Are you still buying "The Last of Us: Part II"?

Carol

"The Last of Us: Part II" - still buying or not?  

787 members have voted

1. 1. After the leaks, do you still plan to buy "The Last of Us: Part II"?

• Yes, I'll be playing it day one. I want to play and judge the game for myself.
    • Yes, but I'll buy it only when I can find it cheaper.
    • No, but I was never interested in this game.
    • No, the leaks completely destroyed any enthusiasm I had for the game.
    • I still haven't decided if will buy the game or not or when I will do it.

I've voted yes as I'm still getting it as I managed to pre-order a Collectors Edition the day they went live before they more or less instantly sold out in the UK.

I've only had 1 thing spoiled for me (some assbag posted a major spoiler on something I use that is completely unrelated to games, they really were just trying to ruin it for any many people as possible) so it's not put me off getting the game but it has ruined my first play through as I'll spend the whole thing waiting for what I know to happen.

Fortunately my Fianceè hasn't had anything spoiled & she was the one who got me into The Last of Us in the first place so I can at least watch & see her experience of it (we have 2 PS4's in the house & are both getting a copy of the game, I finish games much faster than she does so I'll  be able to watch a lot of her play through) & how she feels about it.

Naughty Dog are generally my favourite developer & have been ever since the days of Crash Bandicoot & Jak & Daxter so I have faith in them. While I'm disappointed & concerned that a lot of people who have been spoiled don't like the direction the story has gone in, I still have some faith in them as they did something crazy with a story before that ended up being amazing (the transition, story & gameplay changes from Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy to Jak II Renegade were huge & completely unexpected) so I'm hoping this could impress me in a similar way.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

I buy nothing on day one anymore.

Also, don't let Metacritic completely sway your opinions. They should serve as pieces of advice. It's no different than Rotten Tomatoes for movies. I couldn't give a crap if my favorite films of all time got a rotten rating on that website. Because it's all subjective.

I usually don't, but eh. I make some exceptions - e.g. preordering Borderlands 3.

Metacritic is good for scoping out aggregates of games, and is generally accurate. Games that get high scores, you can safely say that most people enjoy them, and statistically speaking, you're going to find a lot to like in this game as well. They're not the end all, mind you - I've played plenty of games that have had terrible aggregate scores - Battleborn, Fallout 76, Mass Effect Andromeda - that I've thoroughly enjoyed, but those games all had major issues which naturally lowered the score, and those issues were ones that many people rightly couldn't overlook. If a game releases to even the low or mid 90s, it's safe to say that it's a gem and very hard to find flaws with, although on occasion, games will have their scores bloated - e.g. I think Horizon is fantastic game, but I think it's an 8.5, not an 89/100, and Nintendo games often get reviewed relatively high, but that just goes to show that most people who buy their games are satisfied.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:32 AM, ObsceneSociopath said:

Naughty Dog are generally my favourite developer & have been ever since the days of Crash Bandicoot & Jak & Daxter so I have faith in them. While I'm disappointed & concerned that a lot of people who have been spoiled don't like the direction the story has gone in, I still have some faith in them as they did something crazy with a story before that ended up being amazing (the transition, story & gameplay changes from Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy to Jak II Renegade were huge & completely unexpected) so I'm hoping this could impress me in a similar way.

That's not a viable comparison. In addition to other controversy designs in TLOUL2 that don't exist in JII, TLOUII is handling its main character and story much differently. Can elaborate a bit in a PM if needed.

Edited by EcoShifter

I haven't paid any attention to any of the leaks. Other than knowing people are upset about them...I have no idea what's in them. 

However, I'm also not the biggest fan of the first game. I didn't hate it...I just don't think it's the pure masterpiece everyone made it out to be. So I already planned on getting Part II much later down the line when it was cheaper. It was on the radar, but I was never in any hurry. 

Since tlou is my favourite game on Playstation, I'm pre-ordering my physical edition next week.

I'm not listening to any of the YouTube/reddit drama pushers.

Hopefully, I can avoid spoilers a little longer.

Edited by Bratinov

So, I decided to follow my original plan. I am going to play the game on release date too. Ever since this sequel was announced, I knew that I was going to get it right away, so it doesn't make sense to abandon this idea, just because some of the story was leaked, showing unpleasant things. I always knew that this second game would, probably, not be as good as the original or, at least, that I wouldn't like it as much as I like Part I. If it's bad, then so be it, but I want to see that for myself and maybe I will end up being surprised.

