Losing motivation for Platinum's

Dreakon139

With my current collection of games, I'm quickly finding myself losing interest in hunting down the platinum's. Whether it be because:

- I've gotten them once before and can't motivate myself to do it again (LBP2)

- They'd take forever and/or require multiple playthroughs (GTA IV, NHL 11, NHL 12, LBP1)

- Would be more fun with other people, but I haven't found other people to play with yet (RE5)

I know I'll be able to keep motivated in platting Uncharted 3 when it comes out, love that series. I'm also kind of hoping that Skyrim will grab me by the balls and I'll platinum it without even thinking about it lol. I really wanted to make this month before those two games come out all about getting a few of the platinums I have sitting in my game collection, but I just can't will myself to do it. I'm always just going back to NHL 12 and not earning trophies.

Working all week isn't helping, but it's a long weekend for me so nows a good time to make some headway on one of my games. Do you ever hit little road blocks like this? I must overcome it and plat a game or two before my dear Uncharted 3 and Skyrim come out.

Any advice? :)

Taking a break seems like the logical choice, but with a mere month left before many big releases, I wouldn't mind getting my head back in the game now. ;)

Dont play for trophies, play for fun. Its the best advice I can give.

Oh pish. What a canned answer. ;)

I want platinum's damnit, but most of these games I've been playing off and on for the last year or so and have grown a smidge tiresome. If it leads to better answers, lets pretend I don't want the trophies, I just want to breathe some life into these classics.

• Like 1

Maybe go for some mind-numbingly easy ones to make you appreciate the better ones?

That way, you'll be getting your plats and chipping away at your current collection.

I've got some games where I'm one trophy away from the plat/100% but because I'm bored of them, I'll play something else then go back to them when my enthusiasm to finish them is renewed.

I want platinum's damnit, but most of these games I've been playing off and on for the last year or so and have grown a smidge tiresome. If it leads to better answers, lets pretend I don't want the trophies, I just want to breathe some life into these classics.

As canned as it may seem fella, just take a look at my own trophy profile to see why I offer that advice. For me personally, I cant think of anything worse to get my enjoyment from a game than going for every trophy that is there. Generally I'll play a game from start to finish and maybe some multiplayer if I enjoy it. Whatever pops, pops.

I see some of you poor buggers put 40 hours into getting a bazillion kills in mp for a trophy and half the time you arent enjoying it. the phrase I most often hear is, "I cant wait until I've hit 26k gagillion kills, then I can stop playing this shitty MP." if its so shitty why play it?!

Play the game the way you want to, not the way the developers want you to. this is possibly why they justify 6 hour campaigns, because they think, guy has to play it 3 times to get all his trophies, duh, thats an 18 hour game!

If I do play a campaign 3 times it :

a ) Has to be pretty f**king amazing

and

b ) Is never played straight after a previous playthrough.

maybe you need a break in your play throughs on some of these games, I'm not sure, but honestly I stand by my original advice, because I believe you will enjoy gaming more that way. Whatever you choose, good luck and hope you get your gaming mojo back soon! ;)

• Like 2

maybe you need a break in your play throughs on some of these games, I'm not sure, but honestly I stand by my original advice, because I believe you will enjoy gaming more that way. whatever you choose, good luck and hope you get your gaming mojo back soon! ;)

I recently trimmed my PS3 game collection down to only the games I really enjoy playing, and made a new account (this one) to represent that. They're all games I enjoy and as such I would enjoy completing them in full someday, so it's not that I'm playing a shitty game just to get a platinum. They just happen to be, largely, the same games I've been playing for the last year or so... or longer in some cases (I've owned GTA4 on multiple platforms). And the fact that some of them are relatively ridiculous platinum's doesn't help too much.

In the back of my head, these are all games I enjoy and want to platinum... my heart just isn't in it at the moment. If possible, I'd like to force that to change before this month is up and I get distracted with new games. :P

Try new games instead of playing your old ones again. :) I mean dude you started another account to play the same games you got the plat for on your first account - granted you have some pretty kick ass games, but come on dude time to get some new ones. :)

• Like 1

Dont play for trophies, play for fun. Its the best advice I can give.

That right there!

Although I do like trophies, I have never let the quest for a trophy or trophies to be my driving factor in playing a game, especially grinding a game to death to obtain them. For me, all that does is result in major burn-out and the game goes from a fun escape to a chore.

I know far too many who, after grinding games to death never play them again, or can no longer enjoy them because they have literally sucked the life/fun out of them.

Although one can see my stats and easily recognize that I am far from a Platinum hunter; but at the same time, I can also honestly say that there is not a game I have that I still don't enjoy playing (with a few exceptions to a few poor games), and I think that is why: I play for the fun of the game, not the hunt of the Platinum.

It may seem like a "canned" answer, but at the same time, I and a few others are just offering our advice and what works for us.

I've been unfortunate enough to go through several little 'video game depressions'. All you need is a break or go play some other game on an older system and beat the shit out of it. Trophy fatigue is a bitch and a half.

