Why is trophy hunting/achievement hunting still niche and not mainstream?

usapro2017

One thing I’d add to this long discussion is I think trophies are valuable to a lot of gamers who aren’t hunters per se. Hearing that “ding” like you did a good job is still satisfying even if you’re not obsessive about it. It’s the same way the “liking” works on social media. You don’t have to be a breakthrough account to enjoy it. 

There are actually a great deal of higher ranked accounts on this site who have like 30 plats but 10k plus trophies - people who clearly don’t hunt to completion but accumulate vast amounts of trophies nonetheless, story based, etc. They are still valuable even if someone isn’t a collector necessarily. 

On 5/6/2020 at 4:18 PM, PalaceOfLove706 said:

One thing I’d add to this long discussion is I think trophies are valuable to a lot of gamers who aren’t hunters per se. Hearing that “ding” like you did a good job is still satisfying even if you’re not obsessive about it. It’s the same way the “liking” works on social media. You don’t have to be a breakthrough account to enjoy it. 

There are actually a great deal of higher ranked accounts on this site who have like 30 plats but 10k plus trophies - people who clearly don’t hunt to completion but accumulate vast amounts of trophies nonetheless, story based, etc. They are still valuable even if someone isn’t a collector necessarily. 

That's the thing though.

Some guys I worked with in real life never saw the value in trophies. They had maybe one or two platinums in games like inFamous: Second Son or Dark Souls. Technically they are not hunters, they are casual players who first and foremost play games to get the most enjoyment out of them.

Also I think more people who don't care about trophies turn trophy notifications off. For some it's more enjoyable to not see random trophy pop ups whenever they finish a part of a story, or take down a boss.

In a way they are collectors. A lot of collectors don't necessarily finish their games, their hobby is mostly collecting games and playing the stuff they find the most enjoyable. Completionists don't use that approach. They generally have less games, but spend a lot more time on them because that's what you usually have to do to earn platinums.

The guy that spends his time fully completing Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid is not going to have as many games as someone who plays a thousand games for 10 - 30 minutes, and moves to the next.

Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 3/5/2020 at 0:20 AM, GTA_Darren said:

No actual reward, few years ago when Sony gave reward points when people unlock trophies, I feel it is a great program to attract more players to hunt trophies. Unfortunately they kill it. Right know Microsoft gave some reward points when players unlock achievements daily. It is not much, but it is a good start. Before that I only turned on my Xbox One once in a while. Now I will spend at least an hour per day to unlock an achievement in order to earn reward points. In conclusion, you need to have certain rewards to attract players.

And seems it will return. Maybe this new rewards system attracts more people to Trophy Hunting