Why is this game so hated?

I enjoyed it. The debate is what you mentioned: more action, over the top, confusing story with many characters vs single player, survival horror, item management. The former fitting later games in the series (RE5 & 6) and the latter being (RE1, 2, and 7).  Some say RE4 was the best game in the series and was one that led to the shift to more action and 7 coming back to its survival horror roots. We can go on all day and discuss, but RE6 wasn't too bad imo.

• Like 4

Oonga Boonga, they made the series action

Hurr durr the game is not scary.

I agree with you entirely, this game is awesome and I've played it way too many times. I WOULD have preffered something more horror oriented like REmake 2 but just because it's now what I wanted doesn't automatically make it a bad game.

The one thing I don't like is too many QTE, the game has them EVERYWHERE.

I do find RE4 boring at times too, specially the entire castle section which is like 40% of the game 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MrTrofyHunter said:

I enjoyed it. The debate is what you mentioned: more action, over the top, confusing story with many characters vs single player, survival horror, item management. The former fitting later games in the series (RE5 & 6) and the latter being (RE1, 2, and 7).  Some say RE4 was the best game in the series and was one that led to the shift to more action and 7 coming back to its survival horror roots. We can go on all day and discuss, but RE6 wasn't too bad imo.

Yup. RE4 wasn't a horror game either but people still say it's a goddamn masterpiece, and that confuses me and makes me think they hate RE6 only for the sake of hating it. 

I can't say anything about the story because I still have to finish it, but overall I don't have any complaints. Just small details like "why didn't Jake and Sherry's hair grow in those 6 months?" Or "why are the Leon and Helena immune to zombie bite?"

20 minutes ago, Zippyhammer said:

Oonga Boonga, they made the series action

Hurr durr the game is not scary.

LMAO it do be like that sometimes

24 minutes ago, Zippyhammer said:

The one thing I don't like is too many QTE, the game has them EVERYWHERE.

True tho. Not really a fan of QTE, specially when you think you are in a cutscene but it was actually a 0.2 sec QTE and you die and get low ranks because of stupid QTE (looking at you bayonetta)

I remember finding it be quite generic and dull. It totally lacked any atmosphere and immersion. I’ll admit, I’m one of those who prefers the original trilogy over the other instalments, but I enjoyed RE5 so it isn’t because it’s action over horror. I don’t know, it’s been years since I played it so can’t give specifics but I remember not feeling motivated to go back and play it again, a first for any game in the series.

Edited by OTPYG
  • Like 3

To me, Resident Evil 6 has a huge identity problem. It tries to be an action game at times, then a horror game, even a puzzle game in certain moments, but ultimately fails to be good in any of those things for the most part. Leon's campaign is perhaps the best one; Ada's is maybe the second best, but that doesn't say much. Chris' campaign is every god-awful generic third-person shooter that's come out in the past decade; Jake's campaign has its moments, but the protagonist is just a lazy excuse to shoehorn Wesker into the game in some way after Capcom regretted killing him off.

The story is bland, the new characters are boring and uninteresting, Derek Simmons is a lame villain. Plus the fact RE6 was released in the same year as RE: Operation Raccoon City didn't help; many people thought RE6 was the nail in the coffin of a dead franchise at the time.

But I will say this: it's still a fun game. Perhaps even a decent one; I don't think it's the worst game ever made, although it's also not a good game. Playing co-op with a friend helps to mitigate much of the annoyance. If anything, you can laugh at the game's absurd moments together.

Edited by AFRising
  • Like 1

Actually this game is so  boring and pointless. I tryed to play this game 3 or 4 times, but I couldnt play this piece of trash more then 20 minutes. The same goes for re5. RE4 is great, and its pretty scary in some places. But I dont like re5 and re6 not because they action/shooter games, but because they are boring and gameplay is far from good. Thanks god Capcom  revived series with re7 and two remakes. 

