Fallout New Vegas: is it playable?

gipoli

It's playable enough (actually, pretty fine!), although when you notice framerate dips (this happens after 1-3 hours of playtime, more frequently as you progress), immediately restart the game. Should be fine after that again for 1-3 hours, depending on how much RAM your activity eats up.

Edited by fbdbh

I'm having a way worse time with this than I did with Fallout 3.

With 3, I didn't really have problems until my save file got to about 12 MB.

With New Vegas, I'm getting hard freezes every 15-30 minutes with a 5 MB file. It's infuriating.

I can see now why the completion percentage is so low for this game.

• Like 2

I have the ultimate edition of New Vegas so I don't know if that effects my playthrough at all but my experience was rather good. I had the common issues frame drops, crashes, and weird loading issues just to name a few but was easily fixed by restarting the game or waiting. I am currently trophy hunting Fallout NV and had most the issues in the base game not the dlcs. Warning you it won't work perfectly but if you really do love New Vegas it won't be that bad. Talking from my personal experience I have played Fallout NV on different platforms and Ps3 runs it by far the worst but that didn't stop me from having a good time and it shouldn't stop you.

In short: The game has a lot of bugs and problems that only some of them can be fixed but if you truly love the game then you will have a lot of fun with only a few frustrating moments.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been so on the fence about returning to the game to play the DLC, which I never played after platinuming the game 6 years ago. I know it's gonna be a buggy mess, but I hate seeing the 53% trophy completion rate on my profile. Plus I love the Fallout world and God knows PlayStation folks likely won't ever see a new game on their platform again. 

I'll probably pick up the Ultimate Edition and hope for the best. I only want to play the DLCs so I suppose I can just start a new game, play up to whatever point you can start the DLCs, make a save, and then just run through each DLC from that save point to keep the save file sizes down. 

On 5/7/2020 at 9:18 PM, gipoli said:

Snip.

I've heard the same about the game mate but i can only give my own experience. I'm 20 hours into the game (I'm very slow with Fallout games, no stone left unturned etc) and I've had 3 freezes, on all 3 occasions I've lost maybe a minute or 2 progress as the game auto saves with every zone or building entered.

This is playing on the UK Complete Edition with 3 saves active in my list. (Just because of Bethesda games going mental if you stack loads of saves and flood the cache like Skyrim did). If you're careful and playing just the standard I'd say go for it, its very enjoyable and I'm finally starting to see why people love NV over 3.

Edited by TOAST13TOA5T

It's been many moons since I played New Vegas. If I remember it wasn't too bad to begin with, but I also had a Day 1 disc. As the patches and DLC became available it seemed the quality of play went down. There was a point playing the last DLC where I would have to exit the game to even continue, but it took like 5 minutes for the menu to show up after holding the ps button.

• Like 1

i had no major problems getting all trophies available for this game. sure the framerate  would drop when entering some areas but nothing that closing the game and restarting wouldnt fix. be sure not to disable autosave just in case the game crashes making you lose all your progress.  i played the ultimate edition on a super slim ps3 full of other games.

• 4 weeks later...

I started the game today and after only 2 hours I got stuck trying to reach the city of Novac. No workaround has solved the issue for me: the game keeps freezing everytime I try to reach this city.

I don't recommend trying to play the game on PS3; I think I will try it on PC, maybe it would be better.

1 hour ago, paninextdoor said:

I started the game today and after only 2 hours I got stuck trying to reach the city of Novac. No workaround has solved the issue for me: the game keeps freezing everytime I try to reach this city.

I don't recommend trying to play the game on PS3; I think I will try it on PC, maybe it would be better.

The PC version is far from perfect but at least there are a ton of fan patches and mods you can use to fix/workaround the issues so it's at least passable.

The game is most definitely still playable you just have to know what your doing. First of all I highly recommend doing the level up exploit it takes about 3-5 hours to do but it will make the game 10 times easer especially if you do it starting off on hardcore mode that way you can have a  max level charter starting off to make hard core easer . Just make a new save after you do the glitch, for your main play through then change the difficulty to normal or what ever you want. I also strongly recommend making a new hard save every hour or two you can always delete them later. The game is extremely buggy no mater what you do but this will help a lot if your game freezes to the point where you cant play on that save any more, then all you have to do is load the last save and you might only lose an hour of game play. This will also allow you to go back for mic trophies if your main save gets to big since the bigger the save the bugger the game gets. Im also finding that the automatic save feature can really mess things up sometimes  because a lot of time the game freezes after you load through a door or cell and since his game saves after loading this can become a big problem as your game is now freezing or froze on a save and this can be a big problem since restarting the game sometimes wont fix it, so just be wary of this. I hope this helps and if you have any questions fell free to message me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/09/2020 at 1:16 AM, HoorayForTyler said:

During my journey to 100% New Vegas it crashed maybe 4-5 times during the 12 hours I played it. 

From my experience with 3 & New Vegas I find the original disc version with the purchased DLCs runs better for Fallout 3, and the Ultimate Edition disc with DLCs included for New Vegas runs better over purchasing the DLCs and playing on original disc.

Why is this written like purple prose lmao 

6 hours ago, Lianco said:

Why is this written like purple prose lmao 

Whether or not you think that, anyone can take my play time and equate how many crashes they’ll potentially run into depending on how many hours they spend playing in-game.

In my second paragraph I am informing people on what worked best for me when playing each respective disc version. Do you have anything to add to the discussion or you just decided to randomly label my comment as purple prose nearly a year after I posted it? Lol.

Edited by HoorayForTyler