First Impressions (Difficulty and Controls)

TheBlaskar

PS4 players anxiously waited a year to play this game and so far it's everything I had hoped it would be in terms of unique style and fun gameplay... and the first things that stand out as different from what I expected are the difficulty and controls.

It may just be me and my Void Bastards newbie-ness but this game is pretty tricky even on normal. I'm looking at some of these trophies and wondering how the hell I'm going to manage to beat the game without dying on Hard Bastard. Granted, I'm not sure if enemy health scales up as their damage probably will, or any other details, but if it's anything like what I'm expecting, this game's going to be *at least* a 7-8/10 on difficulty.

Also, the controls. I was excited to see that I can use R3 to crouch but Circle is also crouch, Triangle is jump, L2 is sprint, and X is "action"...I can't help but think it's a bit of a joke since the whole game is pretty tongue-in-cheek but I'm going to have to recalibrate all FPS muscle memory to get through this plat.

Anybody else noticing these things as potentially standing in their way of a plat? Interested in hearing other peoples' impressions thus far. Excited to keep playing though, that's for sure

EDIT: After playing quite a bit more, I've started to grasp how the game is meant to be played (more like Alien Isolation and less like Bulletstorm, haha) and things have gotten easier. Also, closing the app when under 100 health to prevent death is the easy way to get around the whole "complete without dying" I think

Edited by BCarsonElite
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 0:40 AM, BCarsonElite said:

PS4 players anxiously waited a year to play this game and so far it's everything I had hoped it would be in terms of unique style and fun gameplay... and the first things that stand out as different from what I expected are the difficulty and controls.

It may just be me and my Void Bastards newbie-ness but this game is pretty tricky even on normal. I'm looking at some of these trophies and wondering how the hell I'm going to manage to beat the game without dying on Hard Bastard. Granted, I'm not sure if enemy health scales up as their damage probably will, or any other details, but if it's anything like what I'm expecting, this game's going to be *at least* a 7-8/10 on difficulty.

Also, the controls. I was excited to see that I can use R3 to crouch but Circle is also crouch, Triangle is jump, L2 is sprint, and X is "action"...I can't help but think it's a bit of a joke since the whole game is pretty tongue-in-cheek but I'm going to have to recalibrate all FPS muscle memory to get through this plat.

Anybody else noticing these things as potentially standing in their way of a plat? Interested in hearing other peoples' impressions thus far. Excited to keep playing though, that's for sure

EDIT: After playing quite a bit more, I've started to grasp how the game is meant to be played (more like Alien Isolation and less like Bulletstorm, haha) and things have gotten easier. Also, closing the app when under 100 health to prevent death is the easy way to get around the whole "complete without dying" I think

ot question

in the non upgrade run you need to build only the action items right? even the single parts of an action item?

10 hours ago, Stormwarrior90 said:

ot question

in the non upgrade run you need to build only the action items right? even the single parts of an action item?

you can build as many single parts using junk as you want, you just can't craft anything with them to make anything other than action items. like, you can craft the parts needed for the zapper using junk but you can't craft the zapper itself

• Like 1

• 8 months later...