BadRep24

Cumulative Trophies

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Now, it's time to ask this old-age question: How are cumulative (aka trophy progresses that carry over save files, regardless if your save is deleted or not) trophies often misunderstood? Some would say that cumulative trophies is carried over to any playthrough, regardless of whatever save you have or your save lost, while the other is the complete opposite: the "cumulative" part only applies to one save file.

Edited by BadRep24

Honestly, I think the word "cumulative" is to blame here. Just be more descriptive. If a trophy carries across save files, say clearly that it carries across save files. If it doesn't, say so as well.

I have no idea what this is in reference to so that might help me understand where it’s coming from, but generally, cumulative, when I’ve seen it used, means that it continues to count across play cycles. 

Are you referring to some time that it hasn’t?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

I have no idea what this is in reference to so that might help me understand where it’s coming from, but generally, cumulative, when I’ve seen it used, means that it continues to count across play cycles. 

Are you referring to some time that it hasn’t?

This refers to trophies that no matter what, it still progresses in each and every save file, even if that save is deleted. by accident For example, in Gravity Rush, you have Gem Aficionado (a cumulative trophy), where you have to require to collect 40,000 gems total. But, the age-old question still mystifies the definition of cumulative: "Even if your save file is deleted in GR, does the progress for Gem Aficionado still carries over in a new save"?

Edited by BadRep24

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to explain here.

Are you asking how trophy progress is being measured for specific trophies?

4 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to explain here.

Are you asking how trophy progress is being measured for specific trophies?

Yes. What I'm trying to say here is that "cumulative trophies" are often misunderstood. I'm trying to say that If you've deleted your save file by accident, will those trophy progresses be carried over to a new save?

Are you trying to get an answer for a specific game? If so, you might get more help from people who have played the game.

3 hours ago, BadRep24 said:

This refers to trophies that no matter what, it still progresses in each and every save file, even if that save is deleted. by accident For example, in Gravity Rush, you have Gem Aficionado (a cumulative trophy), where you have to require to collect 40,000 gems total. But, the age-old question still mystifies the definition of cumulative: "Even if your save file is deleted in GR, does the progress for Gem Aficionado still carries over in a new save"?

In this case ''cumulative'' means you can spend your collected gems on upgrades. You don't need to have 40000 gems total at one time.

And NO, you need to collect 40000 gems on one save. GR don't store save data online like multiplayer games do.

Multiplayer games is another story. Would be really stupid if you lost your progress in the game because you deleted your local savefiles?!!

3 hours ago, BadRep24 said:

If you delete your save file for Gravity Rush specifically (really any non-online game), the bits in the programming that tracked how many gems you've collected would not remember how many you've collected because that information would be gone. Cumulative in that case would only be in that save file and would track from your first to your millionth gem, no matter how many you spent or lost in game because it's looking at what you've done over time, not how many you have in the moment. In Gravity Rush the description says collected a total of 40,000 precious gems. That's going to be in one save file over the course of you playing through all of the game. Deleting that save file deletes your progress. A new save file isn't going to look at another save file in this case. In the guide description "cumulative" means it keeps track of how many you've collected and doesn't care how many you've spent. 

Another example that is not cumulative is in LittleBIGPlanet Vita, the Marvel DLC Avengers Ultimate Escape. You have to collect 5,000 coins. It is not cumulative. If you collect 1,000, then spend 500, and so only have 500 left, the game doesn't track your cumulative coins and you still need to collect 4,500 more.

4 hours ago, BadRep24 said:

This really isnt an "age-old question" or even very mystifying.

Each game that uses cumulative trophies will vary. Some will be tied to a save slot, some will be tracked by a profile/settings save slot, and others, mainly online, will be tracked by the game servers.

Your question cannot get a definitive answer.

14 hours ago, dzstrpc said:

Multiplayer games is another story. Would be really stupid if you lost your progress in the game because you deleted your local savefiles?!!

That only assumes that some kind of memory corruption happens, which will usually wipe out your data.

12 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Each game that uses cumulative trophies will vary. Some will be tied to a save slot, some will be tracked by a profile/settings save slot, and others, mainly online, will be tracked by the game servers.

Your question cannot get a definitive answer.

I think you gave the best answer possible :) it depends on the game.

@Topic

But how should any game keep progress if you deleted or lost your savefile? That's impossible if your progress is saved locally.