Are you still buying "The Last of Us: Part II"?

Carol

"The Last of Us: Part II" - still buying or not?  

787 members have voted

1. 1. After the leaks, do you still plan to buy "The Last of Us: Part II"?

• Yes, I'll be playing it day one. I want to play and judge the game for myself.
    • Yes, but I'll buy it only when I can find it cheaper.
    • No, but I was never interested in this game.
    • No, the leaks completely destroyed any enthusiasm I had for the game.
    • I still haven't decided if will buy the game or not or when I will do it.

Yes, I will be purchasing The Last of Us: Part II on launch day next month. So far, I have been fortunate enough to have avoided pretty much all of the spoilers/leaks that came out the other week. Looking forward to seeing how the second installment of The Last of Us turns out, all these years later.

Sigh...I really need to get around to finishing the first game. I put about twelve hours into it in the two weeks after the remastered version arrived on the PS4, but for some reason I put the game down and to this day, I have yet to go back to play it again. Personally, it was a mixture of investing time into other games at that time and perhaps a slight loss of overall interest in the game. I traded in my old copy of the game roughly a year ago, so I'll have to pick up a copy of it on the cheap around the end of the month.

Edited by MossyOakRcn42
  • Like 1

i'm a stoic. so a no-one opinion on a random site wont and will never affect my action. if some-one gets it or wont. who the fuck cares. do it, shut up and carry on. il get it. still need to play the first.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

See, here's the problem: 4chan and 4chan-adjacent people on the internet are not TLoU's demographic. There's outrage on the internet, yes. But it comes from a very select, very small minority. Just because there's a lot of outcry doesn't mean that that outcry is indicative of the general audience's opinions on things. Especially when you have review bombing and hate circlejerking... the internet becomes a very unreliable place to collect information on your demographics. The fact is, most people don't come to this site. Most people don't go to 4chan / reddit. Most people are gonna see The Last of Us 2's trailers and be like, oh! A sequel to that one really good game I liked on the PS3. I'm going to buy that. They'll be completely unaffected by that angry minority's opinions.

For example: Fallout 4. People hated it online. They couldn't shut up about how terrible it was that they had a dialogue wheel, how Bethesda had ruined Fallout, et cetera. But it had rave reviews and was an absolute hit. Because in the end, elitists on the internet... don't matter.

Reddit is one of the most popular websites out there. You cannot say most people don't go to Reddit. What you should be saying is most people don't make a mountain out of a molehill on Reddit as the vocal minority do.

4Chan is a group of sadistic, one dimensional minded people who will blow everything out of proportion. That website lost it's reputation long ago.

As for The Last of Us Part II, what do all those dislikes on YouTube tell you? I can probably say that at least some of those dislikes are people who will not be buying the game, as opposed to the many who will buy the game.

For everyone like myself and you who talks of these things, there is at least a hundred or more people who never say anything, yet already made up their mind on buying the game, or not buying it. There are many people out there who agree with all the morons still jumping on Neil, who won't buy The Last of Us Part II, but will never make a single comment or forum post. That's just how it is.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

See, here's the problem: 4chan and 4chan-adjacent people on the internet are not TLoU's demographic. There's outrage on the internet, yes. But it comes from a very select, very small minority. Just because there's a lot of outcry doesn't mean that that outcry is indicative of the general audience's opinions on things. Especially when you have review bombing and hate circlejerking... the internet becomes a very unreliable place to collect information on your demographics. The fact is, most people don't come to this site. Most people don't go to 4chan / reddit. Most people are gonna see The Last of Us 2's trailers and be like, oh! A sequel to that one really good game I liked on the PS3. I'm going to buy that. They'll be completely unaffected by that angry minority's opinions.

For example: Fallout 4. People hated it online. They couldn't shut up about how terrible it was that they had a dialogue wheel, how Bethesda had ruined Fallout, et cetera. But it had rave reviews and was an absolute hit. Because in the end, elitists on the internet... don't matter.

I agree to everything you said here.  BUT...if the game does not reach their sales expectations (especially in a sensational fashion i.e. Han Solo: A Star Wars Story), then would you concede that as much as the internet has loud vocal minorities from many groups...that the masses of NaughtyDog’s fan base echoes those same sentiments of displeasure with the story because of obvious deviations?  Which would mean this narrative direction was counter-productive to their bottom line and was a bad move for business...would you concede that?  ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Reddit is one of the most popular websites out there. You cannot say most people don't go to Reddit. What you should be saying is most people don't make a mountain out of a molehill on Reddit as the vocal minority do.

