How many Ultra Rare trophies make a Profile “Cool”?

In my last thread there was a general consensus that Level did not correlate to “Eliteness”, but that Ultra Rare trophies signify something more special.

So, how many URs do you think makes a profile cool? I’m avoiding language like “Elite” since people have a lot of disagreement over what that means essentially.

I’ve seen quite a few accounts with 300-400+, and I’m like, “wow, that’s dedication”...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

You seem to be all about "numbers" (no offense 1f642.png). What leve, how many trophies overall, how many URs... 

First of all, I don't think there is an objective answer to any of your questions (I'm sure you are aware of it), it's about personal preference. Personally, I don't find a profile with 1000 URs automatically great if the games they play are shit. I am not impressed by a lv. 100 profile if the average rarity is super high. 

Personally, I like profiles with high completion of good and challenging games, with low average rarities. One profile with 100URs and exclusively "good" games (whatever that means) will stand out to me personally more than a game with 1000 URs from 700 games of which most are "bad". 

Interested in numbers on a site that tracks statistics?

uh yeah...that’s the point.

i get this is an anti-structuralist group of commenters: Reality is too messy to pinpoint anything. It’s a postmodern post structuralist consciousness, this is nothing new.

That said, we can work within the parameters we’re given, look at numbers, and try to make sense of them. 

I personally am less interested in completion rates because I like “messy profiles”, but that’s a different topic for a different thread.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Copanele said:

Assuming it's YOU who got that platinum and not some shady shareplayer stuff : if it's about showing off your platinum balls of steel xD  I do believe it's less about UR numbers and rather about the quality and difficulty of the games themselves.

An Ultra Street Fighter 4 platinum will always beat a Lords of the Fallen platinum hands down. Or rather, even if you have 100000 UR trophies, one guy with Crypt of the Necrodancer platinum would turn more heads and drop more jaws. It's all about notoriety of the games from what I've seen around here.

Those sound like some cool games...

yeah UR does not equate difficulty, just that there is something about the game that fewer people attempt which could be for a lot of reasons: grinds, glitches, just a bad game? But I think when you start amounting many UR, assuming you did it legitimately, I see a strength in the account. That pared with many plats and trophies, to me anyway, shows a dedicated (and maybe even good?) gamer.

5 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Those sound like some cool games...

yeah UR does not equate difficulty, just that there is something about the game that fewer people attempt which could be for a lot of reasons: grinds, glitches, just a bad game? But I think when you start amounting many UR, assuming you did it legitimately, I see a strength in the account. That pared with many plats and trophies, to me anyway, shows a dedicated (and maybe even good?) gamer.

I suppose... I mean yeah, if you have a big number of UR plats i guess sure, you do have a strong account. Depends on who you are asking honestly. 

EDIT : Or do like @Smashero and set a specific number of URs that would impress you. He had the right idea all along xD

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I suppose... I mean yeah, if you have a big number of UR plats i guess sure, you do have a strong account. Depends on who you are asking honestly. 

EDIT : Or do like @Smashero and set a specific number of URs that would impress you. He had the right idea all along xD

Thanks! But edited my post almost totally, so if you would like to change your mind or post,please do so :).

Edited by Smashero
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Smashero said:

It has to be exactly 31337 to make your profile looks ELEET and COOL, right?!

This quarantine really makes people bored, huh? :/

Edited from initial "17" URs, since I found it more... interesting ;).

Despite sarcasm I do appreciate you answering the question.

For me it’s 350.

Bored? I’d say blessed, one of the few who kept his job during all this (online teaching at a university). 

just got on the forums and been testing the waters here, seeing what kind of community it is, how friendly, etc. 

13 minutes ago, zajac9999 said:

2266 or more.

:D Not 2267? ;).

Sorry for personal "attack", but I was always wondering: since "Zajac" (actually "Zając") is a Polish word, do you have some... Hm... Slavs "roots"?

Of course do not want you to reveal the story of your life here if you do not wanna to, but if you are kind to answer, you can PM me, I am seriously curious ;).

10 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Despite sarcasm I do appreciate you answering the question.

For me it’s 350.

Bored? I’d say blessed, one of the few who kept his job during all this (online teaching at a university). 

just got on the forums and been testing the waters here, seeing what kind of community it is, how friendly, etc. 