• Like 2

It would have been better if it was not called resident evil. They probably just slapped the name on some generic action game they were making in hopes of making more money. There is nothing scary at all about this game. It's just straight action. I mean the fact that you could actually do a running powerbomb like a wwe superstar to the zombies is a bit ridiculous! I remember the first time I was playing that game with a friend online. Just seeing that made us both loose it. I remember being like WTF lol.... I couldn't believe you could do that in a resident evil game. Survival horror all the way to Wrestlemania. It still cracks me up when think about it. The game is just OK though.. It's nothing great but it's playable. Definitely more fun with a friend. lol

Resident Evil 6 is not particularly a good Resident Evil game but it's still a great game. I love it and got the Platinum twice.

A lot of people are just bitter it doesn't control or feel like RE4 and RE5. I love all three!

I think the story is a bit crazy and it has way too many QTE and stupid bits like when you are running away from a tank, but it is a competent well made game. Also RE6 Mercenary mode if the best Mercenary mode in any Resident Evil game. Way better than any extra modes Resident Evil Revelations came out with.

Also, it can't be that bad though, if many people on PS3 hated it, they wouldn't rebuy it on PS4. More people went back for the PS4 rerelease than they did RE5

72,553  game owners

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5223-resident-evil-4

89,781 game owners

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4850-resident-evil-5

91,898 game owners

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4389-resident-evil-6

DLC in RE6 is awful though compared to RE5. I like the one like is like Mercenaries but you sent enemies over to your opponents map. That one is cool though.

11 minutes ago, SuchRemorse said:

It would have been better if it was not called resident evil. They probably just slapped the name on some generic action game they were making in hopes of making more money. There is nothing scary at all about this game. It's just straight action. I mean the fact that you could actually do a running powerbomb like a wwe superstar to the zombies is a bit ridiculous! I remember the first time I was playing that game with a friend online. Just seeing that made us both loose it. I remember being like WTF lol.... I couldn't believe you could do that in a resident evil game. Survival horror all the way to Wrestlemania. It still cracks me up when think about it. The game is just OK though.. It's nothing great but it's playable. Definitely more fun with a friend. lol

Come on, you could suplex a guy down some stairs smashing heads open in RE4, other characters also had QTE attack on the floor crazy stuff in RE5.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Also, it can't be that bad though, if many people on PS3 hated it, they wouldn't rebuy it on PS4.

This is totally untrue. I have seen people re buy and play the WORST games ever! Just so they can have platinum stacks. Some People would play with a big hot steaming pile of dump if it means getting a platinum trophy. :D 

Edited by SuchRemorse
Spelling error
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, SuchRemorse said:

This is totally untrue. I have seen people buy and play the WORST games ever! Just so they can have platinum stacks. Some People would play with a big hot steaming pile of dump if it means getting a platinum trophy. :D 

Resident Evil 6 is pretty long as well, having 4 story modes to play with, along with lots of collectibles. Not exactly a quick or easy platinum.

For me I bought both RE5 and RE6 because I hadn't played them for a while but they feel so good in 60fps compared to the 30fps of the PS3 versions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

Also, it can't be that bad though, if many people on PS3 hated it, they wouldn't rebuy it on PS4. More people went back for the PS4 rerelease than they did RE5

You can't assume people are rebuying RE6 vs buying it for the first time, as the gap was only ~3.5 years from the PS3 to PS4 release, compared to RE5's 7 years. RE5 was the highest selling game overall, and RE4 sold the most before that. RE6 started the decline of sales and for subsequent games.

Ownership numbers on this site aren't exactly the best measure, and it's not really a fair contest.  RE4 was re-released seven times as of the PS4's release, and doesn't have a platinum trophy, so considering that, it's holding its own to RE6. RE5 was re-released three times as of the PS4 release. 

The trophy completion rate on RE6's PS3 / PS4 lists are much much lower, so people aren't working as hard to finish it either. 

Edit: 

2 hours ago, JiII-Valentine-- said:

People who say otherwise are nothing but haters.

Yes, we do hate it !!! :)

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, B1rvine said:

I'd disagree with you that RE4 isn't a horror game, plenty of moments I just didn't want to move forward, especially hearing chainsaws or other ghastly unknown sounds, and it still has some strategy elements

For me, hearing a chainsaw means more free money. The enemies move slower than me so there's no real danger. Just run away and shot them from afar. Also the final boss was real lame. I played it once and then deleted it. It's a decent game but I was pretty much disappointed.

