Tips for resource farming/gathering

OTPYG

Hi guys,

Thought I’d share a few tips that make gathering resources much easier and efficient. It will also help you come across parts that are quite uncommon more regularly, eg after exploring over a dozen islands & shipwrecks and only coming across one specific part, after utilising the following I came across two additional parts on the same island.

Please note: To err on the side of caution do not utilise the below until you have unlocked the trophies Another one bites the dust and A little less lonely. It’s not known yet whether the below removes the items attached to these trophies from the game or not. I’ll touch more on this later. 

Tip #1: On the Main Menu is a section called Cartographer. Select this and it brings you to a new menu with three options; World Editor, Random World and New Island. World Editor is your current map, there are 5 squares in red that can’t be edited for story related purposes, but the other 20 white squares can be manipulated. This is where New Island comes in. Here you can custom create an island and choose what resources you want on it; what type of animals, plants, shipwrecks etc (The more shipwrecks, the better the chances of finding uncommon parts). Once you have created your desired island, go back to World Editor and insert this new island into one of the white squares. You can do this before starting a new game or even if you are midway through the campaign; I added two new islands to my 20+ hour save file and it caused no issues whatsoever to my progression. Now simply load up your game, sail to your new custom island and plunder to your hearts content!

This tip is also the reason you should wait until you have unlocked the earlier mentioned trophies. Due to the fact you are replacing already existing islands, if you were to replace one that has the items for said trophies on it, it isn’t known yet if those items repopulate to a new island or disappear completely. So please hold off on the custom islands until you have unlocked those trophies!

Tip #2: The contents of a crate/locker etc are completely random. If you are searching for a specific item, save the game before raiding a shipwreck. If you don’t come across the items you were hoping for, reload your save and the contents of the areas you just searched will have been randomised again. I did this when trying to find multiple fuel containers. 

Tip #3: This might be obvious, but the wooden crates you come across while scavenging are very useful. Your standard carrying inventory (not including items on your tool belt) is 9 items. You can put 3 items in each wooden crate. So if you have a wooden crate in each inventory slot, you can theoretically carry 27 items, tripling your inventory space. And items stack, if you have 4 coconuts they will only take up 1 of those 3 crate slots. So keep those wooden crates!!

Good luck and enjoy!!

Edited by OTPYG
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Jayne-1991 said:

I replaced an island when there was a survivor on it and when I removed the island, the survivor camp appeared back so I now have both trophies. 

Awesome, glad to hear that’s an option in case someone decides to do the custom islands early.