usapro2017

Why do people play bad games just for trophies?

89 posts in this topic

Imagine complaining about trophies on a trophy site though...

I am a trophy whore with no shame.  Some of the ratalaika games I have actually enjoyed though.

4 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Spend 100+ hours to plat one game and nobody bats an eye. Spend 15 hours to plat 50 and everyone loses their shit.

facts

Jack 'n' Jill and Midnight Deluxe look fun games with a trashly easy trophy list.

But, come on, are you guys telling that Orc Slayer is a good game? Or even fun?

Sure, we all have reasons to play certain games. I love crosswords, for instance, I bought the POWGI game... I thought the CrossWords was something different (you know, those from magazines - can tell the name), but it wasn't and I was disappointed.

But yeah, some people watch a video about a videogame, they know it's shit, but they buy it just for the trophies. This is one of the reasons a lot of people don't care about the "number of Platinums" anymore. And it's also a shame that other games don't have a full trophy list and these do. 

I don't really mind playing bad video games every once in a while, kind of a nice break in between and laugh at the game on how bad it is. I've played plenty of bad games as well with likes of Life of Black Tiger, Sword of Fortress, Crash Dummy, Wander and many others.
As far as ratalaika games goes I only buy those if I think they might be at least somewhat decent, so far the ones I played have been a bit disappointing or I probably would been better off playing them on Vita than PS4 since I didn't mind the game Red Bow would have preferred playing it on Vita instead I also probably won't platinum a ratalaika game more then once maybe twice if I want to play it on Vita won't see 6+ stacks on my profile though.

Sometimes I just want to play a 'trashy' game after a long grind or a 'hard' game. 😝

Nothing wrong with that in my humble opinion.

It's really not anything serious that some people see it as cheating,  I don't view it as virtual success or view it as cheaters, but if you have profile with only ratalaka games why do you even have a ps4? Just play games and let others play. I think people make it more serious of an issue than it really is. Nobody really cares about any of our trophies.

21 minutes ago, AiManiaTrophyhunting said:

You can not possibly know for what reason anyone plays or buys something and even if you did, do you feel better playing high quality games over someone who just plays all the crap on a regualr basis? why?

You actually can. :) All you need is experience in life and a little bit of knowledge about the human psyche. I do not judge anyone. Why should I? My shit stinks as much as yours. Every human being needs some sort of gratification in life. And since the overwhelming majority of all people on this planet live completely irrelevant and unimportant lives, many seek their gratification outside of their job/carreer. That's perfectly fine. That's how people are.

Some people want to buy a cheeseburger and not bother cooking a steak with a side of salad and sweet potato fries. Both are tasty, so to each their own.

I don't know if that metaphor is relevant - I'm just really hungry and kind of crave a cheeseburger.

3 minutes ago, Jamescush147 said:

Sometimes I just want to play a 'trashy' game after a long grind or a 'hard' game. 😝

Nothing wrong with that in my humble opinion.

This is exactly how I treat my ratalaka games. 

9 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Spend 100+ hours to plat one game and nobody bats an eye. Spend 15 hours to plat 50 and everyone loses their shit.

In what parallel universe anyone does that when he looks an account full of garbage?

Seriously, nobody is gonna say "Wow this guy has 200 junks!!!"

I prefer watching bad movies with friends or watching people play bad games like the AVGN does.

Probably because a bad movie will probably only last an hour and a half and won’t infuriate me with glitches, bad controls etc 😂 that’s why I prefer watching others suffer through them haha.

Jeez people talking about gratification in life and correlating to trophies and easy games is wild. It's just games and trophies, really not so serious, nobody is taking it that serious when getting ratalaka games, its just a lol for everyone I know with ratalaka platinums.

For some people it is a guilty pleasure, they just want to see their own numbers rise up and playing these games is a quick and cheap way to do it, no matter how bare bones the games in question are. A few might be honest if they say that they just have genuine fun playing some of these things, can't rule it out, I know I had a good time with some games others think are mostly boring.

