Getting ready for imminent start

Hi! I think this is not the first time I open a thread for this game, but after a bit of a clean up in my completion list and backlog and with this never ending lockdown I think I’m actually ready to start this looong trip.

My plan of action is to get the free version so I can get rid of the long term trophies (Fates and levequest basically) and then once I’ll only have one month left to go I’ll activate my complete edition code so I have one month to clean up. What do you guys think about it?

Also I was reading the guide again and I think I’m more of a damage class kind of player but ap

apparently that’s a handicap once you’re looking for parties to defeat bahamut quest or just to play with more people since most of the players choose that class. Any feedback please?

Thanks a lot!

5 minutes ago, marius_maximus said:

Also I was reading the guide again and I think I’m more of a damage class kind of player but ap

apparently that’s a handicap once you’re looking for parties to defeat bahamut quest or just to play with more people since most of the players choose that class. Any feedback please?

DPS does have longer queue times, but the problem will be no one runs Coils of Bahamut 5 using the Duty Finder. You would need to find people using the Party Finder who are willing to help, and that wouldn't involve any queue times, it would just require a level 70 or 80 who wants to help out.

10 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

DPS does have longer queue times, but the problem will be no one runs Coils of Bahamut 5 using the Duty Finder. You would need to find people using the Party Finder who are willing to help, and that wouldn't involve any queue times, it would just require a level 70 or 80 who wants to help out.

Thanks for the tip!

You'll have to excuse me for being a bit blunt, but if you're planning to play this game only for the platinum the best advice I have for you is don't even bother.

This platinum is grindy as hell, you'll have to clear the base game ("A Real Reborn"), 1000 fates and levequests, 100 dungeons and guildhest, craft and gather 1000 items from each crafting and gathering job, kill 10 000 enemies...  This will really take a few hundred hours ingame to be done. If you're playing normally, this is fine, eventually you'll do all of those at one point or another. But If you're trying to get the platinum for the cheapest cost possible (aka buying the game in sale and grinding during the free trial before activating the free 30 days (45 in fact as you'll get 15 more free days when you reach lv30)), then it will get boring quite quickly.

The main problem is levequests, you need allowances to do those and gain 3 per half-day (at midnight and noon in Japan). So you'll be setting up for a roughly 6 month journey, and will not be able do do anything to shorten it by even one day. If you wand to keep your free subscription for the end of it, you'll be playing four month and a half with the limitations of the free trials, and those will quickly be limiting what you can do in the game.

The free trial is level-caped at lv35, roughly 2/3rds of the main story quest of A Real Reborn as those have level requirements to be accepted, so after something one week to one month of play you'll be locked in a game with no new content for you and you'll have no choice other than grind the sames dungeons, levequests and guildhest for your trophies. Also free players don't have access the the marketboard, which can make crafting a bit more arduous that it should be. And as levequests allowances are capped at 100, you'll have to log in at least once every 2 weeks to clear those in order to be done with the platinum as fast as possible.

Also A Real Reborn is known for being quite tedious. The story is generally uninteresting, pushy and filled with repetitive fetch quests, "I know the world is about to end but could you set me a full course dinner up before I help you? And don't forget the wine too!" is a real story arc from it. Most players agree that the story starts picking up by Heavensward, the first expansion. Which, of course, is out of the free trial reach and quite some hours of gameplay from it.

So, if you're planning to play the game to play it for what it is and enjoy it, by all mean, do. If you'll be playing on the Chaos datacenter I'll gladly help you clear the coils of Bahamut when you'll reach them.
But if you're thinking playing it only for the platinum by staying in the free trial for as long as you can, this is a bad idea and I would advise against it. There are a lot of more enjoyable RPG out there to plat.

1 hour ago, marius_maximus said:

Hi! I think this is not the first time I open a thread for this game, but after a bit of a clean up in my completion list and backlog and with this never ending lockdown I think I’m actually ready to start this looong trip.

My plan of action is to get the free version so I can get rid of the long term trophies (Fates and levequest basically) and then once I’ll only have one month left to go I’ll activate my complete edition code so I have one month to clean up. What do you guys think about it?

Thanks a lot!

It doesn't work like this.

It takes 6 months to complete 1,000 leve quests and that's if you never let a single one go to waste. However, do note that you can stockpile up to 100. I would recommend doing the free trial and doing as much as you can and make sure you keep up with your leve quests. When the trial runs out, calculate how long until your leve quests would reach 100, then activate your complete edition.

However, I can ensure you that you will not enjoy the game if you are just going for the trophies, so I don't recommend it.

• Like 1

It also should be noted that in the next patch 5.3, the main story quest is getting changed to be more streamlined and to allow flying in the old zones. The problem is the patch was due mid-June, but has been delayed due to COVID-19.

