Why is this game so hated?

On 5/11/2020 at 8:47 AM, Juzota said:

Yet people love RE4.

Just now happened on this tread because someone added a new post. I absolutely loved the original RE games and I finally after all these years got around to RE 4 and I have to say I have no desire to play 5 or 6 simply because I did not enjoy 4 in the least bit. All the praise that is given to 4 is lost on me and I can’t figure out why people love it so much. But to each their own. 

Edited by Amphiprion11513

On 07/05/2020 at 5:59 AM, nombre_en_uso867 said:

Unpopular opinion: the game is great and not as bad as people make it out to be

We all agree that this is more of an action game rather than a horror game. Yeah ok... And?

I'm having a good time playing it and I fucking love when games tell the story from different points of view. I still have to play Chris and Ada's campaign but I enjoyed this more than RE4, which felt really long and boring in some sections.

So why? It occurs to me that the change from horror to action triggered the nostalfags so the only people who hate the game are die-hard RE fans, but idk

Who says the only people who hate the game are 'die-hard RE fans'? Where is your source?

Casting your poor choice of homophobic slang aside - RE6 is a good action game but a shit Resident Evil game on multiple levels. It's overwhelmingly cool that you enjoyed it. Like, i'm overjoyed that it floats your boat so hard but your post is all related to feeling with no data to back it up. So you've effectively said you think it's great and anyone who thinks otherwise are "nostalgiafags" who are "die-hard RE fans".

I always thought it was due to the disjointed storyline and overabundance of action pieces. If they had just focused on the Leon and Chris storyline and had them meet up and temporarily partnering up for one or two chapters. It would have been great, however, they introduced Jake the Superhuman and Sherry the Plot Armor, and it didn't feel like it was taking itself seriously. The Leon/Claire storyline worked in RE2 due to being both a complete storyline, rather than chopped up pieces that rely on other character storylines to make full sense.

Cause the game is cheesy as hell. RE was never Oscar material in terms of writing but this one is beyond stupid with the dumbest dialoges and the most cliché-ridden characters in any game. On top of that the action scenes were more ridiculous than the ones in Fast and the Furious e.g.

Not gonna lie, I had fun with the game but only because a friend and I played it in Co-op and we were laughing our asses off. It's just a trash fest like Sharknado or other types of media alike. I bet many players, including me, just did not expect that.

Let me see...

Cardboard backgrounds, slugfest of a gameplay (repetition, stamina, enemies that waste your time on QTEs), removed co-op mechanics from RE5 (managing resources, sharing ammo and items, combos), chapters are too long and unbearably boring (even in co-op), characters are crap with little to no chemistry with each other (aside from Jake and Sherry), both story itself and its delivery is pretentious crap as well. And that's just from the top of my head. I'd add more I'm sure, but since I'm actively trying to forget this atrocious PoS, some of its remarkable aspects tend to slip from me at this point. Never touched the DLC BTW, since it wasn't even a question that I shouldn't spend neither money, nor time on RE6 beyond the platinum grind.

While I somewhat prefer RE being a slower-paced horror-puzzle type of game within detail-rich enclosed environment like its initial entries I don't exactly mind it going sideways (for example I kinda appreciated Gun Survivor for what it was and surprisingly enjoyed both Chronicles games). Not a fan of RE4 though (great action game for its time but I disliked it storywise so it was 1 and done in my case), I enjoyed RE5 a lot (due to co-op being a blast, so I wouldn't mind a disappointing resolution of Wesker's saga a whole lot), and laughed my ass off on how bad ORC was (but hilarious at the same time with like-minded friends who have no issues of mocking its process and each other into oblivion) but, honestly, I hated, hated... HATED RE6 (not that I wanted to, mind you, but it was just bad all around).

Edited by VegaMan-X4

I honestly enjoyed the original game's B tier horror, cheesy one liners and overall problem solving.
Couldn't care less if the series goes action oriented, as long as I can still roll my eyes at bad puns and laugh at obviously bad horror tropes. 

