What did you think of the game?

2 hours ago, Sifferino said:

How does it compare to the previous game? Similar? Didn’t like that one at all, but Bumperklever peaked my interest when he mentioned Rayman Origins (which I loved). 

This is a side-scrolling 2D (or 2.5D), I would say it have very little in common with the first game. 

3 hours ago, Satsarn13 said:

This is a side-scrolling 2D (or 2.5D), I would say it have very little in common with the first game. 

Thanks... I never even bothered to look at any game footage after my disappointment with the first game! Will do that now, might have discovered a new game for me to play ?

On 5/3/2020 at 6:52 AM, Sifferino said:

How does it compare to the previous game? Similar? Didn’t like that one at all, but Bumperklever peaked my interest when he mentioned Rayman Origins (which I loved). 

If the previous game were Donkey Kong 64, this one would be Donkey Kong Country. 

Honestly, I enjoyed Impossible Lair a fair bit. I did encounter a few bugs that were VERY annoying. But for the most part I had a good experience. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I was really enjoying the game, right up until the impossible lair itself.

The difficulty spike is ridiculous.

I've come across quite a few games where the one area, or challenge etc. completely sours the experience of a game, and for me this is one of those cases.

A happy bouncy platformer, plenty of secrets to find, hidden areas, collectables and all the other dressings usually found in other cartoony platformers.

The impossible lair, the thing required to actually finish the game, is akin to plenty of other platforming rage games that i avoid like the plague precisely because i don't like them.

I'm not even sure i would have even bothered picking this game up, knowing what i know now about the impossible lair.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other people telling me how shit i am at the game because of this, or tell me to 'git gud'.

I also noticed there are quite a few sections of the impossible lair that seem poorly designed (excuses excuses), where the odds of not being hit are virtually impossible given the timing of rope pulleys and enemy movements.

TL;DR: I liked Yooka Laylee, but i hated the impossible lair.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

I was really enjoying the game, right up until the impossible lair itself.

The difficulty spike is ridiculous.

I've come across quite a few games where the one area, or challenge etc. completely sours the experience of a game, and for me this is one of those cases.

A happy bouncy platformer, plenty of secrets to find, hidden areas, collectables and all the other dressings usually found in other cartoony platformers.

The impossible lair, the thing required to actually finish the game, is akin to plenty of other platforming rage games that i avoid like the plague precisely because i don't like them.

I'm not even sure i would have even bothered picking this game up, knowing what i know now about the impossible lair.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other people telling me how shit i am at the game because of this, or tell me to 'git gud'.

I also noticed there are quite a few sections of the impossible lair that seem poorly designed (excuses excuses), where the odds of not being hit are virtually impossible given the timing of rope pulleys and enemy movements.

TL;DR: I liked Yooka Laylee, but i hated the impossible lair.

I used to speedrun donkey kong country on SNES and PC emu, so platformers are what I love and this was next level. However that being said, the impossible lair is hard for sure and for all the wrong reasons. I agree with you on how there are some points where being hit is unavoidable. They have implemented the save feature for the 4 parts which was a nice addition for those struggling with it.

Edited by AnOrdinaryBloke
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, AnOrdinaryBloke said:

I used to speedrun donkey kong country on SNES and PC emu, so platformers are what I love. However that being said, the impossible lair is hard for sure and for all the wrong reasons. I agree with you on how there are some points where being hit is unavoidable. They have implemented the save feature for the 4 parts which was a nice addition for those struggling with it.

I'll have to go back to it again at some point, but after having a couple of attempts at it today, i'm on the verge of either snapping the disc or my controller in two, and i truly hate feeling that way about a game i genuinely liked.

I have much respect for speedrunners, i don't know how any of you have the patience to run through the same sections of a level over and over again, it'd drive me nuts!

