Why do people play bad games just for trophies?

usapro2017

5 hours ago, Kiyan-13 said:

You don't get it, I play what I play because I like it not because it's  difficult.

What exactly am I supposed to do? Snob a good game because it has a no-hard enough platinum? Snob God Of War, Horizon Zero Down and Spiderman because they don't have hard enough platinums? *rhetorical question*

You guys on the other hand play garbage for easy trophies. You don't like them, you know you don't, but yet try to convince others and mostly yourselves that it's not shameful and you are not wasting your time. Sounds like the definition patheticism to me...

It's not important to me, I do what I do and I play what I play for myself. I haven't played a single game for others, and I haven't snob a single game because it was too difficult or too easy.

I'm just stating the obvious. Playing games that you don't like for easy trophies is just a step below cheaters, which is the worst kind of gamers. This type of players is the exact type of example ignorant people use to mock gamers and gaming community.

All assumption, opinion and perception.  Just because you dont like it, doesnt mean others shouldnt. Seriuously when did people stop understsnding this fundamental concept of human nature. 

The only time someone feels the need to defend their trophy list is when stupid threads like this are created.  Seems to me its always those that somehow feel threatened by “easy bad fast garbage trash game”  profiles that start these, not the other way around.  Perhaps its is those types of people that need to look inward and answer to themselves why trophies matter, rather than those they target with these threads.   

18 hours ago, Santa said:

You actually can. :) All you need is experience in life and a little bit of knowledge about the human psyche. I do not judge anyone. Why should I? My shit stinks as much as yours. Every human being needs some sort of gratification in life. And since the overwhelming majority of all people on this planet live completely irrelevant and unimportant lives, many seek their gratification outside of their job/carreer. That's perfectly fine. That's how people are.

Get over yourself Dr Phil.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Santa said:

They try to compensate their lack of success in real life with virtual success. That's all.

Judging people "lack of success" in real life for playing "bad games" while you can't platinum GREAT (and easy) games like God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn isn't the way to go, Santa...

Although your quoted phrase is despicable, I will use it, so, I hope your real life is an outstanding success to compensate your outrageous bad profile here, in a TROPHY HUNTER website (gotcha!?).

Edited by andreofgyn
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, audiopile said:

All assumption, opinion and perception.  Just because you dont like it, doesnt mean others shouldnt. Seriuously when did people stop understsnding this fundamental concept of human nature. 

The only time someone feels the need to defend their trophy list is when stupid threads like this are created.  Seems to me its always those that somehow feel threatened by “easy bad fast garbage trash game”  profiles that start these, not the other way around.  Perhaps its is those types of people that need to look inward and answer to themselves why trophies matter, rather than those they target with these threads.   

Get over yourself Dr Phil.  

We(here) are all gamers, but it's our gaming choices that defy what type of gamers we are. And like in real life, you pursue what you subconsciously think you deserve.

If garbage is what you think you deserve, then it's ok everyone can do as they please. My "problem" is when people try to fool themselves and convince others that what they do is worth doing or even admirable...

Edited by Kiyan-13

I realise everyone has different opinions but I find it very hard to believe anyone could find Orc Slayer or Little Adventure On The Prairie to be great games they play for fun.

Both games are horrendous on every level (graphics, music, gameplay) 

Just waiting for someone to comment and say they think Orc Slayer or Little Adventure On The Prairie are better games than God Of War or The Last Of Us...

Edited by usapro2017

8 minutes ago, usapro2017 said:

I realise everyone has different opinions but I find it very hard to believe anyone could find Orc Slayer or Little Adventure On The Prairie to be great games they play for fun.

Both games are horrendous on every level (graphics, music, gameplay) 

Just waiting for someone to comment and say they think Orc Slayer or Little Adventure On The Prairie are better games than God Of War or The Last Of Us...

Little Adventure On The Prairie is a creative masterpiece in storytelling with deep lore. 
It’s actually the story of a young man and his quest to reach the fabled Prairie that he never reaches.

If you notice, the game ends in the lava pits of hell.. he is stuck in purgatory. 

People say the unfinished choppy graphics, awful 5 second music loops and dreadful bad game design alongside the stolen assets make it one of the worst games ever made. 

However just think about it... that’s a pretty accurate description of being stuck in eternal purgatory to me!

