Ratalaika has published 72 games and many have received positive reviews from critics

usapro2017

I don’t see an issue playing Ratalaika games, I have played some of them and I’m interested in trying Distraint and My Big Sister as I like horror/adventure games.

the only difference is I have only played the games once and not stacked them 6 times each.

If people wanna stack games 6 games from different regions, more power to them. I just like to play a game and then move on to something new. Im

not addicted enough to trophies to play the same game 6 times just for easy trophies.

its the same with visual novels, I know some people hold down the fast forward and skip most of the stories to get 10 minute platinums. For me the game and story is more important and I actually read them over an extended period of time.
That’s why it took me 2 days and 8 hours to finish Raging Loop, over a month to finish Psycho Pass, around 4 months to finish the Phoenix Wright trilogy etc.

47 minutes ago, Malachen said:

I can recommend My Big Sister. It is one that you actually have to complete the game to get the Plat. I enjoyed my time with it and bought Just Ignore Them and Red Bow because of My Big Sister.

Totally agreed with this. That game made me buy the other two from the same dev. Certainly not 10/10 blockbuster triple AAA masterpieces, but they were still awesome to play with moderately good storylines to boot. Certainly not a 10 minute plat and done type of game. Few hours of investment for a few dollars. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

I don't need to be reminded of this. We all have our priorities.

I mean I guess if your priority is a dopamine rush of hearing a ding sound dude.

Are you the type of guy that think mods in Bethesda games is just Thomas the Tank Engine stuff? Just like PSNP, cheaters on Steam cheevos are processed in similar sites. 

But what the fuck do I know with my 300 cheevos from a hentai game.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Mrhemptastic said:

And before the flood gates open with people saying that some of there games are ok and i enjoyed them really... you enjoyed it that much you played it 3 times...  ye right we all know why you really played it lmao

Some people do like playing a game multiple times for trophies.  I have the plats for both stacks of Ys Origin, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana and Tokyo Xanadu.  I also have both the Japanese and NA plat for Trails of Cold Steel 3.  I sure as hell didn't get multiple plats in those games just for the sake of getting plats.  I also did enjoy playing Devious Dungeon both times I played it.  Doubt I would have bought it a second time for PS4 just for trophies (though I might have if it was on sale for cheap), but since it was cross-buy and fun I did enjoy playing it a second time.

17 minutes ago, twothumbedfist said:

Plats are participation medals now for the most part and the leader boards are meaningless. The only real challenge that is left is certain community events or challenges you set for yourself. 

You say this like it hasn't been the case for years already.  Leaderboards like these ones are always meaningless because the top spots are pretty much only open to people who have a lot more time to play than the average person does and got into PSN early.  Before Ratalaika games, it was Telltale games and VNs supposedly "devaluing platinums"  Trophy hunting and achievement hunting have always been more about personal challenges and communities like this exist to help people with achieving those.  I bet we could do a poll and find out that a majority of active users on here actually don't care about the leaderboards and only care about playing games and earning trophies.  I know I sure never cared about my leaderboard rank, I joined this site for the active community and the challenges in the forums.  I doubt people who are newer to PSN joined this site for the leaderboards.  The active community is what draws most people into joining this site.

1 hour ago, Mrhemptastic said:

what happened to playing games for fun..?

1 hour ago, Juzota said:

I'm having fun playing these so called trash games, so checkmate?

But are you playing for the fun or for the plat?

Do you buy devious dungeon for the ideology of having fun, or just because cost a buck and gives you a free plat. With fun been a nice side property?

I honestly enjoy a good bit of steam trash games myself. But the trashier the better and ports of mobile games wouldn't cut it. But thats just me :)

46 minutes ago, twothumbedfist said:

Shit awful publisher, they've poisoned the well for trophy hunting and bought a bunch of entitled, nonsense spouting crybabies into the community.

Platinum trophies were supposed to prove that you'd mastered a games mechanics to a degree that most people could not. If a platinum unlocks just by holding the left thumbstick and pressing a button occasionally, all it proves is that you bought the game. 