4Chan is a group of sadistic, one dimensional minded people who will blow everything out of proportion. That website lost it's reputation long ago.

As for The Last of Us Part II, what do all those dislikes on YouTube tell you? I can probably say that at least some of those dislikes are people who will not be buying the game, as opposed to the many who will buy the game.

For everyone like myself and you who talks of these things, there is at least a hundred or more people who never say anything, yet already made up their mind on buying the game, or not buying it. There are many people out there who agree with all the morons still jumping on Neil, who won't buy The Last of Us Part II, but will never make a single comment or forum post. That's just how it is.

It's one of the most popular, but it's still not *that* popular. It's popular among tech-savvy types, sure. But most people don't go to gaming subs, or at least don't participate in them regularly. I'd say more popular for the least common denominator are twitter, facebook, etc. But yes, I have no doubt that the people disliking the Youtube video won't buy the game, but it's also less than 100k people, and that could easily be a result of internet outrage.

4chan is quite that. And certain parts of Reddit are similar to 4chan in terms of quality.

And yeah, that's my point - most people don't really care about all this, I don't think. 

5 minutes ago, Starcade_Legend said:

I agree to everything you said here.  BUT...if the game does not reach their sales expectations (especially in a sensational fashion i.e. Han Solo: A Star Wars Story), then would you concede that as much as the internet has loud vocal minorities from many groups...that the masses of NaughtyDog’s fan base echoes those same sentiments of displeasure with the story because of obvious deviations?  Which would mean this narrative direction was counter-productive to their bottom line and was a bad move for business...would you concede that?  ?

I mean, it could, but this sort of outrage also functions as free popularity, and LGBT people, feminists, etc are more likely to view the game as bold for taking risks. I'm sure a lot of people will dislike said twists and turns, but they also help drive the stories towards perceived greatness and earn points with people because of how brave they are. Look at companies like Ubisoft - you can only appeal to what people already like for so long before you just end up boring. You have to push the envelope, always, and sometimes that means taking risks.

That being said, we can only tell how it will sell. If it gets rave reviews (at least 85+) it'll sell like hotcakes. If the reviewers pan it, it'll likely have issues.

2 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

It's one of the most popular, but it's still not *that* popular. It's popular among tech-savvy types, sure. But most people don't go to gaming subs, or at least don't participate in them regularly. I'd say more popular for the least common denominator are twitter, facebook, etc. But yes, I have no doubt that the people disliking the Youtube video won't buy the game, but it's also less than 100k people, and that could easily be a result of internet outrage.

It's easily in the top 10 - 20 in the world in most visited websites. That's far and beyond just being popular among tech-savvy types.

Twitter and Facebook were both niche too at one time, just like Reddit was when it started out. Then they became overwhelmingly popular. The thing is now, those websites are dying a slow death.

There are more people who didn't watch the YouTube video, but as with anything, there is going to be internet outrage. That's the world we live in anymore.

5 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Look at companies like Ubisoft - you can only appeal to what people already like for so long before you just end up boring. You have to push the envelope, always, and sometimes that means taking risks.

That's exactly why people call Far Cry boring. Last year Far Cry: New Dawn was met to some positive reviews, but it's kept to the same formula since Far Cry 3. That's seven years of using the same formula over and over.

Even Ubisoft knew Assassins Creed needed changes, so they took a break after Syndicate to develop Origins. The result? A lot of people said it was fresh and invigorated some new life into the series. I knew back in 2015 when Syndicate was released, the franchise was in need of dire changes and Ubisoft answered the call.

I can't comment on Watch Dogs, two games isn't quite enough to make an outright judgement on whether the series has gotten stale or not. While I own both games, I honestly don't think Watch Dogs was all that great to begin with.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MossyOakRcn42 said:

Yes, I will be purchasing The Last of Us: Part II on launch day next month. So far, I have been fortunate enough to have avoided pretty much all of the spoilers/leaks that came out the other week. Looking forward to seeing how the second installment of The Last of Us turns out, all these years later.

Sigh...I really need to get around to finishing the first game. I put about twelve hours into it in the two weeks after the remastered version arrived on the PS4, but for some reason I put the game down and to this day, I have yet to go back to play it again. Personally, it was a mixture of investing time into other games at that time and perhaps a slight loss of overall interest in the game. I traded in my old copy of the game roughly a year ago, so I'll have to pick up a copy of it on the cheap around the end of the month.

