Games that explore “Madness”

PalaceOfLove706

I recently played Lone Survivor, and I thought the game really explored themes of madness / mental illness in uncertain times. Quite timely for this era. The game actually rewards players with trophies and different endings for the character’s mental health and choices that affect it. We’re even left speculating at the end what the delusions he experienced mean.

So, I’d like to know what other games are out there that seriously explore conceptions of madness or mental illness. They don’t have to be obvious choices, but could be games where you think there was a sub-theme around it that not many players may have caught on to. 

2 minutes ago, Void said:

Alice Madness Returns as well and to some degree Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem.

Yeap Alice came in mind aswell, but dunno if OP was interested in last gen games haha 

And oh man, Eternal Darkness was amazing, shame Nintendo hasn't done anything with the IP anymore

1 minute ago, MichMasteR said:

Yeap Alice came in mind aswell, but dunno if OP was interested in last gen games haha 

And oh man, Eternal Darkness was amazing, shame Nintendo hasn't done anything with the IP anymore

those 2 and Hellblade were the first ones to pop in my mind. Too bad Nintendo Owns Eternal Darkness (i think they do at least) I would love to see it either Remastered or Remade.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Void said:

those 2 and Hellblade were the first ones to pop in my mind. Too bad Nintendo Owns Eternal Darkness (i think they do at least) I would love to see it either Remastered or Remade.

I think a few years ago I seen that they renewed the trademark but sadly it didn't mean anything. A remaster would be completely awesome, anything to acknowledge they have the rights of the franchise but it's... Nintendo lol

Edit: Interesting, got renewed again this year, but nothing yet...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/01/nintendo_just_applied_for_39_trademarks

Edited by MichMasteR

27 minutes ago, MichMasteR said:

I think a few years ago I seen that they renewed the trademark but sadly it didn't mean anything. A remaster would be completely awesome, anything to acknowledge they have the rights of the franchise but it's... Nintendo lol

Edit: Interesting, got renewed again this year, but nothing yet...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/01/nintendo_just_applied_for_39_trademarks

i remember that as there was speculation of a sequel at the time but as you said nothing came of it.

• Like 1

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (a must imo if you are looking for mental illness)

Celeste (anxiety)

Night in the Woods (anxiety and depression)

Gris (depression)

Actual Sunlight (depression)

Nier Automata (depression, grief, life, death, etc.)

Bloodborne (I could write my whole theory on how this is a journey of people trying to escape their own personal nightmare, but I think it's better for the gamer to come to their own conclusions on stuff like this. It's more fun that way).