Plats are participation medals now for the most part and the leader boards are meaningless. The only real challenge that is left is certain community events or challenges you set for yourself. 

The best trophy lists are the ones were you would finish the game and do some challenging stuff which requires atleast a bit of skill or deeper knowledge of the game. How far you want to take it is up to the devs. Hence why people are talking about the minimal 'complete the game'  ideology.

Imo every game deserves a platinum trophy as every game can require some amount of mastery. Though the road to the platinum is broken by easy nonsensical trophies.

Devaluation is another subject that you cannot regulate.

--

Unless you see trophy hunting as a whole. There isn't anything that differs much for hunting trophies other then somebody speeding through you on the leader boards. Ignore them, laugh at them and then continue to finish the games most fun to you or even challenging for that matter.

I like yooka-laylee and beating the challenging ' impossible lair' isn't going to be stopped by somebody else doing 4 metagal stacks. Set the challenges for yourself I guess, but that concept was already on-going before the ratgames purge.

Ratgames, even with how shady they are, I find it admirable how do snatched an open field and made a lot of profit, because of the leaderboard dinosaurs.

Edited by Bumperklever

51 minutes ago, twothumbedfist said:

Shit awful publisher, they've poisoned the well for trophy hunting and bought a bunch of entitled, nonsense spouting crybabies into the community.

Platinum trophies were supposed to prove that you'd mastered a games mechanics to a degree that most people could not. If a platinum unlocks just by holding the left thumbstick and pressing a button occasionally, all it proves is that you bought the game. 

couldn't agree more.

well said!

1 hour ago, Juzota said:

I'm having fun playing these so called trash games, so checkmate?

No offence but id prefer to not have 15 minute bursts of fun. 

3 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

They get all the hate because they deflated the value of a platinum

Does it, though? I'd say that ship sailed when we switched to the PS4.

A low rank platinum is a low rank platinum, a high rank platinum is a high rank platinum. It's less that they are devalued and more that they hold their value.

We ran into this exact scenario on Steam a handful of years ago. Tales of Maj'Eyal had been around for a while, but no one had made a serious attempt at the achievement list, the largest one of any game at the time, as the game is particularly hard. Then someone did. There was a lot of complaining across the achievement hunting community about how this one game could propel someone to the top of the rankings at as low as 30% completion. Know what happened? More and more people tired it, this forced the easier achievements down in value and the highest value achievements, that only a few had to begin with, up very slightly in value. Everyone who wasn't at the top or the bottom hardly felt a bump in their placement. It all evens itself out if given enough time.

The same is happening with the PSN, albeit slower due to how the PSN ecosystem works. Piles of low rank, piss easy platinums have so little value that it's only a slight bump for people who are at the very bottom or the very top. Everyone in the middle, which is the vast majority of players, are unaffected.

2 hours ago, totallycrushed said:

That's it?

Gotta bump those numbers up, those are rookie numbers! *points at right hand gamercard below*

((This is a joke, btw~))

19 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

Lol. Lets be real, people (on this site) purchase Ratalaika games for the plats only.

Only, no, I want the Vita versions for the bus and train.

And "Ganbare! Super Strikers" because its alot of fun and reminded me of "Tecmo Cup" on NES :)

But several of them were pure trash, sure. Didnt cost alot of money to find that out tho :)

4 hours ago, usapro2017 said:

Someone on my friends list on PSN said that if anyone on his friends list puts a Ratalaika game on their profile he will instantly unfriend them.
He said people that play Ratalaika games are just as bad as people that hack trophies.

Lol, what an idiot, thats actually hilarious. Imagine being a person that care that much about what other people play. 

?

2 hours ago, Mrhemptastic said:

couldn't agree more.

well said!

You do realize alot of these games are longer than 15 minutes right? You get the plat after 15 in many of them sure, but when you have got it , you are often not even close to the middle of the game. Thats kinda stupid but people seem to assume all of the games are short. 

