Why is trophy hunting/achievement hunting still niche and not mainstream?

usapro2017

I have often heard that trophy hunting is fairly niche and only a small percentage of gamers care about trophy hunting/achievement hunting..  but why do you think this is? Why did it never become hugely mainstream?

In the PS5 generation, do you think the amount of people that trophy/achievement hunt will increase? decrease? or stay about the same?

• Like 1

No actual reward, few years ago when Sony gave reward points when people unlock trophies, I feel it is a great program to attract more players to hunt trophies. Unfortunately they kill it. Right know Microsoft gave some reward points when players unlock achievements daily. It is not much, but it is a good start. Before that I only turned on my Xbox One once in a while. Now I will spend at least an hour per day to unlock an achievement in order to earn reward points. In conclusion, you need to have certain rewards to attract players.

Lol my real life friends sometimes shame me for the lengths I go to with trophy hunting. What I find funny is that they also try using trophies as a way to get me to play a certain game with them. For example my real life friends have recently gotten into For Honor, and are telling me that the trophy list doesn't seem too hard and that I should give it a shot. If you see me playing For Honor sometime soon, now you will know why ? honestly there should be a larger incentive for getting trophies in order to make it more mainstream. That, or some popular YouTuber or streamer needs to really show interest in it for it to blow up.

47 minutes ago, usapro2017 said:

I have often heard that trophy hunting is fairly niche and only a small percentage of gamers care about trophy hunting/achievement hunting..  but why do you think this is? Why did it never become hugely mainstream?

What the hell? Are you aware that certain companies built their entire business model around exploiting achievement hunters? The Spanish publisher Ratalaika Games S.L. is the first name that should come to mind.

Every gaming distribution platform has an achievement system. Nintendo being the only exception by now. No matter if you're playing on Steam, gog.com, UPlay, Origin or other more specialized platforms: You can collect achievements. It is mainstream. It has always been. Achievements are a highly calculated thing. When Microsoft introduced them on a large scale in 2005, they didn't do it because they're nice. They did it as a loyalty business model. That's what it has always been.

I'm once again shocked and baffled about how naive many people are.

• Like 1

It was meant to be main stream, but just like the way Sony tried to set up PSN as some new sort of social network and push Vita as the next uber game console, it didn't exactly work out like that. Pretty much every platinum is an ultra rare on PSN, which means that at best 1 in 20 gamers will be actively hunting for trophies. How is that not a niche? It is, and it always will be. The other 19 out of those 20 players only care about playing online or playing the story to completion.

And that's fine by me as I have never aspired to be part of the majority, so as long as trophies stay around I don't care how few people go out and look for them.

• Like 1

Friends of mine only plat games they really enjoy like Spiderman, GoW. Easy AAA plats. They can't be bothered getting plats in games they don't really enjoy. Unlike trophy hunters who would suck a dick for bronze trophy casuals only trophy hunt when it's a game worth it.

• Like 1

Some people say it’s meaningless, but that isn’t a good reason as finishing all in game tasks are meaningless.

However, because they are a meta task, and devs rarely take time to visually display them in game, they do have (stupidly) a reputation for not being a game task that the developers devise.

I also think it’s because most gamers just aren’t completionists for a start, and because another large section of gamers only care about playing and hanging out with their mates online, many wouldn’t even start the single player aspect of a game.

1 hour ago, Quink666 said:

Unlike trophy hunters who would suck a dick for bronze trophy...

Um, no. Gold? Maybe ?

Mainstream, probably not. However, I do believe that trophy hunters and trophy hunting will increase over time. Some hunters fall off over time while others climb on board later, but the net result will increase as long as the community doesn't ruin it for those newcomers.

• Like 1

The majority of the players just want to play games and move on. The patient that you require for the grinds or difficult trophies such as not dieing, speedrunning a game etc is too much for the majority. Most players find trophies a waste of time and pointless. 

• Like 2

I've been told once on this site that I'm not a trophy hunter because, and I quote:

Trophy Hunting, for the majority of people, is getting as many trophies as they could (and that's why they do the stacks) and climb the leaderboards to be in the Big Leagues (the first 5-10 places). The thing that you do it's not trophy hunting.

If that is your definition of trophy hunting, then it is not and will never be mainstream because I'm pretty sure that most players will agree that it is a huge waste of money and time (no offense, just my personal opinion). 

Now, if you allow for a broader definition, then while still not mainstream, I think there are more trophy hunters than only the people on this page. Most just don't go out of their way to get all trophies / achievements in every single game they play, but they might in games they've truly enjoyed. I know people in real life that are this way, but even well-known twitch streamers will get all achievements in certain games they play. You also very often find comments on trophy-unrelated youtube videos of people talking about the plat of the game in question. 

However, trophy hunting is not necessarily very entertaining to watch, so it's difficult to sell. It doesn't generate a huge audience, so it ain't lucrative for individuals or companies either (unless you are selling trophies on Ebay... seriously, people use those services...), so it will never become truly mainstream. 

• Like 4