*THIS IS NOT SPOILERS, BY THE WAY*

Let me ask you something, just to pick your brain for a bit: what if in your favorite franchise someone had sexually assaulted and killed the main character, and justified it by saying that the assaulted person’s race and their ethnicities past transgressions were the reason for this act of violence, and now they are the new hero (this is not spoilers to anything, by the way).  You were absolutely looking forward to this game, but someone spoiled the story online, and you read it.  If you were offended by this narrative direction, would you still say ‘let me reward the developers with my money first, I’ll keep an open mind, play it, and...I can’t believe they leaked that!  Get them, SONY!’...?

My stance is it’s all a roll of the dice, and if the storyline was considered ‘epic’ by everyone, then...people would be clamoring for the leakers blood.  But if the story was abrasive (which I think the leaker KNEW it would have a rippling bad effect with most people) then...no one cares about the action of leaking, we all blame ND/SONY and look at them differently.  At the end of the day, because of this leak, the consumers are more well-informed and more empowered on how we’d like to spend our money.  I think that’s never a bad thing.

Edited by Starcade_Legend
Grammar.

Yes I will be getting it day one because I want to support all the people who worked on the game for all the hard work that they have done. I don't think it's fair to condemned a game because of one developer's actions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Starcade_Legend said:

My stance is it’s all a roll of the dice, and if the storyline was considered ‘epic’ by everyone, then...people would be clamoring for the leakers blood.  But if the story was abrasive (which I think the leaker KNEW it would have a rippling bad effect with most people) then...no one cares about the action of leaking, we all blame ND/SONY and look at them differently.  At the end of the day, because of this leak, the consumers are more well-informed and more empowered on how we’d like to spend our money.  I think that’s never a bad thing.

I respect each and every one who said they didn't see any spoilers for this game who will be buying it.

I'm not going to side with the angry mob nor the company who made the game. What I will say is that waiting for a leak to jump to conclusions is pretty fucking sad.

People can jump on me and say it's not good to be the ignorant nobody who avoided any possible spoilers. People need to be informed on the definition of spoilers. You see and read them at your own risk. If you got spoiled, tough shit. If you didn't see the spoilers, more power to you.

Everything these days needs to have a leak or some controversy behind it to get people talking. I just wish this guy didn't reveal the leak until a week before the game was released. You think the situation was bad a week or two ago, people would be clinging at Neil's throat, especially all those idiots who preordered the game ahead of time thinking it was going to be as awesome as the first game was.

I cannot make real judgements on the game itself and it's content. I'll just wait for the reviews to come out this June and I'll be better able to form a REAL opinion on the game.

Expecting a leak for these games just goes to show how volatile gaming communities are getting.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

I don't read leaked articles. Or watch leaked videos before games come out. I like to enjoy them for what they are. The most I would do before a game comes out is watch a trailer. I'll still be buying this game. 

Edited by SuchRemorse
Spelling error
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Lum said:

Yes, of course. I never let the opinions of others affect my decision of whether I want to play a certain game or not. As for the leaks, I haven't watched any of the videos but have stumbled upon forum posts. If what has been said concerning the leaks is true then I'm actually even more interested than ever to play it now. ND seems to have taken a huge risk (which seems rare when it comes to video games) with character and story direction and I'm itching to see how they ran with it...and my gut tells me that this will be another masterpiece, just not in a way everyone's used to. Even after everything that's currently happening surrounding TLoU2, my decision hasn't swayed one bit. In fact, it's enforced even more 1f44d.png

This. Seen the darker tone they were going for and I’m like yeah this is right up my alley. The fact that they would even think of doing something like that just gets props from me as most studios would just go for a safe story to please fans and make sure the sequel sells.

Off topic but I wonder if Game Of Thrones episode “The red wedding” or Berserks  “The Eclipse” came out today how would people react to it? 

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, SuchRemorse said:

I don't read leaked articles. Or watch leaked videos before games come out. I like to enjoy them for what they are. I most I would do before a game comes out is watch a trailer. I'll still be buying this game. 

That's an opinion I can respect.

• Like 1

Put in a preorder since September and haven't cancelled it as I have not watched any leaks and refrained from joining in on the discussion/argument clusterfucks happening around.

I enjoyed the first game, so I'm curious on how I'll receive Part 2. I'm pretty apathetic to whatever "agendas" are being touted on the story and the descriptions of ultraviolence don't really put me off.

7 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

A quick glance at the Internet's reaction to the leaks should make it clear. Something something "forced diversity" blah blah "I don't want gay stuff in my game no homo" blah blah "why don't women stay out of my vidya games"

Frankly those kind of hateful chuds being mad at the game makes me more likely to play it, not less.

Oh, that's only about lesbian Ellie, but that's my favourite part of the game.

• Like 1