I really like platformers. I mean, Super Mario Galaxy and Sunshine had some super annoying parts, but it felt rewarding at the end of it. If anything, by the time i eventually finish Yooka Laylee and The Impossible Lair, i think i'll be more relieved to see the back of it than feeling rewarded for seeing the ending  >.<

2 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

I'll have to go back to it again at some point, but after having a couple of attempts at it today, i'm on the verge of either snapping the disc or my controller in two, and i truly hate feeling that way about a game i genuinely liked.

I have much respect for speedrunners, i don't know how any of you have the patience to run through the same sections of a level over and over again, it'd drive me nuts!

I really like platformers. I mean, Super Mario Galaxy and Sunshine had some super annoying parts, but it felt rewarding at the end of it. If anything, by the time i eventually finish Yooka Laylee and The Impossible Lair, i think i'll be more relieved to see the back of it than feeling rewarded for seeing the ending  >.<

Ensure you have a full bee army and then tackle the lair in segments, replaying the first portion until you have a substantial bee count, then save and tackle the second one and so forth. Youll find ways to save bees and make it easier going forward.

1 minute ago, AnOrdinaryBloke said:

Ensure you have a full bee army and then tackle the lair in segments, replaying the first portion until you have a substantial bee count, then save and tackle the second one and so forth. Youll find ways to save bees and make it easier going forward.

Yeah i did go back to the first section, but i think it's got to the point where i need to take a small break from it.

I found going back to it, i was making loads of stupid mistakes that i wasn't making before, and i think it's because i'm so frustrated with it and i already know i can get past certain points but now i'm rushing them and screwing up  xD

I'll have another go tomorrow when i've calmed down a bit. I'll dust off some of my figures off as therapy for a while  :D 

Finally finished it.

And sadly, now that i've finished it i can say i feel more relieved than accomplished.

Gotta admit, i had a small heart attack when i realised that after i'd finished off the boss, that i wasn't done and had a speedrunning section to go. Bearing in mind that at this point i had no bees and no Laylee.

But yeah, now that i've finished it and subsequently deleted the game from my PS4, i'm just glad to see the back of it. Which as i said, is a feeling a really hate when i've completed a game i used to enjoy.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm just over half way in and I hate it. It almost feels like Team17 took the broken functionality of Hurdle Hijinks from the first game and doubled down on it to create this mess. Music, visuals and design in the outworld is good, but the actual levels themselves and controls are terrible, Laylee floating around erratically every time you get hit just gets tiresome, every platform always feels like you need to be perfect with your jumps, half the enemies seem invincible, pretty much all the movesets from the first game disappeared, and i've had enough of the one hit kill acid/fire levels, hit and miss whether Yooka attaches to climbable objects too (Pumping Plant might just be the most obnoxious level in the whole game).

Every level is essentially the same - one platform after another, except they ALL include some form of hazard on the platform itself, a floating enemy or two blocking your path, then additional hazards like saws, flying enemies or an enemy firing objects at you just to make it doubly frustrating. There's no dynamic difficulty adjustment, the game just freely allows you to skip areas you keep dying on. It's not fun at all, just tedious doing the same thing over and over. Be glad to see the back of it when i'm done.

• Confused 1

An incredibly well-thought out game. I loved how each level had an alternate version that you had to experiment around in the over-world to unlock. Speaking of the over-world, its puzzles were always a nice reprieve between the platforming of the main game. I do like the idea that the more you complete the main chunk of the game, the more ready you are for the finale. Having a full bee army was really necessary for me to finish the impossible lair itself. Yeah, it was hard, but it was so satisfying to beat. I much preferred this to the original Yooka Laylee and I hope playtonic makes more 2D games

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think there's quite too much unfairness to it. In the regular stages, tonics can help alleviate some of that, and it's not too bad most of the time (apart from chapter 20, that one was really rough). The Impossible Lair itself felt like it was a bit too much, even with the four checkpoint. Sure, it's satisfying when you beat it, but it felt like nothing in the main game really prepared me for the challenges in the impossible lair.

• Like 2