• Like 1

I buy them for my vita. I have 2 15min. Breaks each day at work, they are cheap and awesome for that. Devious dungeon/2, Random Heroes, I love those. They are simple but fun. Ive played past platinum on all of them. Assuming everyone buys for ps4 or easy plats is wrong.

6 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

Does it, though? I'd say that ship sailed when we switched to the PS4.

A low rank platinum is a low rank platinum, a high rank platinum is a high rank platinum. It's less that they are devalued and more that they hold their value.

We ran into this exact scenario on Steam a handful of years ago. Tales of Maj'Eyal had been around for a while, but no one had made a serious attempt at the achievement list, the largest one of any game at the time, as the game is particularly hard. Then someone did. There was a lot of complaining across the achievement hunting community about how this one game could propel someone to the top of the rankings at as low as 30% completion. Know what happened? More and more people tired it, this forced the easier achievements down in value and the highest value achievements, that only a few had to begin with, up very slightly in value. Everyone who wasn't at the top or the bottom hardly felt a bump in their placement. It all evens itself out if given enough time.

You're definitely right in regards to the Steam achievement hunting community.  Can't forget that after that came games like Pixel Puzzles Ultimate that are actually easy and only have high rarities on some sites because very few own all the DLC, but the base game is free so it has a ton of owners.  Then came the worthless spam games that made achievement count a completely pointless stat because you can get a few cheap games and get thousands of achievements in hours when it took years for people to get up to 10k previously.  The only thing Steam did about those was put in a limit of 5000 achievements per game, which is still insanely high.  That's why I find it funny when people talk about platinums being devalued here and trophies having no meaning.  It still means something to get a platinum and to get X number of trophies because Sony's limit of trophies per game is much smaller.  It's impossible on PSN to buy a $5 game and get 5000 trophies from it in an hour like you can on Steam.  PSN isn't going to have games like Tales of Maj'Eyal and Pixel Puzzles Ultimate that have 1000+ trophies with a lot of them being rare.

But to be honest, I don't think the trophy system had much "value" from the start.  Even on PS3 there are easy plats that take little effort or time to get and the same was true on Xbox 360.  I put value in quotes though because the value of a trophy is only what people make it to be whether it be because of a challenge in earning the trophy, a large time commitment, or just that the game was really good and they had a lot of fun playing it.  To some people a plat means a lot because they only plat games they really enjoy, to others they enjoy the satisfaction of completing all games they start no matter how easy or hard it is.  Everyone has a different aim when it comes to trophy hunting and that is the true value of trophies.

6 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

It is like with Trine 2. A great game that gave you the plat when you were like 75% done.

I just wish games would make you at least beat the game to get the plat. Like Tell Tale games, not hard platinums but at least you have to beat them.

Well said, and so very true.

6 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

They get all the hate because they deflated the value of a platinum, and lets not forget how games would generally only have 1 trophy list to now having 6 seperate trophy lists, you can argue that yes sound shapes started that whole ordeal but no other publisher took that idea and ran as far as they could with it than Ratalaika games has

Going to have to agree with this.

5 hours ago, Mrhemptastic said:

what happened to playing games for fun..? 

most there games are garbage and most the reviews are bs. 

And before the flood gates open with people saying that some of there games are ok and i enjoyed them really... you enjoyed it that much you played it 3 times...  ye right we all know why you really played it lmao

all your profiles look like sh*t.

Pages of duplicated sh*t.. 

90 percent of everything is shit.

Sony used to have quality control, but that went away once the PS4 hit the shelves. In many respects they are no different than Steam now. Garbage gets passed onto the store, and almost none of it appeals to me in the slightest. Copy and paste the same trophy lists with 11 gold and one platinum trophy.

5 hours ago, totallycrushed said:

I mean I guess if your priority is a dopamine rush of hearing a ding sound dude.

Are you the type of guy that think mods in Bethesda games is just Thomas the Tank Engine stuff? Just like PSNP, cheaters on Steam cheevos are processed in similar sites. 

This just shows how little you know about me.

Steam is completely fucked up when it comes to their achievement system. Some games have thousands of Steam achievements and as I said to someone else, there is a program that automatically gets achievements for you. So it may as well be outright cheating.

