Buy sekiro without any souls-like experience?

Okay, so I'm thinking about buying the game because it looks good and I love the setting. But I haven't played any souls-like to this day... Would it be worth the money or will I drop it soon? I'm a fan of a challenge but only to a certain point, Hotline Miami, for example, was on the edge of what I am willing to do

You don’t really need a “souls” experience, since the combat it’s different, but expect a tough learning curve, once you overcome that, you’ll get it through just fine.

The game is really satisfying too, you’ll find pleasure in getting better at the game and beating bosses.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

You'll be fine. In some ways, playing the Souls games first would actually hamper your experience with Sekiro, as you'd have to unlearn some things.

But, obviously, go back and play the Souls games if you like it.

This is correct. I had played through all the Souls games before Sekiro and I had to seriously unlearn some basic reactions/muscle memory. 

• Like 1

My only 'Souls' experience before Sekiro was Bloodborne. Combat is completely different, the only real benefit of having played Soulsborne prior to Sekiro is the mental prep of knowing you're in for a total pasting most of the time. 

Once Sekiro clicked, I found it easier than Bloodborne. It will kick everybody's backside for the first few hours, but you get to a point which practically forces you to learn how to play the way it was intended, and once you pick it up it really takes the game to another level. Also makes you realise you can kick its backside in return.

Regardless, it's a phenomenal game OP, just get it. You're missing out on a great one if you don't.

• Like 1

I've just started it and previously I've platted/100%ed every souls game and, truth be told, I'm not liking the battle system so far, it feels like, unless you resort to some specific moves, parry, counters etc, even minibosses can give you hell. It seems to me that the previous From games had more freedom in coming up with your own strategy to tackle bosses/developing the character. At least it's my impression 3-4 hours into the game.

• Like 1

On 15/5/2020 at 6:49 PM, Adler_Style said:

Okay, so I'm thinking about buying the game because it looks good and I love the setting. But I haven't played any souls-like to this day... Would it be worth the money or will I drop it soon? I'm a fan of a challenge but only to a certain point, Hotline Miami, for example, was on the edge of what I am willing to do

I finished Dark Souls 1 just days before starting Sekiro, and for me it's completely different. You don't need previous souls-like experience because the combat is just completely different. The combat reminded me more of TERA Online because of the deflect system (similar to Perfect Block there).

Amazing game, beautiful setting, gorgeous combat, fantastic bosses. 100%d in 3 days so yeah I'd definetely recommend it! ?

Edited by mrrj46

On the contrary I'd say you have the advantage to enjoy the game for what it is and without having the muscle memory from the Souls games. It's a different genre than Souls (Sekiro = action over RPG) and playing Sekiro with the expectation of it being like Souls, well the expectation will not always be met. Since you haven't played any Souls games you don't have that expectation, so you can judge the game for what it is if you decide to play it. I think it's worth it!

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump this, folks, but given the fighting style is entirely different from the others, how would you say it'll fare for somebody who's completed 'Bloodborne,' 'Elden Ring,' and 'Demon's Souls' 100 percent? I keep thinking about this one lately and would love to give it a go but worry the parrying system will kick my ass too much.

32 minutes ago, Hornet said:

Nope, nothing like souls parry. Very polished and lenient. This game's boss fights are the best there is.

That's all I need to hear then cause I remember the parry system in one or two really punishing me and feeling impossible at times. I had hoped it would be fine-tuned here if it's such a consistent manner of the fighting style incorporated. Thanks for the reply!

5 hours ago, Creasy007 said:

Sorry to bump this, folks, but given the fighting style is entirely different from the others, how would you say it'll fare for somebody who's completed 'Bloodborne,' 'Elden Ring,' and 'Demon's Souls' 100 percent? I keep thinking about this one lately and would love to give it a go but worry the parrying system will kick my ass too much.

This is an unmissable game if you like FromSoft games.  Its a lot of fun.  Dark Souls 1 is really good as well.  There are plenty of cheese strats if you hit a wall.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, maisie666 said:

This is an unmissable game if you like FromSoft games.  Its a lot of fun.  Dark Souls 1 is really good as well.  There are plenty of cheese strats if you hit a wall.  

That makes it even more appealing to me then. Excellent. I have a stupidly large backlog of games but hoping to grab this as soon as it's on sale again. I can't wait to play it.

• Like 1

like others said. You dont need souls experience to play this because this game plays widely different than the core souls game. It puts emphasis on stealth, parry, tools and verticality to kill bosses and enemies  

and there are different skill trees as appose to allocating points to a stat

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...