Edited by Caesar Clown
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tetho_mig said:

You'll have to excuse me for being a bit blunt, but if you're planning to play this game only for the platinum the best advice I have for you is don't even bother.

This platinum is grindy as hell, you'll have to clear the base game ("A Real Reborn"), 1000 fates and levequests, 100 dungeons and guildhest, craft and gather 1000 items from each crafting and gathering job, kill 10 000 enemies...  This will really take a few hundred hours ingame to be done. If you're playing normally, this is fine, eventually you'll do all of those at one point or another. But If you're trying to get the platinum for the cheapest cost possible (aka buying the game in sale and grinding during the free trial before activating the free 30 days (45 in fact as you'll get 15 more free days when you reach lv30)), then it will get boring quite quickly.

The main problem is levequests, you need allowances to do those and gain 3 per half-day (at midnight and noon in Japan). So you'll be setting up for a roughly 6 month journey, and will not be able do do anything to shorten it by even one day. If you wand to keep your free subscription for the end of it, you'll be playing four month and a half with the limitations of the free trials, and those will quickly be limiting what you can do in the game.

The free trial is level-caped at lv35, roughly 2/3rds of the main story quest of A Real Reborn as those have level requirements to be accepted, so after something one week to one month of play you'll be locked in a game with no new content for you and you'll have no choice other than grind the sames dungeons, levequests and guildhest for your trophies. Also free players don't have access the the marketboard, which can make crafting a bit more arduous that it should be. And as levequests allowances are capped at 100, you'll have to log in at least once every 2 weeks to clear those in order to be done with the platinum as fast as possible.

Also A Real Reborn is known for being quite tedious. The story is generally uninteresting, pushy and filled with repetitive fetch quests, "I know the world is about to end but could you set me a full course dinner up before I help you? And don't forget the wine too!" is a real story arc from it. Most players agree that the story starts picking up by Heavensward, the first expansion. Which, of course, is out of the free trial reach and quite some hours of gameplay from it.

So, if you're planning to play the game to play it for what it is and enjoy it, by all mean, do. If you'll be playing on the Chaos datacenter I'll gladly help you clear the coils of Bahamut when you'll reach them.
But if you're thinking playing it only for the platinum by staying in the free trial for as long as you can, this is a bad idea and I would advise against it. There are a lot of more enjoyable RPG out there to plat.

3 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

It doesn't work like this.

It takes 6 months to complete 1,000 leve quests and that's if you never let a single one go to waste. However, do note that you can stockpile up to 100. I would recommend doing the free trial and doing as much as you can and make sure you keep up with your leve quests. When the trial runs out, calculate how long until your leve quests would reach 100, then activate your complete edition.

However, I can ensure you that you will not enjoy the game if you are just going for the trophies, so I don't recommend it.

I really appreciate your advice guys. I’m a final fantasy fan so I’m not only playing for the plat. I’m glad that I posted the threat because that’s exactly what I wanted, how to plan this game. I will play with the free trial up until I reach level 30 and then I’ll move to the complete edition, that I bought already some months ago. I read on some different websites that the time limitation for the free trial is not there anymore because squarenix decided to lift. In any case it doesn’t seem a good idea to stay 5 months on the trial and then rush everything else in one month according to your comments. I think I can say I’m kind of familiar with grindy games, and the one thing that I’m kind of glad about this one is that you are capped so you don’t need to play all 1000 levequest in row.

@Tetho_mig, when the time comes (I definitely don’t expect it to be in the next months) I’ll be really thankful if you could give me a hand with that beast.

2 hours ago, Caesar Clown said:

It also should be noted that in the next patch 5.3, the main story quest is getting changed to be more streamlined and to allow flying in the old zones. The problem is the patch was due mid-June, but has been delayed due to COVID-19.

Thanks again for that info, I hope it doesn’t glitch anything.

• 4 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 9:36 AM, Tetho_mig said:

if you're planning to play this game only for the platinum the best advice I have for you is don't even bother.

I am going for the platinum in this game, but don't worry, unlike many of my other games, I won't be one and done and deleting this, especially since there are no other trophies after you get the platinum - Square-Enix smartly did not put any DLC trophies requiring you to do Heavensward content or beyond, the Binding Coil is the only optional dungeoni you have to get a trophy for. But after seeing someone speed-run NG+ on Heavensward I am eager to go through the expansions. There also is no trophy for the Palace of the Dead but I love that instance so I play it a lot.

What you mean, right, is that this game has a whole lot of content beyond the trophies. ;)

Also, your post came before Square-Enix expanded the free trial - now the cap is Level 60, you can complete A Realm Reborn AND Heavensward and get all of the trophies on the free trial... but the game won't enable trophy support in the free trial. I know this from experience - my trophy for completing my first quest came not from the beginning of the story, but from a quest I did in Coerthas on my free trial character after I upgraded.

Edited by CJ-Olly6