Actually, now that all the turmoil surrounding the leaks has calmed down, I've been thinking a bit about the story and, with the help of that last trailer, I've even come up with a little theory:

Spoiler

Do we have any confirmation that that boss fight between Abby and Ellie we were all so upset about being the ending of the game is actually the end? Because in the last trailer, we hear someone saying (presumably Abby) "We could have killed you" and then Ellie says "Well, maybe you should have". What makes sense to me is that the game is going to make us play as Abby, so that we can know her, her background, and, inevitably, like her or empathize with her a bit. Then, we will find Ellie, severely beat her and Dina, but leave them alive. However, I think that would be a pretty bad way to end the game and I don't think Naughty Dog would be so dumb to leave the story like this, especially for the fans. Remember that "The Last of Us" was always about perspective. In the first game, we see Joel's perspective and this is so well done, that, by the end, we, basically, feel what he is feeling and we know that we can't let anyone hurt our Ellie.

So, what I think will actually happen is that that boss fight will mark another change of perspective and we will be playing as Ellie again, trying to find Abby, now that, we, players, actually like her or understand her a bit. How that will end it's still undetermined.

Of course I have no idea if I'm right or not, but, honestly, I think this would be the most intelligent way of handling and saving the story. If what I think is true, than I actually think that this game and this story might have potential and I'm actually quite excited to play it now!

• Like 1

On 09.05.2020 at 4:22 PM, Darling Baphomet said:

Anyway, I'll be waiting to see the metacritic score. If it's above 90 I'll probably buy it day one. If 80-85 I'll likely wait for a sale.

"Ok Internet, please make my opinion on game today please"

What a wonderful age we living in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PostalDudeRus said:

"Ok Internet, please make my opinion on game today please"

What a wonderful age we living in.

When did I ever say that? It's simply a statistical fact that the larger the quantity of people who like a game / think it's very good, the more likely it is that I, personally, will like it.

22 hours ago, Carol said:

So, I decided to follow my original plan. I am going to play the game on release date too. Ever since this sequel was announced, I knew that I was going to get it right away, so it doesn't make sense to abandon this idea, just because some of the story was leaked, showing unpleasant things. I always knew that this second game would, probably, not be as good as the original or, at least, that I wouldn't like it as much as I like Part I. If it's bad, then so be it, but I want to see that for myself and maybe I will end up being surprised.

Actually, now that all the turmoil surrounding the leaks has calmed down, I've been thinking a bit about the story and, with the help of that last trailer, I've even come up with a little theory:

Reveal hidden contents

Do we have any confirmation that that boss fight between Abby and Ellie we were all so upset about being the ending of the game is actually the end? Because in the last trailer, we hear someone saying (presumably Abby) "We could have killed you" and then Ellie says "Well, maybe you should have". What makes sense to me is that the game is going to make us play as Abby, so that we can know her, her background, and, inevitably, like her or empathize with her a bit. Then, we will find Ellie, severely beat her and Dina, but leave them alive. However, I think that would be a pretty bad way to end the game and I don't think Naughty Dog would be so dumb to leave the story like this, especially for the fans. Remember that "The Last of Us" was always about perspective. In the first game, we see Joel's perspective and this is so well done, that, by the end, we, basically, feel what he is feeling and we know that we can't let anyone hurt our Ellie.

So, what I think will actually happen is that that boss fight will mark another change of perspective and we will be playing as Ellie again, trying to find Abby, now that, we, players, actually like her or understand her a bit. How that will end it's still undetermined.

Of course I have no idea if I'm right or not, but, honestly, I think this would be the most intelligent way of handling and saving the story. If what I think is true, than I actually think that this game and this story might have potential and I'm actually quite excited to play it now!

Spoiler

My thoughts exactly. The game is about the thin line that separates hero from villain, and making you uncomfortable with your actions. i.e. "Oh, you're fine with beating the crap out of those random enemies? Now do it to a character you love. Feel like a hero?"

Putting that together - same as you have - and understanding that the game is about perspective (Abby is the villain of Ellie's sections, Ellie is the villain of Abby's sections) has made me more excited for the game.

I could probably articulate this a bit better if I wasn't as tired and wasn't hankering for a slice of cake. I hope I've done a good enough job.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SpaghettiGrabsy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

My thoughts exactly. The game is about the thin line that separates hero from villain, and making you uncomfortable with your actions. i.e. "Oh, you're fine with beating the crap out of those random enemies? Now do it to a character you love. Feel like a hero?"

Putting that together - same as you have - and understanding that the game is about perspective (Abby is the villain of Ellie's sections, Ellie is the villain of Abby's sections) has made me more excited for the game.

I could probably articulate this a bit better if I wasn't as tired and wasn't hankering for a slice of cake. I hope I've done a good enough job.

Yeah, we were all so mad and the game might actually be groundbreaking and a masterpiece!

