Games Like Metro REDUX?

surtech5

I have played both REDUX games multiple times and loved every (not boss) second of it. I finally broke down and got Metro Exodus while it was on sale and... Well... That's already deleted.

But now I have a bad taste in my mouth and a Metro sized hole in my heart. Any ideas about what to fill it with? Thank you in advance!

Addendum:

I'm looking less for themes (Though games with an emphasis on world-building are my jam) as I am gameplaywise. Games that give you a toolbox that is large enough to give you multiple options in any given situation, but also small enough to ensure that each part is made with a purpose and fits nicely with the rest of the systems. A good example of this would be Deus Ex: Human Revolution and a bad example would be MGSV.

I just love moving through the metro, watching my ammo and filters as I brave the irradiated wilds only to crash back to civilization and explore the seedy underbelly of a station only to end up in a dark room picking off murderous gang members who spot me... and now I'm running and gunning.

Just the full sweep of gameplay styles on offer with the ability to take it on however you want.

Some Games that Fit the Bill:

Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood: Though it has less of an emphasis on world-building it makes up for it with enduring, well-written characters. The stealth vs rampage nature that Metro had is also present, though with the scales tipped towards the latter. They even follow the Metro philosophy of making boss fights while drunk and then never playtesting them.

Dues Ex: Human Revolution: The world-building is insane in this game! The number of options you have at your disposal is only matched by the amount of things you are able to do. Like a Fallout games but without the numbers getting in the way of combat. It also does a great job of making sure that skills over lap, so you never feel left out in the cold (I.E. Oh? You didn't put all your skills points into hacking? Guess you never get to use this terminal! vs Oh? You didn't spec into hacking? Well then spend some money to get viruses to brute force it or maybe find the code elsewhere).

Days Gone: Have only played a handful of hours so far, but I am enjoying myself. Pretty far removed from Metro as far as gameplay is concerned, and story... Honestly everything, but it's quite enjoyable and it was recommended, so I'll put it here all the same.

Edited by surtech5
update

If you mean like a post-apocalyptic game that has a similar tone to Metro I don't think you have much go with beyond Wasteland 2 at least on PS4 anyway. If you have a good or decent PC you could play S.T.A.L.K.E.R which takes place in Russia like Metro and I'm pretty sure Metro was inspired by S.T.A.L.K.E.R which in turn was inspired by a book called Roadside Picnic.

So yeah, there's not much else to really go for unless you would consider something like Fallout 4 or Mad Max to be something that can give you a post-apocalyptic fix but in terms of tone and setting they aren't really similar to Metro. Wasteland 2 is the only one that would seem appropriate in that regard but it's a turn-based strategy game. Here's some gameplay if you want to take a look anyway.

I would strongly recommend playing Days Gone. They are not that similar on paper. But, i have a feeling you'll enjoy it greatly if you're a fan of post apocalyptic worlds and great movement mechanics even in a single player campaign. That game is a blast and it's open world is truly something one should experience.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ViKed_ said:

I would strongly recommend playing Days Gone. They are not that similar on paper. But, i have a feeling you'll enjoy it greatly if you're a fan of post apocalyptic worlds and great movement mechanics even in a single player campaign. That game is a blast and it's open world is truly something one should experience.

Seriously.. If you haven't PLAY DAYS GONE. One of my favorite PS4 games and underrated as hell. Ignore the reviews. I love Metro (Last Light mainly) and I loved Days Gone so play it it is on sale on the spring sale right now!

WetRaindrops.png

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 3:44 PM, Redgrave said:

If you mean like a post-apocalyptic game that has a similar tone to Metro I don't think you have much go with beyond Wasteland 2 at least on PS4 anyway. If you have a good or decent PC you could play S.T.A.L.K.E.R which takes place in Russia like Metro and I'm pretty sure Metro was inspired by S.T.A.L.K.E.R which in turn was inspired by a book called Roadside Picnic.

So yeah, there's not much else to really go for unless you would consider something like Fallout 4 or Mad Max to be something that can give you a post-apocalyptic fix but in terms of tone and setting they aren't really similar to Metro. Wasteland 2 is the only one that would seem appropriate in that regard but it's a turn-based strategy game. Here's some gameplay if you want to take a look anyway.

I was speaking more on the gameplay side of things but I do also love the Metro series aesthetically too. I have tried out S.T.A.L.K..E.R. before, but it didn't really do it for me. I'm not too into PC gaming, and even for native users I've been told it's a bit of an odd one to get the hang of. I did play Fallout 4 (as well as 3 and NV) and enjoyed myself there. Oh and I played MAD MAX, but it didn't really feel Mad Max to me so I lost interest. I haven't heard of Wasteland though. I may give that a try.

On 4/28/2020 at 3:53 PM, ViKed_ said:

That's so funny! I literally bought Day's Gone right before making this post cause it was on sale. It's definitely got some problems... My God so many problems... But I can see the effort that went into it. I'm only a couple hours in and I'm quite enjoying my time with it.

23 hours ago, communistwookiee said:

Do you want good post-apocalyptic games, or good single player FPS games? What exactly is it about these two games that you loved and that you are missing?

Also, I love 2033 and Last Light, but Exodus didn't do it for me either. Never finished it.

I was looking more for the emergent gameplay with the story focused more on world-building. Like, as much as it doesn't seem like it, I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution is pretty close to Metro.