For most its probably comparable to legal steriod abuse in professional sports. Most do not have an inherent desire to do it, they do not really enjoy doing it, they have to pay money for something thats not good for them because it can destroy the interest in the activity, but they still do it because their "competition" does it as well. If someone like Hakoom would stop playing these games entirely, the players below him would catch up to him in no time, so people who want to reach the highest leaderboard ranks need to do it in order to get and stay there.

In the end it is easy to judge people for having too high of an average rarity, or too many of these games, or 6 region stacks in a row of the same crappy game, but the overall state of a profile should not be ignored even if those things annoy you for some reason. I have seen some people with 70% rarity who still had more ultra rare plats than I have total plats, with some really hard games, sure its harder to see amongst the trashy trophies, but it does not wipe out their more impressive achievements, and most accounts have a bit of everything in them anyway. Probably the best not to shit on each other too much for having different priorities in this niche hobby we are all enjoying, especially not since most people do not have to play these games unless they want to be high in the leaderboards.

32 minutes ago, Kiyan-13 said:

I don't know, maybe they don't have personality or have low self-esteem. This type of gamers is just below cheaters, I mean, it's really pathetic spending your time to earn shameful platinums.

For me it would be embarrassing to have any of those easy platinums, others just care about numbers. You know how many platinums they have, doesn't matter to them if 90% of their platinums are a garbage.

Not to point fingers but you sorta started this but calling people 'pathetic and shameful' for having 'easy' platinums.

Im not taking away from some of your extremely difficult platinums like Sons of Liberty or Dead Space but like 20 of your platinums include God of War, the Sly games, Prince of Persia games andstuff like Dantes Inferno and the remastered Uncharted games.

To try to tell people they are below cheaters to you for having 'easy' plats and then having easy AF plats yourself, doesnt exactly put you in a shining position.

Edited by SpacebarPIays

Tbh, I enjoyed about 80% of the EZPZ games I played and of course for the 20% that I didn't like I suffered throught it but it's just for a few minutes/hours, so why not?

1 hour ago, Neputyunu said:

Why is it so important to you what other people think about you, your stuff, your life, whatever?

I am doing trophies because it is fun for me. I do not really care about if anyone would go to my profile and say: "omg this gay autistic fucknugget played 6x3 rata games in a row. Fuckity fuck pathetic weeb piece of shit asshat". Actually I was seriously depressed when I did this. And the trophies even cheered me up where Sertralin, anti depression pills, failed.

<shrugs> Until some years ago I was so insecure about everything and took everything to heart what other people said (99% negatively) about me. Trust me, just do your thing. What others think is irrelevant. Think about this. If I would say that you should jump out of your window. Would you do it? No? Great. So why bother what anyone is saying about your profile? It is not my business what you are doing in your free time. ;)

It’s cool you found something to help you with your depression with trophy hunting  👍

I’m reminded of those shitty B-movies that some people love to hate on. Those “so bad they’re good” kind of movies. 

Playing bad games are like watching those movies. You can laugh and point out the flaws and complain on forums about how awful it is, and there’s a twisted kind of fun in doing that.

On top of that, getting all the trophies in a bad game can be extra rewarding. You experienced it’s bugs and glitches and awful game design and came out the other end a victor! You didn’t let it break you, and you conquered it!

Honestly for me over the years it's become some sort of minor addiction I'm actively working to break. More icons, more clout, least that's the train of thought I had. Much worse on my Xbox profile with legions of bad games.

To be fair though some of the games that would be considered bad by many I actually found to be enjoyable. Like My Big Sister reminded me of the old days when Markiplier was playing Mad Father, picked it up and actually really enjoyed it despite it only being 3 hours or so long for the plat. 

Then you have games like Little Adventure on the Prairie where you'd have to take 99.9% of my brain cells away to convince me that anyone plays that for nothing but trophy whoring. 

Bad games are fun, that's why I like to play them occasionally.

I love videogames as a medium and I'm willing to give any game a chance to impress me, trophies have opened me up to games i would've never played beforehand and i feel I'm much better for it.

