Do you want your children to game?

PalaceOfLove706

I have a four-year-old but I haven’t exposed him to gaming (yet).

Do you want your (future) children to game? If yes, what age or maturity level do you think is a good time to start? Do you hope they game a lot or keep it more casual? Will you moderate what games they can play, and if so, for how long?

If no, what are your reasons assuming that, since you’re accessing this forum, you’re probably a gamer yourself. 

I’m just interested in parents’ or future parents’ perspectives here.

• Like 1

My four year old plays games all day long.

He has only attempted video games with a controller a couple times, but doesn't have the coordination yet. His attention span doesn't lend itself to investing periods of time into one game right now anyway, probably 45 minutes max.

I actually just ordered hand holds to build him a climbing wall, since his current games almost always involve him climbing all over everything he possibly can.

I am ready for him to video game, but I don't have a "want" for it. If he shows interest in anything, I'll figure out a way to support it, including video games. I'll probably moderate it like I do everything else like food, shows, etc.

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

My four year old plays games all day long.

He has only attempted video games with a controller a couple times, but doesn't have the coordination yet. His attention span doesn't lend itself to investing periods of time into one game right now anyway, probably 45 minutes max.

I actually just ordered hand holds to build him a climbing wall, since his current games almost always involve him climbing all over everything he possibly can.

I am ready for him to video game, but I don't have a "want" for it. If he shows interest in anything, I'll figure out a way to support it, including video games. I'll probably moderate it like I do everything else like food, shows, etc.

My little guy “games” in the broader sense too, but yeah, I have mixed feelings about starting video games at least for now. But I think in the future if he wants to go for it, that’s cool. My brother and I had unrestricted access more or to less to video games from a young age and we ended up fine, but I don’t think I’d go that far with my own. Games are more intense graphically than in those days lol

• Like 1

Yes but I will be in control what they play until they’re old enough. I wouldn’t let my 11 year old play games where there’s lots of sex scenes (like Grand Theft Auto and The Witcher). I would let my child(ren) play games but also let them go to sport activities if that is what they want, to hopefully find a balance (which I never had and now I have no interest in sports at all). 

4-6: PC games like Barbie, Sonic, Disney, Pixar, etc.

7-11: PC + console, racing, Zelda, Sims-like games, Pokémon, etc. I wouldn’t mind to let them play shooters like Aliens vs. Predator, Terminator, but NOT CoD and Battlefield etc.

12-14: loosen up a bit and give them shooters like Call of Duty, Battlefield.

15-18-and older: Let them play what they want to play.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cobby said:

I want mine to stay in the tissues and not develop into money sucking fiends.

Lol - I remember how N64 games never went for less than 50 bucks (if it was a classic). Christmas time was a huge financial investment for my parents

1 minute ago, LoveInHell said:

Yes but I will be in control what they play until they’re old enough. I wouldn’t let my 11 year old play games where there’s lots of sex scenes (like Grand Theft Auto and The Witcher). I would let my child(ren) play games but also let them go to sport activities if that is what they want, to hopefully find a balance (which I never had and now I have no interest in sports at all). 

4-6: PC games like Barbie, Sonic, Disney, Pixar, etc.

7-11: PC + console, racing, Zelda, Sims-like games, Pokémon, etc. I wouldn’t mind to let them play shooters like Aliens vs. Predator, Terminator, but NOT CoD and Battlefield etc.

12-14: loosen up a bit and give them shooters like Call of Duty, Battlefield.

15-18-and older: Let them play what they want to play.

Very reasonable typology here, thank you

3 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Very reasonable typology here, thank you

I think we’re in a great advantage btw. I see lots of parents giving their children whatever game they want cause they have no knowledge in gaming. I think a lot of children know they’re not supposed to play that game but they can still get it cause their parents don’t know better. I am certain that my own children in the future wont be able to mess with me like that. ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

I think we’re in a great advantage btw. I see lots of parents giving their children whatever game they want cause they have no knowledge in gaming. I think a lot of children know they’re not supposed to play that game but they can still get it cause their parents don’t know better. I am certain that my own children in the future wont be able to mess with me like that. 1f605.png

That’s actually a really good point. Parent-gamers have the knowledge to properly moderate whereas my parents never played past Pong or Mario 3 on the old Nintendo. Grandparents the same. So it was a free-for-all. In conjunction with all the online knowledge available for games (whereas you just used to get the M rating), there’s a lot to draw on. 

• Like 1

I can't have kids myself but I look after my young niece, 14 days out of every month (well before the pandemic lockdown happened at least). 

I started letting her watch me play (20 minutes at a time), at 4 years old. Would try to judge if she was ready to play herself, by asking her questions about what she was seeing such as: "Is the game, pretend or real?", "Do you repeat at home ,what you see in the game?" etc. I don't think there's a set age when it comes to kids starting out (there's quite a development gap between them all)

I definitely moderate what she plays now that she's 9. Nothing with realistic graphics (cartoon games only, like Harvest Moon, Mario etc). In terms of violence, the worst I've let her try is Kingdom Hearts. As she matures at her own rate, I'll start to show off different games and genres. Once she builds up some more critical thinking skills and empathy, I'll see if she's ready for some of the teen rated games.