Nobody wanted coop mode

Nobody wanted it, but it's way more fun when you play it with a friend

There were a ton of forgettable characters and their motivations were unrealistic and laughable

Leon's motivation was stopping Simmons and clear his name (and Helena's)

Helena's motivation was her dead sister and the fact that she (unwillingly) helped Simmons to kill thousands of people and the president. 

Jake's motivation was money. Which makes perfect sense since he's a mercenary.

Sherry's motivation was being like Claire and Leon and trying to save the world.

Cannot say anything about Chris, Piers and Ada. As I said I still don't touch their campaigns. But so far, motivations at least make sense.

7 hours ago, SuchRemorse said:

It would have been better if it was not called resident evil

I think that's the main root of the problem, I agree. People expect horror from a game called resident evil. They should've stopped expecting that since RE4. If RE6 was sold as an action game and not a horror game, the game probably would've been less hated.

Played it recently with a friend and the story was all over and ends were not satisfying.
Like Jake and Sherry's was a the fuck.

Spoiler

Like going up the elevator thing super fast with firey explosion behind them and suddenly dark cut to Sherry on a plane and Jack on a bike, the fuck?

With Leon and Helena, China is just fucked but their ending was like "It is all good, lets not explain what happened to China after." Obviously probably nuked like Raccoon city.

We went in with a fresh mind and finished Jake and Sherry's feeling unsatisfied and can't even be bothered to finish Adas 

The game felt like it couldn't decided what it wanted to be and felt all over.

Some dialogue was funnily bad but that is just RE at times. Soldier getting obviously eaten and closes the door to stay behind, another Soldier to him. "Okay, good luck."

So many chase scenes with bad cameras. We ran into glitches at times which killed us.

If I weren't playing it with someone, I would have gotten way more annoyed, so co-op redeemed it to an extent.

This fucker. It grabs you and your health drains so fast that it pretty much is an instakill.

Gnezdo | Resident Evil Wiki | Fandom

Obviously people can love the game but me and my friend really did not in the end.

I liked it, but I'm guessing a lot of the hate was the vastly different turn it was from RE5. RE5 seemed like an upgrade in a way to RE4. But RE6, as someone else in this thread has stated, lost its identity. It also didn't help that they tried to mix all these different genres into one game instead of focusing and going all out on one. 4 campaigns sound good on paper, but sucks when they are all half-assed and lead no where. Mercenaries in my opinion was the best in RE6 though.

The only thing I truly hated out of RE6 was the whole cringy Carla clone story-line and just made a somewhat decent villain into someone who got rejected on a date. But to be honest Resident Evil's story telling has never been great, it's all about the files.

But yeah, if you have a friend and want to lay back and shoot zombies I would recommend RE6.

Having just completed all the campaigns a second time (first time since 2012), in my view it isn't a terrible game but it's certainly not a great one either. I agree with pretty much all the criticisms posted here, though I did like the greater mobility of the characters in combat. I'm glad the series seems to be on the right track now.

I wasn't crazy about it and it had nothing to do with the fact that it was action. It was the fact that the core gameplay felt substantially worse than 4 and 5's. In 4 and 5 the gameplay was at least tight and methodical. 6 didn't feel like that to me.

I can handle stories or graphics or any other number of things getting worse as a series goes on. But the core gameplay has to get better, or at the very least stay the same. Not get worse.

This is obviously just my opinion. I'm sure some people loved the gameplay. I just wasn't one of them.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with Resident Evil 6 was having Chris Redfield in that game. At the time, fans wanted Chris and Leon to meet and as a result we ended up with this game instead. If they erased Chris, Piers, Helena and Jake and had the game focus more on characters like Leon, Ada and Sherry it would have been a far better game. The problem with Capcom is that they are too afraid to kill off main characters. Instead of having Carla Radames as the villain, they should have made Ada Wong the main villain for that game and have Leon take her out. Then the story could have revolved around Leon's decision on whether or not he should carry out his mission, which could have provided multiple endings like what they used to do in the first three games. What ever happened to that?