I'm thinking of starting this game right after my 100th plat...

Now, we all know that infamous trophy I fear, but to be frank, the only rules to me refusing to play a game is if it doesn't spark my interest and perhaps unobtainable or even outdated online trophies. The latter I'll likely play an alt account. But for me, there's no reason to avoid. I already played the first one so I'm thinking of doing this when I finished my 100th plat run. That way I'd be like "Yeah, I had a good run, but I need to challenge myself."

But in honestly, aside from the tough plat, is this game even worth playing? Like I want to at least...you know...enjoy the game. I'm kind of mixed on the first game. I enjoyed it but I don't know if I want to play the 2nd one or any others in the series (don't get me started on Youngblood). 

Wolfenstein 2 improves on a lot from the first game - higher budget, for starters - but the combat is way harder and honestly pretty unfair. It's more outrageous than the first game and goes out of its way to be as leftist pandering as possible, which I don't mind, but it wasn't handled 100% perfectly IMO. Good story though.

• Like 1

Yes ?

But since you had mixed feelings on TNO, there's a good chance you'll probably feel the same way about this one too since the gameplay doesn't feel too much different imo, maybe aside from being able to stealth more. I, myself, enjoyed TNC more than the first one, even though I loved TNO as well.

Also, the feeling of achieving Mein Leben is really something special. Knowing that you're among the brave few to attempt it, persist and come out with the trophy. It's great ?

• Like 4

I loved The New Order but The New Colossus felt like a step down for me. The biggest issue when I played it initially was the difficulty because even on Normal you could die really quick and it felt like you got punished for running and gunning whereas in The New Order it felt like the game had a good balance between doing stealth and going in guns blazing. Supposedly they patched it since then but I hadn't bothered to really play it since I last did a collectible run some time ago. Otherwise I can't really say I had a memorable experience with the game, especially in regards to the first one.

• Like 2

It's definetely worth it. I played the BJ trilogy a few months ago one after another and i had a blast. People talk trash about New Colossus but it's my favorite in this new Trilogy, mainly because of the challenge that Mein Leben is. Don't let this one pass just because some people don't like, it's a great and fun game, i'm sure you'll enjoy. 

About Mein Leben, if you're going to try, which i recommend, at least to get a feeling of how it is, get ready, you'll die, like, a lot! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redgrave said:

I loved The New Order but The New Colossus felt like a step down for me. The biggest issue when I played it initially was the difficulty because even on Normal you could die really quick and it felt like you got punished for running and gunning whereas in The New Order it felt like the game had a good balance between doing stealth and going in guns blazing. Supposedly they patched it since then but I hadn't bothered to really play it since I last did a collectible run some time ago. Otherwise I can't really say I had a memorable experience with the game, especially in regards to the first one.

I had similar feelings too. I played The New Order without stealth at all (mostly) and had a blast. Whereas The New Colossus had several commanders in a majority of the areas.

• Like 1

I really like the story in all of the games (MachineGames series) the gameplay is quite different from the previous games and most of it it’s basically stealth, but it has he’s humor there and sometimes it make me jiggle a bit, that’s why I love this game so much.

15 hours ago, Draps-1337 said:

I had similar feelings too. I played The New Order without stealth at all (mostly) and had a blast. Whereas The New Colossus had several commanders in a majority of the areas.

Yeah, I felt like they emphasized stealth even though they say you can play one way or the other. I think the other thing was you get that exoskeleton at the beginning of the game and in cutscenes it's bulletproof which I know they couldn't do for gameplay but I think they should have had it where it gives like a big armor buff or something instead of just being able to use it to sprint. However in cutscenes it's also able to let you jump really high up which could have given the combat arenas some more freedom to maneuver. But I guess in doing so it would have made it too similar to Doom 2016 which maybe they wanted to avoid but I feel like it would have been fine.

• Like 1

Wolfenstein TNC was by far the biggest disappointment of 2017, and it came the same year as Mass Effect Andromeda. It was a step down to its predecessor in every regard. The gameplay design isn't nearly as polished, and it shows when there's a commandant in basically every area with enemies to facilitate the grind for the post-game. Difficulty really restricts your playstyle unless you drop it all the way down to the bottom. Story was also a major letdown. TNO made you care about every character, and I went in with high expectations, but by the end I wanted almost every new character in TNC to be killed off.

• Like 1

Okay, so I decide I might tackle this after 100. But what I'm gonna do is do a first play though on I Am Death Incarnate, but repeat a level over and over again until I feel I'm consistent not dying. Then Mein Leben with some IADI runs on each level. Then if I manage to do Mein Leben, I'll play all the easiest difficulty getting any other trophy out of the way. 