Thanks for noticing the sarcasm, that's not an usual thing here - already feeling better that I can give OP some more points of "trust".

In regards to the political-virus-pandemia-shitty situation - I would like to stay away from this subject - this is a game-trophy-wise site and topic - let's stick to that :).

Got it! Thx for explanation, even more points added :). Appreciate your post and I hope you will stay here a bit longer, despite the "quasi-toxic" attacks from my side ;).

Always happy to have a nice discussion on a proper level!

GZ!

Edited by Smashero
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SlimSanta94 said:

The amount of ultra rare's someone has says nothing about the account, rather the type of person or gamer that they are.. I love seeing people's self improvement and I actively encourage it whenever I can and I love profiles where people just do what they do and have a good time while doing it. That's what I find "cool".

^
This shall be written/quoted on the top of the homepage of this portal...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SlimSanta94 said:

The amount of ultra rare's someone has says nothing about the account, rather the type of person or gamer that they are.. I love seeing people's self improvement and I actively encourage it whenever I can and I love profiles where people just do what they do and have a good time while doing it. That's what I find "cool".

I find going after URs now to be enjoyable. I never used to care about it or even track it then as the trophies accumulated and I started looking into the stats on this site it got a bit more addicted to it. It’s a nice hobby. So it’s enjoyable for me and I know others as well. That’s why I started this thread.

• Like 1

Just now, PalaceOfLove706 said:

I find going after URs now to be enjoyable. I never used to care about it or even track it then as the trophies accumulated and I started looking into the stats on this site it got a bit more addicted to it. It’s a nice hobby. So it’s enjoyable for me and I know others as well. That’s why I started this thread.

Same here, i'm almost at 1,000 ultra rares. It can be quite satisfying seeing how far you can push that number up, but it's not something i'd normally do for respect points or anything. I feel like you'd be doing it for the wrong reasons if that were the case.

• Like 3

giphy.gif

@SlimSanta94 I think you might be a Guitar Hero God. 

But to the point of the thread. I've honestly never given it much thought, but off the top of my head I think it's cool when people just do what they want to do. The only thing I can say is that if I happen to glance at someone's profile and see a high amount of ultra rares without duplicates I think, "This cat has serious skills." 

Do people still say 'cat'?

Edited by Gotakibono
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, SlimSanta94 said:

Same here, i'm almost at 1,000 ultra rares. It can be quite satisfying seeing how far you can push that number up, but it's not something i'd normally do for respect points or anything. I feel like you'd be doing it for the wrong reasons if that were the case.

1000? That’s cool...

Respect? I’ll give you that too, why not

Just now, Astray404 said:

It is kinda interesting that PS3 and Vita has more UR trophies than PS4...

I don’t tend to stack unless I really love the game but in general I do find the PS3 numbers lower than on the PS4. 

However I was going to go after In Space We Brawl and I noticed the PS4 percentages to be very low compared to PS3....

2 minutes ago, grimydawg___ said:

Just enjoy what you play, no matter the rarity.  Also @PalaceOfLove706 don't start NBA 2K, unless you're a maniac and love the series.

Hmph

Hahaha good to know! The final fantasy series I love dearly, and despite a lot of people completing them it’s never phased me because I enjoy the games so much. I think the later ones are more rare but haven’t gotten there yet, still gotta play x-2...

56 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

I personally am less interested in completion rates because I like “messy profiles”, but that’s a different topic for a different thread.

*heart broken intensifies* :'( As a completionist gamer, I will now go commit honorable seppuku once I read your thoughts on that topic. How dare you not be interested in something that means a lot to me! I'm... T-R-I-G-G-E-R-E-D. Reeeeeeeee.

... Just kidding.

My thoughts on Ultra Rares is that it can be cool stat to judge others on but also can be tricky depending on how you look at it.

For example, I LOVE the Dark Souls series. It's hard (okay, subjective opinion), it's challenging and it's fun. But... the platinums aren't ultra rare, much less any of their trophies. Does that mean I don't play them just because they are aren't ultra rare? Well, no! 

