The Wonderful 101: Remastered Trophy Thoughts

Backed for a physical copy, so we'll see how that goes.

Trophy list does look like standard Platinum games fair. I don't recall the ranks being that difficult to work out on the WiiU release, so this may be a good 6/10 platinum.

8 hours ago, majorgab said:

I'm also a backer, got a message yesterday that physical copy backers will get a download code so we'll be able to play this month.  Physical copies aren't expected until mid June.

Bare in mind that the download code will be for the Steam version regardless of what version your physical copy is.

• Like 1

Just now, Jelly Soup said:

Bare in mind that the download code will be for the Steam version regardless of what version your physical copy is.

Hah was just in the middle of typing this. Comments on the page say it's a Steam key because devs can generate infinite amounts of Steam keys for free which they can't do on PSN/eshop. Dunno if that's true but it'd explain why they're doing it this way.

I am pretty conflicted on the whole thing myself, hate waiting another 2 months to play the game as I've been looking forward to it but at the same time I really don't have much interest in playing it on PC for a million different reasons.

3 minutes ago, ZenaxPure said:

Hah was just in the middle of typing this. Comments on the page say it's a Steam key because devs can generate infinite amounts of Steam keys for free which they can't do on PSN/eshop. Dunno if that's true but it'd explain why they're doing it this way.

That is correct. Each PSN key has to be generated individually, takes forever and costs money over a certain number. Steam allows a dev to generate, on the fly, upwards of 200 keys for various purposes (project backers, reviewers, advertising, etc) with further batches costing a nominal fee. Steam would be the most economical way to do this.

In the original Wii U version, you had these exact same achievements. But the requirements were something ridiculous like getting platinum rankings on every fight for every stage on all difficulty levels. I played this game for hundreds of hours and couldn't get all those achievements. If it's the same requirements... nah ya'll. This'll be like a 10/10 no questions asked. It's not a terribly hard game, but it's eclectic and demands a lot from you to get those rankings. I remember having to replay the entire stage with the giant robot Punch-Out reference at least a dozen times. Took hours. That was one stage on one difficulty. This might be harder than some are expecting.

If the "finish all secret encounters" is for one difficulty, then yeah, it's a 5/10. If it is for every single encounter on every difficulty level, I don't understand how it's anything lower than a 9/10 considering there was no option to restart from checkpoint option like in MGR in the original Wii U release of this game.

Despite all that, I freaking love this game and I was one of the backers and I seriously can't wait to play it with faster load times and better frame rates. This is the most criminally underrated game on the Wii U, possibly the most criminally underrated game of this generation and was single handily responsible for my PS4 collecting dust when it launched with only a handful of games. Really hope people try it out, it's brimming with originality and replay value.

EDIT: I was getting the secret encounters mixed up with the Kahkoo-regah segments. They're not the same. You don't have to find all the Kahkoo-regah on all difficulties for this version. This'll probably be more like a 6/10 like most are saying. THANK GOD. If it required you to do all those, it'd be hair pulling. You still have to get at least a platinum rank on all operations, but that could be for one difficulty and doesn't require you to take no damage so that's a fair task to demand of players at least.

Edited by griffin123456789
  • Like 3

when a Nintendo game released on a Sony platform ?

jokes aside, i'll get this game, and then see when playing it if i'm capable of getting the platinum or not since i'm actually not planning on getting it's platinum, I assume the platinum in Wonderful 101 is easier than Bayonetta 1 and MGS Rising?

6 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

when a Nintendo game released on a Sony platform 1f606.png

jokes aside, i'll get this game, and then see when playing it if i'm capable of getting the platinum or not since i'm actually not planning on getting it's platinum, I assume the platinum in Wonderful 101 is easier than Bayonetta 1 and MGS Rising?

It’s likely going to be easier than MGR at least. It’s a game with a lot of unique mechanics in the genre however so it might take some time to become comfortable with it.

Still a great game though.

