Review Thread

Ghost

23 minutes ago, Admiralvic said:

While you didn't include mine, I gave it a 92/100. 

Sorry! I added yours. Great score. Glad to hear you're enjoying it

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Sorry! I added yours. Great score. Glad to hear you're enjoying it

You're fine. I'm excited others will get to play it and can't wait to see what others think.

2 hours ago, xI3i0_HuNt3r- said:

IGN full of Sh*t as always. Can’t wait to play it tomorrow. 

Eh, I can understand both sides. It can be a really frustrating game and combat is something you need to get into to actually like. I actually beat normal with mostly C ranks and now that I'm going through hard I'm averaging A. One struggle is really knowing when you've done enough and getting the right people. The opposite is also true.

In this episode of Digital Foundry, they take a look at what makes this series so good - and how it's taken to the next level in Streets of Rage 4.

The game is great so far. Although it feels kinda clunky now they took up the ability to run and side up and down with double tapping. Always feels like I am battling trying to get close to enemies due to my muscle memory of SOR3 and that infamous SOR remake.

I still don't know if I like this game or not. I finished Stage 6 now and I lost 2 lives at the dojo. 

Why do enemies break your combos? They move super fast compared to our character, then I'm in a middle of a combo mid-air and, suddenly, an enemy stands in front of me and kicks me. The dojo sequence was a nightmare, everyone using spears, a single touch takes you down (and takes loads of health). 

In the original trilogy, enemies positioned themselves around you, ready to attack, but never before you end a combo. This game is more like a "let them attack first, get out of their line, and attack, move over, and repeat" for every single enemy after a certain point :/ 

• Like 1

Some of the tunes at the beginning of the game were kinda crappy and not at all memorable, from about Stage 4 onwards though.

I still find the game rather clunky, the "hardest enemy" in this game are ones that walk faster than you, Bosses can sometimes be so cheap because you're trying to hit them and they just moonwalk away from you at twice your walking speed.

This makes the game even more clunky when I'm trying to run like in SOR3, hopefully when I unlocked the SOR3 characters they have their run and then I don't have to use the new characters anymore. Bombs get thrown at you and I instinctively double tap up like in SOR3 to avoid it, but then get hit because of the slow up walk.

I also don't like the way you can't use your special attack every 10 seconds for free like you can in SOR3.

This honestly feels like a Streets Of Rage 2.5.

Oh I hate the Kung Fu Master style stages where you can't walk up and down, you can't block or parry so when those guys do their flying kicks at you, what do you do other than waste energy on a special move? Those parts were done way better on Double Dragon Neon and that is saying something...

I feel like I am enjoying the game and not liking the game in equal measures.

The "cut scenes" between stage seems really cheap. Like the BOR SOR unofficial remake did a better job.

Oh and one more thing, most of the stage gfx feels the same, they are kinda bland/darkish and not memorable at all. I liked seeing Roo at the bar though on one stage :)

He had better be a playable character at some point.

I think my biggest gripe is the soundfx, none of the hitting sounds have feeling, all thud sounds that are decent but have no impact, could have been better, also why is it that hitting with most weapons, like with knives and cleavers, the sounds sounds like like knives and forks hitting empty bottles? That is so weird.

Where is the iconic slashing sound when you slice someone with a samurai sword. It's a weird clanking bottle sound instead..

Bosses seem lazy as well, one stage is just two of the First Boss stage, and that Police woman, why is she a boss on two stages?! And the second time you fight her she summons the boss from Stage 2?

Normally the final stage has the compulsory every single boss from the game before the final boss, but why all this Boss recycling already. Also, why is Electra a boss character? That just seems kinda lame, and lazy.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

I’m pleased this has reviewed well. I do take reviews with a pinch of salt normally, but I hold SoR games in a high regard for the love I had for them growing up and playing them to death with friends and family, so have kept my eye on them. Could have easily been a mess this, but from what i’ve seen and read and being in a discord group about it, the majority are enjoying it and are impressed, even if it parts/all some may see it as a rehash.

Will hopefully get this soon and give it a go. Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

One change I like is that health spent on specials isn't truly "gone" until you are hit (it just turns green), and it can be recovered by hitting enemies with regular moves. This encourages you to use special moves in combos. Floyd is amazing... while he's slow like Max, his reach makes up for it. His blitz move is a good low-risk way to shatter Murphy's energy shield, and the Gotcha grab is good for combos.

I'm wondering if they plan on adding playable SoR4 Max and Shiva in a future update. On the character stats screen under the extras menu, when you go to their pages it shows the SoR2 and SoR4 sprites (though the one for Max is "possessed" I'm sure they could mod it slightly for a playable version).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Streets Of Rage 4 is a great game and definitely worthy of being the 4th entry in the series.

Unfotunately though after playing the game non stop I feel kinda tired with it, which is a shame. I wish the soundtrack was better, one of the best things about the other 3 is coming back to the games and having the soundtrack blow me away.

In SOR4 only about 3 or 4 tunes are totally awesome and I hate the final boss. It's stupid, cheap and just doesn't work.

I love being able to play the characters from SOR2 and SOR3 but after having played the original games for so long, they just feel ever so slightly different which puts me off, especially since the unofficial remake does it better and allows you to run with all the SOR2 characters.

Enemies being able to unfairly tap through your attacks in SOR4 is also annoying, especially since they have the whole system of "Using your special attack and then be able to get it back when hitting enemies". Sometimes you get cheap hitted and it is not fun to be honest.

I'd give it a 6, 7 out of ten. It's a really good game, but I think it needs some tweaking.

I honestly wish you could have 3 or 4player coop online, that would have made the lastability way better. They went to the effort of making 3-4 player coop and yet made it very difficult to actually play in multiplayer. If Dragon's crown can do dropin and dropout coop on PS3 and even Vita I am sure other systems are more than capable of being able to do this. There are so many characters to choose from and yet 2 player online coop is the limit?