Opinions of this game

On 3/5/2020 at 10:42 PM, Rexyfollower0 said:

My personal opinion of MGS4 is that this is the worst game in the series. The story is awful, the character development, Drebin and his monkey, Sunny, Meryl, Johnny, the horrible romance between Johnny and Meryl, nanomachines, and the emblems. The only good thing are a farewell to Snake and Big Boss. I apologize but this is my opinion.

No need to apologize. You're allowed to dislike something, you know, as long as you back that up with valid criticism.

I personally really liked MGS4. Even went out of my way many years ago to platinum it, but then again: I've been a big Metal Gear Solid fan ever since the first one on PS1. MGS4 did have a ton of cutscenes and story, to the detriment of the gameplay portion of the game: the ratio cutscenes/gameplay must've been something along the lines of 60-40. That being said: it's still very engrossing and if I played it again today, I'd still sit through all the cutscenes gladly.

• 3 weeks later...

I could never get past the demo level of MGS1 as a kid and don't believe I played any others between 1 and 4. I remember a lot of reviews were critical of MGS4 before I spotted it in a used game store and decided to take a chance. After my first playthrough of MGS4 in 2009 I was blown away by the story, gameplay, and especially the graphics. I didn't understand what was wrong about the cutscenes, one of the best things about the game for me. They are long, but most video games are. I was more engaged in them than I ever was with most movies.

It has aged amazingly well - almost finished my 2nd playthrough 12 years later. I struggled with the stealth aspect of the game then and must have had 100s of kills the first time. No alerts this time round and just 1 kill on chapter 2 that I cannot explain.

One of the best games of the PS3/360 era imo.

Think I'll watch a walkthrough of the first game and then maybe get the trilogy to better understand the story. I still have MGS5 to play which I have barely started!

Edited by HandsUp1992