Some people go after Steam achievements without outright cheating, more power to them. I never saw any real value in them. Sony definitely has better standards with trophies, even if their overall value has greatly declined in recent years.

5 hours ago, twothumbedfist said:

Participation trophies. Platinum trophies by their sole value isn't much.

If I compare Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus's platinum against a Ratalaika platinum, obviously I'm going to value Wolfenstein because that requires skill and a lot of dedication to get. With Ratalaika platinums, a 10 year old kid can easily obtain them.

It's not hard. It defeats how people initially looked at trophies.

2 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

The same is happening with the PSN, albeit slower due to how the PSN ecosystem works. Piles of low rank, piss easy platinums have so little value that it's only a slight bump for people who are at the very bottom or the very top. Everyone in the middle, which is the vast majority of players, are unaffected.

There is no standard anymore.

As much as I hate where AAA games are going, their trophy lists I can at least respect somewhat because you have to beat the game and do a bunch of collectibles. A platinum trophy used to mean you had to experience a lot of the game, beating it's various difficulties, and doing some task that required some modicum of skill or dedication.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a good example of this. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus has a solid list and that platinum separates the casuals from the more hardcore players.

I don't think you really cared about trophies much to begin with. My list would look like yours if I just kept jumping from one game to the next.

Obviously there were exceptions. Hannah Montana was a very easy platinum. Trine 2 was very easy with a platinum that didn't even require you to beat the game. But for the most part, the easy stuff you found back on the PS3 and Xbox 360 was a 5 - 10 hour platinum, you still had to beat the games and do some other tasks before you earned your platinum.

Today some hack developer running a shoestring budget can make a shitty game, have it get approved on Steam and PS4, and throw on some participation trophies to where even little kids can earn them all with virtually no real effort.

And with how many shitty games get put on the PS4 every day, the floodgates have remained open for a long time and nobody gives a shit in the end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I don't think you really cared about trophies much to begin with. My list would look like yours if I just kept jumping from one game to the next.

I did, just little time and very unfocused over the years, mixed with stressful times. I can see evidence of this in myself when I return to older stuff and find that troublesome games were no where near as hard as I was making them, just tumbling through trying to find some mental relief. Would you believe I found South Park: The Stick of Truth really damn difficult the first time I played it, back when it was new? My head just wasn't on straight for years.

I've been attempting to (slowly) clean up my lists so it's a bit more presentable. I'd like to get my completion percentage up to at least 75% before I even think about getting a PS5. And, you know, I paid for a lot of this crap, should probably play it.

Edit: I should also add that in more recent years my partner, who is primarily a PC gamer, has bought, played and dropped a couple titles on my list. So I'll eventually have to go back and clean that up as well.

Edited by Jelly Soup

Look I won't lie for a second, I'm buying them all for the plats.

But I've played two thus far and they were both pretty fun and gave me a good couple hours or so each for a couple of bucks. And I've still got the PS4 versions to burn through again that come with it, fuck I miss Cross Buy. 

Squareboy is a solid lil beat 'em up, sometimes it's a bit unresponsive and it can be a bit of a ♥, but if you're not constantly exploiting the dash and jump attacks, it actually has a reasonable bit of challenge in the latter half, like it's not hard, but I mean, I died a few times. I meant to buy this when it came to Switch like a year ago but forgot, there's a few games by companies like Ratalaika and Sometimes You that I picked up on Switch for like a dollar or two because fuck it, that I've since learned have piss easy trophies and I'm bummed I missed out.

Anyway, the other one, 36 Fragments, is also quite fun, albeit a lot shorter if you're any good. People gunning it to the end multiple times would defo lower the time to plat, but I'd say for the average schmuck an hour or so is fair to say. I got the one for beating it in under 6 minutes on my first finish though (many many deaths before that) so I mean, it's far from hard, you just need to be a bit more patient and or smarter than I was. 