Ultimately in my eyes, it just comes down to letting kids play what they're mentally ready for. I wouldn't go the lazy route of just following ESRB labels, like our generation of parents did.

• Like 3

Not going to lie, I look forward to a day where I can have children and destroy them in Pokemon games! ?

All seriousness, I would totally follow the ESRB ratings when it comes to what I'd let my kids play, and I'd play through the game myself before making any exceptions.

I don't think it's wrong to not follow it (my parents let me play GoldenEye as a kid, and I'm okay), but I think it's bad to completely disregard it altogether.

• Like 2

If they show interest in it, I would have no problem letting my children play age-appropriate video games. I even play some games and think, "This would be a great one to let my kid play."

I remember as a kid the games I used to play and would probably let my kid play similar games at similar ages. Used to be Sesame Street and other learning games until I was 6 or so. Then it expanded into things with a little more gameplay, like Mario and Sonic. At about 9-10, I was playing JRPGs and other 'T'-rated games. I don't think I ever touched an 'M'-rated game until the last couple years because they never interested me. Probably only got 3-4 new games a year between Christmas and birthday gifts for me and my siblings, but it's surprising how much time kids can spend with the same few games and not get bored (just like kids can watch Frozen 20x in a row and still want to watch it again).

• Like 2

I'm unlikely to actually have kids, both due to my choices in partners and just not really feeling fit to raise a child at this point. That being said, I absolutely would. Children should be given free agency (to an extent), in my opinion, and that means being able to choose their hobbies for themselves. I wouldn't force games onto a child, but I would allow them the opportunity and encourage it. I'd give them recommendations, at least, and once they're old enough let them choose their own titles.

Will absolutely 100% let them play videogames, but first they will have to learn how to swim and at least one sports in real life for future physical condition. 

After that, sure! Will follow the common sense rating(they ain't getting no Soldiers of Fortune) but gaming is unavoidable in my family. I'd be surprised if my kids will NOT be interested in gaming. 

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 2

Well, it's gonna be his legacy to finish Crypt of the NecroDancer... ?

But in all seriousness... We are trying to not have screen time just yet (which is difficult due to the lockdown and us talking via skype with friends and family), but eventually, if the interest is there from his side, then I will definitely support a (monitored) approach to videogaming. It's been a while since I bought anything from Nintendo, but once my son is old enough, that's what I will go with for his first experience with games ?

• Like 3

Not going to be a factor for me because I decided I will never have kids. I can't stand a lot of them, especially in this day and age where they are being sheltered and overburdened. Kids in the 90s were better.

For a bit of history, I was one of those kids who played Duke Nukem 3D and other violent video games in a time when a lot of parents didn't understand them. Kids today can't do what I got away with, there's too much parental supervision and today's parents are basically my peers, around my age more or less, who have known video games since they were kids themselves.

I would definitely encourage your kids to play as long as you supervise them and monitor them. More importantly be a responsible parent.

• Like 1

We'll, right now i'm not planning to have childrens, but you never know how live could turn around.

I wouldn't have any problems with childs playing video games as long as they have a sense of responsability. As it is for myself, I never had bad grades or moments neither at school or university because of playing video games, because I knew all my limits and somehow, I didn't feel comfortable whenever I was playing and knowing that I could be studying or doing something else. 

Know I have a little bit for time for my games, so, why not enjoy them? 

Edited by BlackSnake1435

Having children is, probably, my biggest wish. However, I am already 33 and it hasn’t happened yet and I don’t know if it will ever happen.

If it happens, yes, I would be proud if they became gamers too. Being a gamer is something that is part of my identity, so how wouldn’t I want my children to become gamers too? 
I would definitely give them the consoles and the games that would be more appropriate for them, according to their age. I am even reluctant to delete the Spyro trilogy from my PS4, because I think these games would be lovely for my eventual future children! xD

I would love to have some real-life gaming partners, that could help me on some trophies! Of course school had to be their first concern, but I will expect them to be responsible, just like I was when I was still a student. 
But, yeah, having gamer children is almost like a dream of mine. ^_^

• Like 3

To be honest, I will make them play a few, and I will not let them play a lot , distracting them from studying and going out with friends and spending time. I am talking about the future because I am not married yet, but in this circumstance where the virus is widespread I advise that they spend time at home

• 2 weeks later...

You know, I ask myself this not to long ago. I have to admit, I was very lucky with my boys (twins). We played a lot of games together. But they never got as serious as I was. Which is good. They spend more time working on their homework. and watching videos on youtube. Which for the life of me I will never understand how kids these days can sit and watch others play games for hours. In my day that was you waiting your turn, and it sucked. 

• 2 years later...

Sure, but I dunno how they'd play video games from the kleenex in the bathroom garbage.  There isn't even a TV in there.

Seriously though... if I had kids, they'd no doubt be exposed to video games through me.  If they want to play, then they should play.  If they don't, I'd support whatever it is they like to do.  As long as they're having fun, not hurting anyone, and enjoying life.

Edited by Dreakon13

Of course but under the condition that they play it in English as I did ( so they learn it by playing and intuitively), but certain games I wouldnt allow which are designed to exploit the players money (FIFA, NBA).

Or Games like COD which run-and-gun-no-brain-but-aim.

Also considering that a lot of games today try push certain agendas I d also not want them to play those kind of games.