10/10

Edited by DieHardDavidN
  • Like 1

At the end of the day, it’s still costing money, so if they’re buying “crap easy plats” so what, they earned their money to buy that. I personally stick to challenging games, I’d be a liar if I said I haven’t purchased a quick easy plat, probably around 15 of my 100+ platinums are cheap plats. But I paid for it so I get to feel like crap for having them. ?

18 hours ago, andreofgyn said:

Judging people "lack of success" in real life for playing "bad games" while you can't platinum GREAT (and easy) games like God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn isn't the way to go, Santa...

I hope you understand that you're accusing Santa, who merely posted a rational opinion, for doing exactly what you did to him.

And for the sake of the argument, you can't really tell if someone "can't" platinum a game or if he chooses not to just by looking at his profiles.

17 hours ago, usapro2017 said:

I realise everyone has different opinions but I find it very hard to believe anyone could find Orc Slayer or Little Adventure On The Prairie to be great games they play for fun

16 hours ago, DieHardDavidN said:

Little Adventure On The Prairie is a creative masterpiece in storytelling with deep lore

*Replaying to both comments*

Leading the conversation to 1 game(or 2 if that matters) to minimize your cognitive dissonance is only gonna get you to delusions.

2 hours ago, launcestondevil said:

At the end of the day, it’s still costing money, so if they’re buying “crap easy plats” so what, they earned their money to buy that. I personally stick to challenging games, I’d be a liar if I said I haven’t purchased a quick easy plat, probably around 15 of my 100+ platinums are cheap plats. But I paid for it so I get to feel like crap for having them. ?

I fail to see how exactly the fact that they cost money is something positive in this situation... But it's probably choice-supportive bias talking here.

And to end here(for me at least), you can be "cool",  you can be "yolo", you can "have fun" or however you have it in your mind... OR you can start understanding yourselves and see what & why you do what you do. Understand that you are not the human prodigy you used to think you are and you end up doing things so stupid that even you fail to see them.

Edited by Kiyan-13

46 minutes ago, Kiyan-13 said:

I hope you understand that you're accusing Santa, who merely posted a rational opinion, for doing exactly what you did to him.

And for the sake of the argument, you can't really tell if someone "can't" platinum a game or if he chooses not to just by looking at his profiles.

*Replaying to both comments*

Leading the conversation to 1 game(or 2 if that matters) to minimize your cognitive dissonance is only gonna get you to delusions.

I fail to see how exactly the fact that they cost money is something positive in this situation... But it's probably choice-supportive bias talking here.

And to end here(for me at least), you can be "cool",  you can be "yolo", you can "have fun" or however you have it in your mind... OR you can start understanding yourselves and see what & why you do what you do. Understand that you are not the human prodigy you used to think you are and you end up doing things so stupid that even you fail to see them.

I'm just basically saying, people can play these games if they want, it's their own business no one else.

I actually like some of Retilka Games games but I won’t deny that I also played some of their games that weren’t my cup of tea just for the sake of the platinum but now I only bother with games I enjoy,

My days with playing games I don’t enjoy just for trophies are over, I have to like a game to bother chasing the platinum or 100% now.

Edited by BrettyBoy

A fair number of people who play these bad games wouldn't go for them if they required a good deal of skill or dedication. Or if the platinum is time consuming.

It doesn't matter if the game is bad or good for them. What matters is how easy and how much time they have to spend for that platinum trophy.

Nobody ever placed The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as a fast platinum or overly easy. It's basically a medium difficulty rated game that takes most people over 100 hours to platinum. If the game was sheer crap and made by a very obscure developer, nobody in their right mind would try for that platinum trophy.

You guys can all bet your asses that all this talk on Ratalaika Games wouldn't exist if the games they published ranged from medium to hard difficulty in rating, took 10 - 30 hours to platinum, and were limited to just one stack. You wouldn't even get the crossbuy feature with the PS4/Vita, it would be either one or the other. No region stacks.

How many people on here would complain? NOBODY. Not a single player would gripe the games Ratalaika Games publishes are too easy and too short judging by the trophies and their distribution.

And as I see from some users who have posted on this topic, they're griping about Ratalaika Games having too easy of trophy lists. Yet their trophy profiles are filled from top to bottom with Ratalaika stacks.

If I see a guy with 10,000+ trophies with close to 2,000 gold trophies or more, he probably has a bunch of Ratalaika stacks. I already see a guy here with around 3,500 gold trophies, most of which come from Ratalaika stacks which are basically 10 - 30 minute platinums.