Point being. Yeah fuck it, trophies are fun and go ding and they know exactly what they're doing, but I support it. So far these games have been nothing but fun for me, and I look forward to Metagal or Metal Girl or whatever the fuck the Mega Man clone was called the most. Like, we all bought them for the trophies, but know what, if the devs themselves released these games and charged the same prices and everything, the only difference was they weren't coming with an easy plat and the Rata branding, they would be picked up by maybe 3 people, so I see it as a win win for all involved. The dev gets their little game into a few more hands (though you can debate the usefulness of that when most drop it after 10 mins and the pop plats), Rata make some easy money, we get some stupid shiny digital awards, and best of all, I get to kill a lazy Sunday. 

*Oh no, trophies are meaningless now!*

Hannah Montana, Terminator 4, Walking Dead, Fables, Back to the Future, Megamind, Cloudy Meatballs, Tony Hawk HD, Jak 2 with the exploit, Mayo, Sound Shapes' stacks, and many, maaaaaany others, would like a word.

Like I enjoy playing little indie things when the price is right. Stuff like Vaccine that I bought on Switch, lot of people trashed it, a looooooooot of people trashed it, I love that game, I still find myself coming back to it. Shit like Back in 1995, never played it, but was super interested in the visual style and tone and whatnot, definitely was gonna grab that the second it was around 5 bucks or so. If I would buy it on Switch where there's no trophies, as I have already with many things like this, then I guess I must just actually be interested in the game*

*Shit like Foxyland I have no interest in though, and you know full well why I bought it.

2 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

I did, just little time and very unfocused over the years, mixed with stressful times. I can see evidence of this in myself when I return to older stuff and find that troublesome games were no where near as hard as I was making them, just tumbling through trying to find some mental relief. Would you believe I found South Park: The Stick of Truth really damn difficult the first time I played it, back when it was new? My head just wasn't on straight for years.

I've been attempting to (slowly) clean up my lists so it's a bit more presentable. I'd like to get my completion percentage up to at least 75% before I even think about getting a PS5. And, you know, I paid for a lot of this crap, should probably play it.

Edit: I should also add that in more recent years my partner, who is primarily a PC gamer, has bought, played and dropped a couple titles on my list. So I'll eventually have to go back and clean that up as well.

It's been the opposite for me.

I don't think I've played Grand Theft Auto III since 2005 - 2006, and it's been damn near a decade since I touched Grand Theft Auto Vice City. I remember so much about those games because they had an impact during my teenage years when I was still impressionable. I bought the entire trilogy from the sale, played through them for a couple hours, and find myself struggling to even do the first few missions.

We've been pampered with stuff like Days Gone and Marvel's Spider-Man, we forget about how clunky and cumbersome the controls were in the older games. Even Batman: Arkham City, which I'm currently wrapping up on the platinum, feels a little stiff.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Hannah Montana, Terminator 4, Walking Dead, Fables, Back to the Future, Megamind, Cloudy Meatballs, Tony Hawk HD, Jak 2 with the exploit, Mayo, Sound Shapes' stacks, and many, maaaaaany others, would like a word.

Tony Hawk and Jak 2 (before the debug menu became known) aren't trophy whore games. Terminator Salvation had a couple difficult sections, but you earned that platinum once you finished the story, and you were required to beat Hard difficulty.

Sound Shapes didn't have six stacks until a year later. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time also has an autopop platinum once you transferred that save file to the other version.

The number of easy games on the PS3 is a mere fraction of the number of easy games you can get on the PS4. You didn't have so many games coming with a bunch of stacks. Sound Shapes was the exception on the PS3, but if you only had the PS3 and nothing else, you couldn't stack the other versions. There was nothing on the PS3 that had region stacks.

9 hours ago, Bumperklever said:

But are you playing for the fun or for the plat?

I don't see these two things cancel each other.

9 hours ago, Mrhemptastic said:

Why? I think it's better than nothing.

• Like 2

I wonder if those games had a  100% trophy list of 11 Bronze 1 Silver 1 Gold and no plat, would people still buy those games ? 

seems so odd seeing profiles with more gold than bronze..

Edited by ahmedelebiary