An example of a recent game i completed, Knytt Underground, I heard very terrible things from across the web, but after playing it, i really really enjoyed my time with it. This is just one example of an experience i would've missed if i just dismissed some smaller game as 'garbage'.

12 hours ago, SpacebarPIays said:

Not to point fingers but you sorta started this but calling people 'pathetic and shameful' for having 'easy' platinums.

Im not taking away from some of your extremely difficult platinums like Sons of Liberty or Dead Space but like 20 of your platinums include God of War, the Sly games, Prince of Persia games andstuff like Dantes Inferno and the remastered Uncharted games.

To try to tell people they are below cheaters to you for having 'easy' plats and then having easy AF plats yourself, doesnt exactly put you in a shining position.

You don't get it, I play what I play because I like it not because it's  difficult.

What exactly am I supposed to do? Snob a good game because it has a no-hard enough platinum? Snob God Of War, Horizon Zero Down and Spiderman because they don't have hard enough platinums? *rhetorical question*

You guys on the other hand play garbage for easy trophies. You don't like them, you know you don't, but yet try to convince others and mostly yourselves that it's not shameful and you are not wasting your time. Sounds like the definition patheticism to me...

12 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

Why is it so important to you what other people think about you, your stuff, your life, whatever?

I am doing trophies because it is fun for me. I do not really care about if anyone would go to my profile and say: "omg this gay autistic fucknugget played 6x3 rata games in a row. Fuckity fuck pathetic weeb piece of shit asshat". Actually I was seriously depressed when I did this. And the trophies even cheered me up where Sertralin, anti depression pills, failed.

<shrugs> Until some years ago I was so insecure about everything and took everything to heart what other people said (99% negatively) about me. Trust me, just do your thing. What others think is irrelevant. Think about this. If I would say that you should jump out of your window. Would you do it? No? Great. So why bother what anyone is saying about your profile? It is not my business what you are doing in your free time. ;)

It's not important to me, I do what I do and I play what I play for myself. I haven't played a single game for others, and I haven't snob a single game because it was too difficult or too easy.

I'm just stating the obvious. Playing games that you don't like for easy trophies is just a step below cheaters, which is the worst kind of gamers. This type of players is the exact type of example ignorant people use to mock gamers and gaming community.

14 hours ago, usapro2017 said:

Firstly, I enjoy trophy hunting and it extends the lifespan of games I have fun playing. Great games like Uncharted, Last Of Us, God Of War, Red Dead, Bloodborne, Resident Evil 2 Remake etc have given me even more hours of fun added due to trophies.  Even if you don't like any of these certain genres, these are just a handful of well crafted gaming experiences where the developers clearly put in love and effort.

However, what confuses me is people that play 'garbage games' that they would have NEVER played if trophies/achievements never existed. Orc Slayer, Crash Dummy, Toro, Little Adventure On The Prairie, Hannah Montana, all the probably 50+ by now Ratalaika games, Slyde, 1000 Top Rated, Mr Massagy, Eekeemoo, Albedo Eyes From Outer Space, Tower Of Dragonasia, Samael Legacy Of Ophiuchus etc etc. 

Why not just play fun, well made pieces of software and earn trophies in those? Why not just play games you would have played if trophies never existed? That way you are experiencing fun from a good game and fun from earning the trophies?

One of my friends played all these games and I asked her if she had fun and she said 'no they are all trash and had a miserable time playing all of them'

I asked her why she does it and all she said was ' I dunno, probably just because they all have easy Platinums'

Do some people get a trophy addiction where getting trophies are more important than actually having fun with a good game?

Looking forward  to an open discussion on here :)

Define what makes a "good game" first. I'd personally consider God Of War, RE2 Remake and a whole slew of other "popular" games to be absolute trash and a disgrace to the gaming sphere. You'd probably think the games I enjoy are just as bad; Don't Starve, Darkest Dungeon and Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms being a few examples.

That's the rub isn't it? You're expecting people to enjoy the same type of game you do.

Another day another thread about the same tired topic. Play your games, pop your trophies and have a blast. 😉