• Like 2

I got lots of trash and my take would be filler trophies. I tend to get all AAA titles 100% but after playing long crazy grinds I'd like some easy stuff to clear my mind.

Good example would be few days ago I platted DBFighterZ a grind of 10-15 hours each day for 8 days nonstop. I was completely braindead and went for some easy rata games and VN's. Now I'm back to Persona 5 Royal which will take me probably 120-150 hours again.

And when the "you're wasting money on trash" starts.

Noone should be bothered with my or other's financial state. I got a great job money is never my problem. My hobby is trophy hunting. Years ago I wasted 100's of euros on getting wasted each weekend. Times change and my state of mind with trophy hunting will change as well when I get older.

Edited by Deluziion90
info added.
  • Like 2

Personally I've got a couple of easy plats but I saw them as relaxed down times from the more stressful or time consuming plats/trophies I decided to go for, or to fill time while waiting for a new game to update/install etc. 

For example, I did some weird little adventure game called Adams Venture after my Witcher plat, my 100% RDR2 trophy, my Skyrim plat and my AC Brotherhood plat cause I'm addicted to my PS4 and I knew that if I didn't play something lighthearted with no stress, I'd break something (I'm a bit of an angry gamer). So I played a cheap little action adventure that had such bad acting I spent most of my time laughing. 

And I played that Nubla game to pass time after getting my RE2 and 3 plats while my AC Odyssey update installed, so I could go for that plat. 

So sometimes I'll play some little cheap easy stressfree game between my bigger serious games as a way to chill for a couple of hours. 

Edited by RedDeadWitcher93
Silly iPad autocorrect
  • Like 1

I just love how much people care about what others play. They rage on about low self esteem, pathetic and so on. Humans who actually call others things like that because of what games they play. WOW, cant sink much lower. 

Its fantastic entertainment, keep the hate flowing, I having a great laugh :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Deluziion90 said:

And when the "you're wasting money on trash" starts.

Noone should be bothered with my or other's financial state. I got a great job money is never my problem. My hobby is trophy hunting. Years ago I wasted 100's of euros on getting wasted each weekend. Times change and my state of mind with trophy hunting will change as well when I get older.

I don't think anyone was talking about financial state, as it's irrelevant to the discussion.

You just got older and more mature.

8 hours ago, Maaden_Swe said:

I just love how much people care about what others play. They rage on about low self esteem, pathetic and so on. Humans who actually call others things like that because of what games they play. WOW, cant sink much lower. 

Its fantastic entertainment, keep the hate flowing, I having a great laugh :)

If you already made a profile and posted here on the forums, you already care more than most.

Wow, three pages on this and no one brought up the "so bad it's good" point.  There are actually people who enjoy playing bad games because there is actually a point where a game is so bad that you can get a lot of enjoyment from laughing or poking fun at how utterly terrible it is.  There are even streamers out there that do exactly this.  For people who actually enjoy this sort of thing, getting easy trophies is just a nice bonus. 

Also, some of the games people brought up as being "bad" aren't even that bad.  Also, sometimes you buy a game because it sounds interesting enough and then it turns out to be terrible, but some of us are enough of completionists that it doesn't deter from getting the plat.  To be honest, the worst games I've gotten the plat in weren't exactly easy and quick plats.  Another possibility is that people often care a bit less about the quality of a game if it's cheap.  It's a lot easier to get your money's worth on a cheap game and even if it ends up being less than stellar it gave a plat and killed some time at least.

Why give a shit about how other players get their trophies?. If they want to do some easy (and low priced) games, then so be it. I like Powgi games and because I have a Vita, it means I get a bundle with every purchase, so I'll get 2 plats for the one (low) price. It's the same with Ratalaika stuff, some of which are quite fun and retro. They're a great way to get trophies when gaming time is short or you haven't the funds for the latest 100 hour epic. Have a look at all of the top profiles worldwide across all sorts of platforms and I'll virtually guarantee you that these types of games will pop up on all the profiles, sometimes as multi region stacks. Are all these gamers playing these games because they fail in real life?!!.

At the end of the day, it's about having fun doing what we all love. Just leave it at that and enjoy what you're doing.