BTW, should I also play Old Blood too?

On 05/05/2020 at 11:31 PM, ARH65512 said:

Now, we all know that infamous trophy I fear, but to be frank, the only rules to me refusing to play a game is if it doesn't spark my interest and perhaps unobtainable or even outdated online trophies. The latter I'll likely play an alt account. But for me, there's no reason to avoid. I already played the first one so I'm thinking of doing this when I finished my 100th plat run. That way I'd be like "Yeah, I had a good run, but I need to challenge myself."

But in honestly, aside from the tough plat, is this game even worth playing? Like I want to at least...you know...enjoy the game. I'm kind of mixed on the first game. I enjoyed it but I don't know if I want to play the 2nd one or any others in the series (don't get me started on Youngblood). 

Save your money and stay away from this trash game.  Story is terrible, characters are bad/ underused, gameplay is off, difficulty is absurd.... And then there is Mein Leben trophy as cherry on top. 

Worst game I've ever played. 

Edited by Fr_0zt
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OnlyCass said:

Well you didnt manage to sniff out this game obviously 

Yeah, of 200+ games (all my life) I've only failed at that with a handful, Wolf2 been one of them and the one to hold the poop crown.  Sounds good? Course it does. 

I'm one of those who think Wolfenstein: The Old Blood was great in what it was trying to do. It was minimal in story and presentation, but offered that fast paced, old school FPS gameplay that has mostly been missing in gaming in the past decade. It was a great game and I had a lot of fun with it.

Wolfenstein: The New Order was very good and I enjoyed it from start to finish. There are moments of melodrama (obviously, this is America trying to push back the Nazis), yet the game didn't go too far in trying to be too dramatic. The difficulty was just right, not too easy, not too hard. There was nothing in the trophy list that was too aggravating.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus does a bunch of shit that panders to a certain political agenda. I don't think I really cared about any of the new characters (Hitler doesn't count). That African American woman could of died in a fire for all I care. The relationship between BJ and his father was abusive, because you get flashback cutscenes when he tortured his young son. At times it makes you feel like you're not so much playing a game as you are playing a situation that could of happened had the German Nazis succeeded in World War II. I generally find alternate history in video games to be fascinating, but here they just force fed it to you. The story shifts from having some light comedy to being dead serious, and going somewhere inbetween. There is no consistency in the story. I also didn't find Venus to be quite as fun as going to the moon in Wolfenstein: The New Order. Combat is a lot more difficult, you play as a crippled BJ for a good portion fo the game which means your health can only go to 50 normally. Of course, you can overcharge your health, but that is only temporary. I would much prefer to have 100 actual health than to have to overcharge it. Trophies are a crapshoot. They're more skill intensive than they were in the previous reboot Wolfenstein games. Not counting Mein Leben, there is shit like collecting a bunch of helmets which makes absolutely no fucking sense, and there's a couple other trophies that are pretty annoying to get. They made the game a bit too difficult and made the characters a lot less likable. In the end I cared about Max more than I cared for any new character, even if Max was a mentally retarded human being.

From what I've heard about Wolfenstein: Youngblood, I'm not sure what MachineGames were intending. They had a good thing going with The New Order and The Old Blood, but they went down the wrong path starting with The New Colossus. Here's to hoping the third Wolfenstein game starring BJ will help put things back on the right track, because I don't want another potentially great gaming franchise to go down in flames.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, CrimsonMercury said:

Gonna start this game soon..but is it recommended to play the previous two games first to understand what's going on, or can I enjoy this game by itself without any prior knowledge of the series?

The game is a sequel so you’ll miss some part of the story. But at the start of The New Colossus the game shows through some flashbacks what happened in The New Order so it’s not necessary. I would recommend to play TNO first if you care about the story. But to be honest, who plays these games for the story anyway?

To the OP: I really like Wolfenstein 2. I think it’s better than TNO and it’s my favorite offline FPS. 

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 1

I very much enjoyed TNO it was a breath of fresh air and the setting/gameplay was equally fun. I also highly recommend TOB if you haven't played it I would even say it is superior to all other modern Wolfs on a smaller level.

TNC was, in my completely honest opinion, absolute trash. The gameplay felt off, the story was absolute bullshit, that whole magic feeling TNO/TOB gave was nowhere to be found. I just dropped it 30% in without even caring about the trophies. Then Youngblood came out as a cherry on top - so I can say MG Wolfensteins are dead to me.

Try TOB I think you'll love it, and if you absolutely-positively-100% have nothing else to play and curiosity gets the better of you then go for TNC.

F**k me just writing this brought back the feeling of how disappointed I was with TNC/YB....

• Like 2