Great Game, Awful Trophies

arcanehornet_

I used to adore this game a few years ago, and I recently found out it had a ps4 release. When I checked the trophy list however,I was horrified. This looks like a horrible, grindy mess. Barely any story related trophies, and the rest is just “do repetetive task x dozens of times.”

It’s really a shame, this game deserved a better list.

• Like 1

It's really not that bad. The only real grind worth mentioning is the money grind so you can buy all the clothes but you can just mow lawns for it and I don't even think it took that long.

• Like 1

I got the Plat on this a few weeks ago and it wasn’t too bad. Riding x miles on a skateboard was the only one I had to grind out a bit, and all I had to do was grab onto the back of a car and idle the controller for around an hour to get it. The rest took next to no time or unlocked naturally. Quite an easy Plat, and a nice walk down memory lane!

Edited by OTPYG
  • Like 3

On 5/6/2020 at 6:37 PM, Gotakibono said:

Got to say I don't share your opinion, especially when I consider the trophy lists of Rockstar's other PS2-era classics:

The Warriors: Not even a platinum and 13 measly and lazy trophies for what is arguably the best movie tie-in game of all time.

GTA III: Excellent, balanced and fair list.

Vice City: Perfect aside from the absolutely insane Take the Cannoli trophy, which is nigh-on impossible to get outside of the Sea Sparrow grind.

San Andreas: Decent list but I found the lack of a 100% completion trophy a bit weird. Maybe Rockstar didn't want to remind people just how much content and side missions San Andreas (a game from 2004) had compared to later GTA games...

Max Payne: Again, no platinum for one of the most iconic third-person shooters ever.

Red Dead Revolver: Fairly shite game to be fair, but it deserves a platinum at least.

Manhunt: Probably the most well-rounded and fair list of Rockstar's PS2 titles.

Bully: Most of the trophies come naturally if you're the type to mix it up in combat or simply fuck around as you navigate the world. The only trophies that are a bit of a pain are buying 250 clothes, performing 200 wheelies, kicking 100 soccer balls and breaking 300 glasses at the shooting gallery. But in saying that, once you make the decision to go for them they are straightforward and don't take too long to obtain.

I love Bully, in fact I just made a retrospective video about it on YouTube. But compared to other games from Rockstar's PS2 era I feel like it got at least a bit of effort put into it, unlike a few I mentioned above.

The PS2 generation was the peak for Rockstar Games. I would say everything I appreciated about this company came out of that era.

I know some people will say me 'stuck in the past' or whatever, but I really feel Rockstar lost it's way after Grand Theft Auto V. They made Red Dead Redemption 2, which is a solid game in it's own right, but there's literally nothing else. Rockstar continues to milk GTA Online despite the game itself being seven years old that is gradually dying. I was really hoping they would make a solid new IP for this generation, but having a touched up better version of a game from last gen and spending a huge budget on Red Dead Redemption 2 really wasn't what I was wanting to see out of them.

Bully was great. Loved it back on the PS2, played it again last year for the trophies, while a couple trophies annoyed me, I overall enjoyed it.

I love the cheesy dialogue, the quirky characters, the sometimes bad voice acting, just the theme of the games. The Warriors is one of my favorite cult like movies to come out of the 1970s, I played the game back in the day on the PS2 and they kept a lot of the authenticity that made the movie great. 

Rockstar, like every AAA gaming company now, has put an emphasis on realism. Something I really don't like with modern gaming. The PS2 generation games still reminded you that they were video games, and they were a lot of fun.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 7.5.2020 at 4:37 AM, Gotakibono said:

Got to say I don't share your opinion, especially when I consider the trophy lists of Rockstar's other PS2-era classics:

The Warriors: Not even a platinum and 13 measly and lazy trophies for what is arguably the best movie tie-in game of all time.

GTA III: Excellent, balanced and fair list.

Vice City: Perfect aside from the absolutely insane Take the Cannoli trophy, which is nigh-on impossible to get outside of the Sea Sparrow grind.

San Andreas: Decent list but I found the lack of a 100% completion trophy a bit weird. Maybe Rockstar didn't want to remind people just how much content and side missions San Andreas (a game from 2004) had compared to later GTA games...

Max Payne: Again, no platinum for one of the most iconic third-person shooters ever.

Red Dead Revolver: Fairly shite game to be fair, but it deserves a platinum at least.

Manhunt: Probably the most well-rounded and fair list of Rockstar's PS2 titles.

Bully: Most of the trophies come naturally if you're the type to mix it up in combat or simply fuck around as you navigate the world. The only trophies that are a bit of a pain are buying 250 clothes, performing 200 wheelies, kicking 100 soccer balls and breaking 300 glasses at the shooting gallery. But in saying that, once you make the decision to go for them they are straightforward and don't take too long to obtain.

I love Bully, in fact I just made a retrospective video about it on YouTube. But compared to other games from Rockstar's PS2 era I feel like it got at least a bit of effort put into it, unlike a few I mentioned above.

Max Payne wasn't made by Rockstar, it was Remedy

5 minutes ago, Barbeqmeister said:

Max Payne wasn't made by Rockstar, it was Remedy

Published by rockstar though, without having to Google that I was definitely under the impression it was developed by rockstar, I guess you learn something new everyday. As for the op, play the game. You don't even need 100% in game completion, you needed that on the 360 for 1000G.

It’s been a few years since I went back and got the platinum, but I don’t recall it being that grindy. As others have mentioned, the skateboard distance is the only one that stuck out for me that I had to spend any extra time on.

I completed the game for 360, the 100% was abit of a pain finding those last few rubber bands. So were a few of the arcade games. Otherwise, none of them were too much grind. I forgot until I looked at it that Rockstar swapped out two things as well. In the PS4 version, you have to fully upgrade your room. While in the 360, there was the Rainbow achievement. Even though it was not that long ago, it still surprised me that Rockstar gave you the option to have a same sex relationship. Not in a bad way, it didn't upset me just surprised they give you the option if you prefer. Since this month is Pride month, it is worth noting that Bully may have been one of the first to give the option. It helped lay the groundwork to be open for other ways of life and not just the typical ones. 

• 10 months later...

The trophy list is extremely mundane and they could have added some story related stuff but not a really bad list. When I played this before the only thing I had to really grind for was the 'Tour de Bullworth' trophy, but that was mainly because the skateboard was so much easier to use, plus you had it stuffed down your pants ha, so I never really bothered with a bike. The best part of this game is the music though. I absolutely love it!

• 4 months later...