On the other hand, something like Super Meat Boy or Crypt of the Necrodancer are huge games to have on your profile. Sure you might spend 100's of hours and your profile might say "10-20 ultra rare trophies!". At first glance, you might think "Wow, this profile sucks" (if all you're looking at is the ultra rares)... UNTIL you realize what game those Ultra Rares came from. 

I think, for me at least, when I look at ultra rares I want to know WHAT you overcame to get that trophy. Was it some ultra long grind? Was it some insane difficulty? Was it a willingness to go through several NG+ cycles? Did you have to collect and catalog all items in a game? What was it that made you go above and beyond to do something a vast majority of other gamers were unwilling to do?

But, just because a game doesn't have ultra rares doesn't mean it isn't fun or something you shouldn't be proud of to have on your profile. Again, using Dark Souls as an example, sure it's not the most ultra rare game on the planet... but once I get all 3 games completed, that will be a huge accomplishment for me. Something I'll really be proud of.

So how many ultra rares would make a profile "look" cool? Maybe 100+? Simply because 100 is bigger than a 2 digit number. Kinda like PSN level. You see a lot of 2 digit PSN levels but a 3 digit one just makes it more special. I honestly have no idea what the "average" PSN profile ultra rares even are. 

Personally I don't care at all about ultra rares. The closer my profile is to 100% completion, the more successful I feel in this hobby because that's what I care the most about. But for others, the more ultra rares you have, the more successful you feel. I say, if you care about ultra rares, go for it. You get as many as you can and I'll cheer you on all the way. Lol. :P 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sword said:

*heart broken intensifies* :'( As a completionist gamer, I will now go commit honorable seppuku once I read your thoughts on that topic. How dare you not be interested in something that means a lot to me! I'm... T-R-I-G-G-E-R-E-D. Reeeeeeeee.

... Just kidding.

My thoughts on Ultra Rares is that it can be cool stat to judge others on but also can be tricky depending on how you look at it.

For example, I LOVE the Dark Souls series. It's hard (okay, subjective opinion), it's challenging and it's fun. But... the platinums aren't ultra rare, much less any of their trophies. Does that mean I don't play them just because they are aren't ultra rare? Well, no! 

On the other hand, something like Super Meat Boy or Crypt of the Necrodancer are huge games to have on your profile. Sure you might spend 100's of hours and your profile might say "10-20 ultra rare trophies!". At first glance, you might think "Wow, this profile sucks" (if all you're looking at is the ultra rares)... UNTIL you realize what game those Ultra Rares came from. 

I think, for me at least, when I look at ultra rares I want to know WHAT you overcame to get that trophy. Was it some ultra long grind? Was it some insane difficulty? Was it a willingness to go through several NG+ cycles? Did you have to collect and catalog all items in a game? What was it that made you go above and beyond to do something a vast majority of other gamers were unwilling to do?

But, just because a game doesn't have ultra rares doesn't mean it isn't fun or something you shouldn't be proud of to have on your profile. Again, using Dark Souls as an example, sure it's not the most ultra rare game on the planet... but once I get all 3 games completed, that will be a huge accomplishment for me. Something I'll really be proud of.

So how many ultra rares would make a profile "look" cool? Maybe 100+? Simply because 100 is bigger than a 2 digit number. Kinda like PSN level. You see a lot of 2 digit PSN levels but a 3 digit one just makes it more special. I honestly have no idea what the "average" PSN profile ultra rares even are. 

Personally I don't care at all about ultra rares. The closer my profile is to 100% completion, the more successful I feel in this hobby because that's what I care the most about. But for others, the more ultra rares you have, the more successful you feel. I say, if you care about ultra rares, go for it. You get as many as you can and I'll cheer you on all the way. Lol. :P 

What a post (and on topic). Thank you. And ps: it’s cool you’re a completionist, you do what I can’t haha!

1 hour ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Interested in numbers on a site that tracks statistics?

uh yeah...that’s the point.

I didn't mean numbers don't mean nothing. But absolute numbers definitely don't (to me). That's what I was trying to explain with my post. The question "how many this and that" makes a profile great can, in my opinion, not be answered with absolute numbers. 

If you have 400 UR trophies but that's either 0.5% of your total trophy count, or most come from "bad" games, then having those 400 UR alone don't make the profile "cool". At least not in my opinion. 

• Like 3