With my current collection of games, I'm quickly finding myself losing interest in hunting down the platinum's. Whether it be because:

- I've gotten them once before and can't motivate myself to do it again (LBP2)

- They'd take forever and/or require multiple playthroughs (GTA IV, NHL 11, NHL 12, LBP1)

- Would be more fun with other people, but I haven't found other people to play with yet (RE5)

I know I'll be able to keep motivated in platting Uncharted 3 when it comes out, love that series. I'm also kind of hoping that Skyrim will grab me by the balls and I'll platinum it without even thinking about it lol. I really wanted to make this month before those two games come out all about getting a few of the platinums I have sitting in my game collection, but I just can't will myself to do it. I'm always just going back to NHL 12 and not earning trophies.

Working all week isn't helping, but it's a long weekend for me so nows a good time to make some headway on one of my games. Do you ever hit little road blocks like this? I must overcome it and plat a game or two before my dear Uncharted 3 and Skyrim come out.

Any advice? :)

Taking a break seems like the logical choice, but with a mere month left before many big releases, I wouldn't mind getting my head back in the game now. ;)

If You Want A Boosting Partner On RE5 I'd Love To Help You :) Add me H4RLI33_ Could Play That Game Forever xD

If You Want A Boosting Partner On RE5 I'd Love To Help You :) Add me H4RLI33_ Could Play That Game Forever xD

I might take you up on that offer. :) Really need to start playing that game again. Problem is I have a fat ps3 at 60GB and that game is huge (5-6GB I think), so I need to clear some room. :(

Try new games instead of playing your old ones again. :) I mean dude you started another account to play the same games you got the plat for on your first account - granted you have some pretty kick ass games, but come on dude time to get some new ones. :)

Probably is time for some new games. :P I'm hoping Uncharted 3 and Skyrim can fill that void.

I might take you up on that offer. :) Really need to start playing that game again. Problem is I have a fat ps3 at 60GB and that game is huge (5-6GB I think), so I need to clear some room. :(

Oh, and if you want to play RE5 I might be up for it sometime as well. I have a few suitors looking to play it apparently, but there's no reason I can't share the love. :P

Probably is time for some new games. :P I'm hoping Uncharted 3 and Skyrim can fill that void.

Oh, and if you want to play RE5 I might be up for it sometime as well. I have a few suitors looking to play it apparently, but there's no reason I can't share the love. :P

Your on my PSN bud just give me a shout. :)

Agree. Is that the third account you create :D maybe you should try to play other games bro :)

Iam also in the same state, I havent earned a single trophy for 3 months now both because Iam tired of trophies and busy with my life.

And also the completition's nature you have to plat every game in your profile is VERY stressfull. I say just play for fun and plat what you can if you bored with a game move to the next and come back later. If you dont feel to play that game again then fine dont play it. If you dont having fun really what is the point.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Today, i turned on my ps3 and i was greeted by the infamous red screen of death... I've been told the warranty is over and I'll have to buy a new one...

I managed 3 platinums (Saints Row, Infamous and RDR). I was just getting back into GTA IV... It was pretty cool having all those lovely little images as rewards for the many hours I enjoyed gaming...

Now, I'm probably just gonna wait and replace my ps3 when GTA V comes out...

Oh well... Just pixels, right?

Today, i turned on my ps3 and i was greeted by the infamous red screen of death... I've been told the warranty is over and I'll have to buy a new one...

I managed 3 platinums (Saints Row, Infamous and RDR). I was just getting back into GTA IV... It was pretty cool having all those lovely little images as rewards for the many hours I enjoyed gaming...

Now, I'm probably just gonna wait and replace my ps3 when GTA V comes out...

Oh well... Just pixels, right?

Well according to the ps3 hack scene, you should try a new HDD, or take the HDD you have in plug it in your pc and format it, then put it back in the ps3 and let it reformat to the ps3, after that if you can access the recovery menu you should try to reinstall the latest firmware. if those dont work then you need other hardware stuff which i wont go into but you can google ps3 red screen fix and find all kinds of hack sites explaining how to fix it.

I totally agree. I hit roadblocks every once in a while, but recently thanks to Grimy's Giveaway, I have been refocused and have been nearing the completion of a few ultra-rare plats. Now that I am back into the collecting, I don't see myself stopping soon. I am all about right now, finishing up games left and right!

Well according to the ps3 hack scene, you should try a new HDD, or take the HDD you have in plug it in your pc and format it, then put it back in the ps3 and let it reformat to the ps3, after that if you can access the recovery menu you should try to reinstall the latest firmware. if those dont work then you need other hardware stuff which i wont go into but you can google ps3 red screen fix and find all kinds of hack sites explaining how to fix it.

Thanks man... I'll see what I can do. It's not gonna be pretty, that's for sure!

It happens to me sometimes. I'll stop collecting trophies for a while untill I regain motivation for Platinums.

Now I play games for enjoyment and I don't hurry up or speed up the time to get the plat/100%. Sometimes I enjoy collecting some elements in a game with no trophy earned.

I saw some people, they are so hurry up to get the plat and don't want to spand more time on the elements in a game with no trophy earned. They just want to increase their number of plats/trophies AFAP. To me, this is like "Putting the cart before the horse.". When they get the plat/100%, they won't touch the game any more.

I sometimes play some games that I've already plated for fun. This is my opinion on this topic.

Edited by JKDdragonwithin

• 2 months later...