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 4:21 PM, LLegend_Fox said:

People are "entitled" for not wanting feminism shoved down their throat?

Well quite, I hate misandrists as well as misogynists as they are both bad news.  I also think that anyone whom has an issue with playing a female protagonist is very insecure anyway, Lara Croft was the first female protag in a Western video game series that I know of and a successful one both in the Classic days and today.  Did any male gamers have a problem with playing her in the 90's I wonder?

2 minutes ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

Well quite, I hate misandrists as well as misogynists as they are both bad news.  I also think that anyone whom has an issue with playing a female protagonist is very insecure anyway, Lara Croft was the first female protag in a Western video game series that I know of and a successful one both in the Classic days and today.  Did any male gamers have a problem with playing her in the 90's I wonder?

She definitely wasn't the first, but probably the most iconic.

• Like 1

I'll wait and reserve my judgement until the game comes out. Until now, I've managed to miraculously avoid any spoilers for this game and I only know that it is heading in a direction that will garner divisive reactions. Having said that, I am curious for an answer to this question without any specific spoilers being mentioned by those who may have already seen the leaks. If they turn out to be true, are the leaks as bad as the Mass Effect 3 ending? Because from my personal gaming experience, that's the one game that went in a direction storywise that really pissed me off.

I'm honestly stil very exited. I got a lot of it spoiled but im gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and see how it fits together as a whole. I'm okay with not liking the direction personally as long as it thematically fits. I love the gameplay of the first one so as long as that still solid then I'm happy.

22 hours ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

Lara Croft has her own franchise, no previous characters had to be killed off because there werent any. The way that Joel apparently goes out in TLoU 2 seems like its completely forced and out of the blue just to push some political agenda. I have played both Uncharted & Tomb Raider series and id say that both of them were quite good. I do prefer Uncharted for its story writing but id say that the stuff that happens to both characters is reasonably believable for them to survive.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MATT_THE_FLY said:

I'll wait and reserve my judgement until the game comes out. Until now, I've managed to miraculously avoid any spoilers for this game and I only know that it is heading in a direction that will garner divisive reactions. Having said that, I am curious for an answer to this question without any specific spoilers being mentioned by those who may have already seen the leaks. If they turn out to be true, are the leaks as bad as the Mass Effect 3 ending? Because from my personal gaming experience, that's the one game that went in a direction storywise that really pissed me off.

Yes? That's one of the recurring gaming examples people are comparing it to.

as much as i dont think the first game needed a second part i do think the game will turn out fine. people act like its the end of the world. death threats from every side against the dev team. this whole thing has just made the gaming community look even worse than it did before. and it was already laughable. i get that the leaks are jarring but at the end of the day its a video game. i get that its important to people but its not worth threatening to kill people lol also my god, the amount of trans and gay hatred thats been vomited out is incredible. again, the gaming community just comes out looking worse than anything. but like i said, i think the game will be fine, it looks fun. i want to play it and see for myself the direction it goes.

10 hours ago, MATT_THE_FLY said:

no not really. in terms of the world that these characters live in the direction it goes makes a lot of sense. idk why people would think anything would go well in the TLOU universe.

• Like 1

I'll buy it in a sale. I never preorder or buy day one anymore.

About the leaks. I welcome a ''deeper'' story in The Last of Us universe compared to Uncharted where Nathan murdered his way through 5000 people (most probably had lives similar to Nathans') without consequences, and lived happily ever after.

I want to experience the game myself and make my own opinion about the story.

And I wanna recommend the movie ''Funny Games U.S.'' Not the best movie, but it has a plot twist that I always think of when I read forums here about the leaks.

The ''heroes'' can't always win. Most times realism wins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sundowner5038 said:

in terms of the world that these characters live in the direction it goes makes a lot of sense. idk why people would think anything would go well in the TLOU universe.

It has gone well for plenty of other characters in a similar or worse world. It doesn't make sense purely because they live in a post apocalypse world inhabited by infected and survivors. The story and actions of the characters determines what happens with or to them, not the world alone.

Edited by EcoShifter

• 2 weeks later...

I have avoided all the leaks except pieces and bits. However reading the discussion here got me genuinely interested. Guess I need to stop here unless I want to be exposed to the full leak.

Anyway just want to state that I am Ok with a female protagonist as I almost always create one in the game, if I have the choice. And Ellie seems to be a good fit for a promotion.

Just watched a complete playthrough of the first game when it came out. Loved the story but I felt like the gameplay wouldn't be my cup of tea. I had this feeling confirmed when it got on PS Plus. I've never been any good at stealth-focussed games, that's why MGS doesn't work for me either. So no, I won't be playing it but I'll watch a playthrough for sure.

Edited by Baka_Marimo
  • Like 1