, sleep, check again. Rinse and repeat a couple times.

If you find one after waking up but it's the wrong gender, just keep reloading that auto save and it'll swap genders.

If that doesn't work, go far away and sleep max times, save, load that save, sleep max times again and go back.

I got it inside of 45 minutes and it was one of the worst for me.

Those tips work for most animals as long as you know a spot they will spawn. It's just manipulating spawns. I think the Rio Grande Turkey is really the only one that can't be manipulated. Good luck with that one.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DreddPirateRobb said:

I was in your shoes with the 3 star skunk, never did find it, gave up the platinum after a week of trying to find that one damn skunk 

I had trouble with that one too. Also a 3 star opossum. Eventually found both in the area south of Riggs Station. Took a while but they turned up in the end. 

I swear this game removes animals when it registers you're looking for them. See nothing but 3 star skunks, opossums and perfect Robins bloody everywhere now, but when I actually had to find them, I had a helluva job. 

Edited by RedDeadWitcher93
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JEDLander said:

Seriously does anybody know where to find a Moose? I've gone through about 7 '100% guaranteed' guides, tried all the areas that they're supposed to be. This just seems like a failure of the game at this point, it shouldn't take more than 6 hours to find an animal

Moose? What moose? Lol.

I took like 1 day trying to find a stupid bird, it was pretty annoying but after that, it was easy to get the 100%

• Like 1

The title of the video is slightly click-baity as it’s not a 100% spawn, but this spot worked well for me after about 45 min of messing around with it. The comment section is generally quite positive about it too. 

Tried the Cairn Lake/Barrow Lagoon/Cattail/Ocreigh spots for hours. I got one bull moose at Barrow Lagoon but wolves spawned and scared it away before I could study/skin. The rest-nothing. 

21 hours ago, Jens said:

I'll admit that my story won't have any value in terms of being easily repeatable, but I'll share it anyways because it'll ultimately tell you where I found it. It'll contain spoilers though, so if anyone has no clue about the story (the end especially) don't read it if you're afraid of that.

Reveal hidden contents

So I was checking the most common moose spawns, the ones you probably tried 1000 times. The frozen lake, the lake where that old hunter dude has his shack, the mountain slope you can't walk up, you name it. I had no success in... dunno, 8+ hours and I thought it's impossible too.

But then I started ignoring the moose and did all the rest, hunting requests, exotic items, challenges and so on. Once you reach 100% ingame completion the game warps you to Arthur's grave. It was pretty close to that mountain slope spot and I thought "Why not try it?". I walked up there and there it was. Use some bait to lure it down because you can't go up there. I killed it too early (because I was pretty flabbergasted), but you can still pull it down with your lasso if it's not too far up.

TL,DR: Found it here.

Yup, moose spawns there at least 50% of times. Checked the place over 10 times to confirm. Just make save somewhere like Wapiti and load that if it didn't spawn. As said, it spawns out of reach, but call it few times closer and lasso after kill.

• Like 1

I was in the same position since 3 days ago. I searched for like almost full 2 days and was infuriating, because I just need to study it and I slipped it once near Barrow Lagoon and didn't see one again in any of the mentioned places even if there were 99 % of commentary about "oh I watched forever but this finally helped". 

So I can't tell if it is with all animals but this in particular I am somewhat sure that there is a sort of glitch which can occur at somepoint that you can only find a moose at a single-specific place in your game and you have to find out which. After you will find it you "reset" the glitch and the moose will be around anywhere again. 

So aaaall these posts about "He spawned for me at [INSERT LOCATION] and I tried out 10 times and 9 times he spawned" you can calmly ignore because they probably won't work for you. 

Unless it is a new place you didn't try out yet, he won't spawn.

For me it was finally at Cattail. Just the final lucky shot. Because I looked everywhere but there. I searched every mentioned specific location and even whole West Elizabeth, just because it was mentioned in game that it inhabits this area. 

I am sorry for your position, but just try out all new places once, eventually you'll get it. 

And don't try to bait-spawn it. Only female ones will spawn. 

With that said. Good luck! 

Edited by IncreaseDark

23 hours ago, IncreaseDark said:

And don't try to bait-spawn it. Only female ones will spawn. 

Can confirm that male moose do spawn if you bait-spawn. I bait-spawned until a moose appeared, and it was the male one that spawned. And I was using a technique from YouTube that had also bait-spawned several male moose.

Edited by RedDeadWitcher93

This thread has brought back some horrible memories about time spent trying to get animals to spawn. I’d hate to know how many hours I sunk into RDR2 chasing that Plat. Great game, not so great trophies. 

Good luck!!

• Like 1

In case anyone is still looking and didn't have luck with the suggestions above, here's what worked for me.

For the male moose: They spawn semi-reliably near/in Lake Owanjila.  I got another near the water between Doverhill and Willard's Rest

For the female moose: I used the bait spawn technique near Colter, as highlighted in the video above.  Also seen in Doverhill/Willard's Rest

• Like 2

On 28/4/2020 at 4:30 AM, CountOfTuscany1 said:

The title of the video is slightly click-baity as it’s not a 100% spawn, but this spot worked well for me after about 45 min of messing around with it. The comment section is generally quite positive about it too. 

Tried the Cairn Lake/Barrow Lagoon/Cattail/Ocreigh spots for hours. I got one bull moose at Barrow Lagoon but wolves spawned and scared it away before I could study/skin. The rest-nothing. 

I found the moose in this same location, but it required me over 4 hours.

On 27/04/2020 at 11:50 PM, JEDLander said:

Update: finally got the 100%. Would not recommend. Took forever, god knows why Rockstar looked at a game with something like 400 collectables and said 'Wow. Should probably get people to look for about 100 orchids as well'. 

Anyway, to spawn the Moose I followed a guide that went to O'Creigh's Run and did some bollocks with saving, reloading, looking away etc. Ridiculous but it somehow worked. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 4:27 PM, Morgaenna said:

In case anyone is still looking and didn't have luck with the suggestions above, here's what worked for me.

For the male moose: They spawn semi-reliably near/in Lake Owanjila.  I got another near the water between Doverhill and Willard's Rest

For the female moose: I used the bait spawn technique near Colter, as highlighted in the video above.  Also seen in Doverhill/Willard's Rest

your amazing bro thanks sm. if your having trouble try as many diff spots as possible with potent herbivore bait. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...