20 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

when a Nintendo game released on a Sony platform 1f606.png

Should be easier, I think. In MGR you had to S rank everything on the highest difficulty. In W101 you need all Platinum ranks on any difficulty, plus simply beating the game on the highest setting.

In addition, Platinum isn’t even the highest rank. Each mission is graded by Time, Damage, and Points. If you get platinum for all three, you earn Pure Platinum rank. You can get gold in one of the three criteria and still get Platinum rank.

• 2 weeks later...

The faster load times and better framerate will definitely help out a bit but otherwise some of the bottle caps in this game are pretty hard to get. The Punch-out bottlecap in particular was insane to get on the Wii U. So far it seems only one person has platinumed the game.

Edited by TristanTeridax

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My backer physical copy finally arrived for me here in Australia. I've beaten the game before on Wii U but years later I cannot remember how it all works.

Think I'll play on normal first with a collectibles guide, then platinum all missions on hard, then play through 101% hard.

On 02/05/2020 at 1:01 PM, griffin123456789 said:

In the original Wii U version, you had these exact same achievements. But the requirements were something ridiculous like getting platinum rankings on every fight for every stage on all difficulty levels. I played this game for hundreds of hours and couldn't get all those achievements. If it's the same requirements... nah ya'll. This'll be like a 10/10 no questions asked. It's not a terribly hard game, but it's eclectic and demands a lot from you to get those rankings. I remember having to replay the entire stage with the giant robot Punch-Out reference at least a dozen times. Took hours. That was one stage on one difficulty. This might be harder than some are expecting.

If the "finish all secret encounters" is for one difficulty, then yeah, it's a 5/10. If it is for every single encounter on every difficulty level, I don't understand how it's anything lower than a 9/10 considering there was no option to restart from checkpoint option like in MGR in the original Wii U release of this game.

Despite all that, I freaking love this game and I was one of the backers and I seriously can't wait to play it with faster load times and better frame rates. This is the most criminally underrated game on the Wii U, possibly the most criminally underrated game of this generation and was single handily responsible for my PS4 collecting dust when it launched with only a handful of games. Really hope people try it out, it's brimming with originality and replay value.

EDIT: I was getting the secret encounters mixed up with the Kahkoo-regah segments. They're not the same. You don't have to find all the Kahkoo-regah on all difficulties for this version. This'll probably be more like a 6/10 like most are saying. THANK GOD. If it required you to do all those, it'd be hair pulling. You still have to get at least a platinum rank on all operations, but that could be for one difficulty and doesn't require you to take no damage so that's a fair task to demand of players at least.

I'm pretty sure Kahkoo Regah count as secret missions, so you do have to do all of them on hard and 101% hard.

I'm currently struggling with the one on hard 002-B, with all the spiked enemies. Feel like just because of the hard/101 kahkoo regah this is a 9/10 or 10/10 plat, without it'd be a 5 or 6...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Benzychenz said:

I'm pretty sure Kahkoo Regah count as secret missions, so you do have to do all of them on hard and 101% hard.

I'm currently struggling with the one on hard 002-B, with all the spiked enemies. Feel like just because of the hard/101 kahkoo regah this is a 9/10 or 10/10 plat, without it'd be a 5 or 6...

Yeah... I have the game and found that out as well. This is definitely harder than some people thought it'd be. Still, I just beat it and it holds up. Faster load times and better frame rate definitely add to the experience. Such a shame few will give it a try because of its niche quality.

14 minutes ago, griffin123456789 said:

Yeah... I have the game and found that out as well. This is definitely harder than some people thought it'd be. Still, I just beat it and it holds up. Faster load times and better frame rate definitely add to the experience. Such a shame few will give it a try because of its niche quality.

Yeah it's definitely one of my favourite games ever. Loved it on Wii U and love it again on PS4. Never bothered finishing the higher difficulties on Wii U, going to give it a good crack here, but this difficulty is intense, and due to how poorly both releases have sold googling specific things doesn't give any good results lol.

Edited by Benzychenz
  • Like 1