• Like 1

They are bad games but they become fun because you earn those trophies. I play those games to give me a break in between more notorious and “better” titles. They offer me a feeling of relief after attempting a game that is hard like Badland or a game that is giving me an intense experience like the Walking Dead. I play both and am proud to do it. I think earning trophies from bad games is legitimate. A plat is a plat is the discourse I’ve always believed in. And if you care about your rank on this site you almost have to play them to keep ascending.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

I don't think anyone was talking about financial state, as it's irrelevant to the discussion.

You just got older and more mature.

If you already made a profile and posted here on the forums, you already care more than most.

I care about this discussion because its hilarious. I couldnt care less what games other people play :) 

On 4/30/2020 at 7:30 PM, Santa said:

They try to compensate their lack of success in real life with virtual success. That's all.

I guess that's the most accurate guess.

It's really sad to see that some 'players' don't play for the game per se, but for the trophies that can be earned.

And yes, it does affect me. It affects the whole industry. It shows dev studios that they can release a sh*t game, implement a lot of gold and easy trophies, and the game will still be a success. It also encourages devs to implement buyable options to help you progress more easily in future games, or worse, trophies that can be bought! They know that people are ready to buy just to get a reward/ trophy. It also makes the whole trophy system pointless. 'it's always been pointless' I hear you say. Well, nope. Trophies are a reward. They are part of a game design. And as every game design, it has rules. What's the point of playing if the game is extremely easy, and you can bypass the rules? None.

So yeah, easy trophies are for those who don't know what the notion of playing is. It's really sad.

Edited by bosstristan
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, bosstristan said:

I guess that's the most accurate guess.

It's really sad to see that some 'players' don't play for the game per se, but for the trophies that can be earned.

And yes, it does affect me. It affects the whole industry. It shows dev studios that they can release a sh*t game, implement a lot of gold and easy trophies, and the game will still be a success.

This is just horribly false TBH.

Sorry to break this if it comes as a shock to you but Trophy Hunters are an incrediblyyyy Niche market. 

Stuff like 'My Name Is Mayo' is a blatant trophy-hunter game, it has around 78000 sales at roughly $1 each and took the guy probably like 6 hours to make. 

In other words, theres not a lot of money or sales to be made from constantly churning out platinum games.

Dev STUDIOS, will not release games that are absolute shit just to think 'Ah, we might hit 50k trophy hunters!' and ignore the 10s of millions of players that want good games.

Sure, theres individual people that will make a game, purely for people to buy for easy platinums but they dont make as much money as you seem to think, otherwise there would be thousands of 'My name is mayo' ripoffs.

Especially considering My Name is Mayo is the most popular game youre referring to and part of the reason it has so many sales is purely down to it being a 'Meme' in this very niche community. I know tons of people that have hard AF trophies that will do it because they see it as a right of initiation and prerequisite for the clique.

1 hour ago, bosstristan said:

It shows dev studios that they can release a sh*t game, implement a lot of gold and easy trophies, and the game will still be a success. It also encourages devs to implement buyable options to help you progress more easily in future games, or worse, trophies that can be bought!

With the recent news (https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/88455-casual-ps-vita-games-unlikely-to-be-release-on-the-eu-region-going-forward/) that the cost to get PEGI ratings for EU Vita games going "from 250EUR to 1450 EUR" will make listing in the EU unprofitable, we now know from basic math that while trophy worriers are the most impacted, it certainly hasn't impacted gaming as a whole.

52 minutes ago, SpacebarPIays said:

This is just horribly false TBH.

Sorry to break this if it comes as a shock to you but Trophy Hunters are an incrediblyyyy Niche market. 

Stuff like 'My Name Is Mayo' is a blatant trophy-hunter game, it has around 78000 sales at roughly $1 each and took the guy probably like 6 hours to make. 

In other words, theres not a lot of money or sales to be made from constantly churning out platinum games.

Dev STUDIOS, will not release games that are absolute shit just to think 'Ah, we might hit 50k trophy hunters!' and ignore the 10s of millions of players that want good games.

Sure, theres individual people that will make a game, purely for people to buy for easy platinums but they dont make as much money as you seem to think, otherwise there would be thousands of 'My name is mayo' ripoffs.

Especially considering My Name is Mayo is the most popular game youre referring to and part of the reason it has so many sales is purely down to it being a 'Meme' in this very niche community. I know tons of people that have hard AF trophies that will do it because they see it as a right of initiation and prerequisite for the clique.

Just like people who buy lootboxes or skins are niche.