The more the series tries to take itself seriously, the less enjoyable it becomes overall.

Edited by VigilantCrow

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Gotta be honest I thought it was pretty awful, but there are far worse games around.

Leon and Jake's campaigns aren't terrible but Chris and Ada's campaigns are horrendous.

I agree that RE4 was a good game, but its success really resulted in 5 and 6 being complete misfires (6 more so, I could deal with 5) because they completely misread why people though RE4 was so great.

On RE6, My main pain points:

1. Recycled bosses. Over and over and over again the same "boss" in each campaign;

2. Stupid plot holes and ideas. Like Why the hell are there crusader/knight corpses in the US located near a university?? I get really annoyed by bad stories and it can really ruin an otherwise good game for me; 

3. It was way too over the top like a Michael Bay film with him given full artistic license;

4. The pill system was crap;

5. The campaign felt too long taking into account all 4 story arcs.

It felt like "hey do you want this in the game?"

Developer: "Yes"

Its all depend on how old are you and whether you you played from day one on ps one

if you are between 13 to 20 you will like it and enjoy it because at this age people like action packed games

If you are 30+ you will feel bad about being a huge shift in term of horror survival

Do you guys think Capcom will remake RE 5 & 6 eventually to make them more congruous with the other games or will the remake train stop at 4? I guess remake development is mainly driven by what companies think people have nostalgia for. 

Edited by bikeman223

1 and 2 - What Resident Evil fans love about Resident Evil.

4 - What Resident Evil fans love about Residemt Evil, and more!
5 - They took the “and more” aspect of 4, at the cost of a good chunk of Resident Evil fans love.

6 - Double downed on the more and now, the thing Residemt Evil fans love is pretty much gone. Every aspect of the game, is already done better in other games. The result is that this is a game for no one.

7 - See 1 and 2

8 - See 4. For some fans, it’s simply not effective as 4 because it’s not revolutionary. It’s still great, though. 

The Legend of Zelda series follows the same pattern. 

• 1 month later...

Truth be told, while 6 is one of my least favorite RE games, I actually like it MILES better than 4. 4 is actually my least favorite and while it may have started the 3p perspective we all know and love today, 5 is actually my favorite - it has the best blend of action & horror, it does everything 4 did only better and it just feels more cohesive than 4 or 6.

• 1 month later...

This was a long and annoying game. The only thing that was great was using the Jake trick to gather up points and buy stuff quicker to help with the Professional playthrough.

Although the game was long and annoying it doesn't make it a bad game -- this was just my personal experience when comparing against RE4 & RE5.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Finished this last week, never bothered with it because of all the hate it got.. Wish i didn't listen. 4 campaigns! Quality audio and very good graphics, i didn't have a single issue not even a little glitch. Also still loads playing online every day. For me one of the best PS3 games I've played, and I've played a lot! 

Edited by GUDGER666
  • Like 1

Because it’s dull.

Resident Evil has had it’s ups and downs, and it’s dipped it’s toes in different genres and different story types, and different leves of action, or stealth, or survival - all of which means there are big differences in what people find fun, and in which ones are people’s personal favourites-…

…but the one thing RE never was, (at least in it’s mainline entries,) was just flat-out boring… and that’s what they stumbled into with RE6.

Couple the fact that it is dull, with it also being one of the longest RE games, and having so many storylines, none of which have any real connection to the characters or life to them, and it’s a recipe for disaster.

Plus, it realised the worst fears of those fans who didn’t love RE5’s ‘no-scares-all-action’ style, but were willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, and had hoped it was a one off.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

This is one game I regret starting. It's already been covered why really well by everyone else in this thread. It's just not fun to play at all.

Still can't believe I can't get into this one. It's not like I haven't tried numerous times to try to earn just a few more trophies in it.