Nintendo Announces 2DS

Crisis001

I must admit, I don't think it's a good idea:

Nintendo announced the 2DS today, a new entry-level handheld system. The 2DS will be available for $129.99 on October 12th (the same day as Pokemon X and Y) and features a slate-like design rather than the clamshell seen on DS and 3DS models.

The 2DS is fully compatible with all 3DS and DS games but does not include the ability to display games in 3D. It still features all the functionality of 3DS (WiFi, local multiplayer, etc.) and can be put to sleep using a slider that replicates closing the clamshell on a standard 3DS. WiFi can still be turned off, though it’s done via controls in the software rather than with a physical switch.

More on IGN!

Edited by Crisis001

It's really ugly looking.. 2DS is what they should have done to begin with though.. it doesn't matter if the 3D is turned on or not on the 3DS, it still hurts my eyes playing it.  I seen a few people already raise concerns about the second analog stick attachment.. so who knows if this thing be able to play Monster Hunter.

this isn't as terrible an idea as you people seem to fear. The price is nice, and all you're losing is the 3d, which doesn't appeal to everyone. You can barely get a PSP for that. It is ugly, though, and marketed, according to the article, to 5 and 6 year olds. It's a mixed bag, but surprisingly affordable for a new.. thing. I won't get it, though.

The 2DS plays all 3ds and regular DS games. However the 3D option is detrimental to children under the age of 7. They already spoke to IGN saying that the 2DS is for children under the age of 7. It's more durable of a design and cheaper for the younger audience :P. It's a decent idea lol

• Like 1

The 2DS plays all 3ds and regular DS games. However the 3D option is detrimental to children under the age of 7. They already spoke to IGN saying that the 2DS is for children under the age of 7. It's more durable of a design and cheaper for the younger audience :P. It's a decent idea lol

They should've figured out that it was detrimental to those under 7 years old before releasing the 3DS, no? I mean, this is not new knowledge and their core audience is casuals and kids. The 3DS came out over two years ago . . .

This (yet again, just like with the 3DS XL) would have been a perfect time to add a second analog stick to the system, but of course Nintendo would rather make another "circle pad" to sell to us and make even more money. For a company whose fans act like the company is so "innovative" it doesn't seem like it should be difficult to give gamers what they want. I also don't understand why it is so difficult to just turn the slider all the way down on a 3DS, or if parents are concerned about their kids eyes have an update that allows the 3D effect to be controlled by parental controls so a kid would have to know the password to mess with it. Oh well, I'm sure the Nintendo fans will eat this up and claim it is the best thing since sliced bread...

Parker

• Like 2