Will I be wasting my time without the expansions?

jonesey46

I bought this game at launch and was hugely disappointed with it because I wasn't fully aware of what kind of game it was. I beat the story solo and played the PvP a bit and then I abandoned it. 

Anyway, it's been 6 years and I want to get back into it with the aim of getting 100%. My question is, is it worth playing the base game without the DLC or would I be wasting my time? Does owning the DLC make everything easier? The DLC is super expensive so I'm hesitant to buy it at the moment but want to start playing the game soon. I'll hold off if the DLC truly does cut some time off the grind so let me know.

Cheers. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

I bought this game at launch and was hugely disappointed with it because I wasn't fully aware of what kind of game it was. I beat the story solo and played the PvP a bit and then I abandoned it. 

Anyway, it's been 6 years and I want to get back into it with the aim of getting 100%. My question is, is it worth playing the base game without the DLC or would I be wasting my time? Does owning the DLC make everything easier? The DLC is super expensive so I'm hesitant to buy it at the moment but want to start playing the game soon. I'll hold off if the DLC truly does cut some time off the grind so let me know.

Cheers. 

The gear you get from DLC content leaves you overpowered for anything needed for the platinum. More specifically, the easiest raid to complete flawlessly is Crota's end which is a DLC only raid

• Like 1

DLC makes the game so much easier. The increased power level alone makes you tankier and makes enemies die faster. Like @Cleggworth said, Crota’s End Raid is the most practical for getting the Flawless Raider trophy. Any other raid is much more difficult for earning raid trophies and lengthier.

The Taken King and Rise of Iron are really good expansions compared to the base game. They added a lot of fun strikes, new raids, and a half decent story mode (compared to what was given in the base game). I think I’ve seen bundles of the game with all DLC for like $30 on sale on PSN so just keep an eye out ;)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Cheers. 

If you're in the UK, you should be able to get the Destiny the Collection version on disc for less than 20 and it includes all of the dlc

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

If you're in the UK, you should be able to get the Destiny the Collection version on disc for less than 20 and it includes all of the dlc

I can't find it for any less than £40 but I haven't searched extensively. I'll have a look, thanks. 

1 hour ago, ResoluteRock said:

DLC makes the game so much easier. The increased power level alone makes you tankier and makes enemies die faster. Like @Cleggworth said, Crota’s End Raid is the most practical for getting the Flawless Raider trophy. Any other raid is much more difficult for earning raid trophies and lengthier.

The Taken King and Rise of Iron are really good expansions compared to the base game. They added a lot of fun strikes, new raids, and a half decent story mode (compared to what was given in the base game). I think I’ve seen bundles of the game with all DLC for like $30 on sale on PSN so just keep an eye out ;)

Thanks so much for your detailed response. I'll be sure to hold off for now before getting all the dlc then. 

2 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

I can't find it for any less than £40 but I haven't searched extensively. I'll have a look, thanks. 

Thanks so much for your detailed response. I'll be sure to hold off for now before getting all the dlc then. 

Here you go, for 13 pounds

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114120955909

Should be compatible with your version I think

Edited by SnowxSakura

• 1 month later...

Are the DLCs worth if if you aim to get the trophies? Definitely.

Do i think the DLCs are worth their purchase because of the content? No. Destiny has always felt really bland to me no matter the enemies or planets you fight on. It's all the same with a different skin and gets boring quick. The only fun part are the raids assuming u don't have dipshit squad. I had to re-do the last raid with 4 different psnprofile game session groups cuz there were always people dragging the rest down and then eventually 1 guy has to leave and the group never gets back together. Keep the lack of good team mates in mind. Because the enthusiastic/skilled people have all moved on to Destiny 2.