Cleaning a PS4

LoveInHell

I have never cleaned the inside of my PS4 before but lately its been vrooming at nearly every game I start up without stopping. Its really, REALLY loud non-stop until I close the game. Its even loud when I’m on Netflix or Spotify.

Should I clean the inside to fix that? I’m kind of scared to do this and have been avoiding it because I don’t want to accidentally ruin my PS4... ? I’m not experienced with inside technology stuff at all.

2 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

I have never cleaned the inside of my PS4 before but lately its been vrooming at nearly every game I start up without stopping. Its really, REALLY loud non-stop until I close the game. Its even loud when I’m on Netflix or Spotify.

Should I clean the inside to fix that? I’m kind of scared to do this and have been avoiding it because I don’t want to accidentally ruin my PS4... 1f61e.png I’m not experienced with inside technology stuff at all.

It's likely the fan to prevent overheating. Is your PS4 in an enclosed area, like an entertainment center? 

Just now, PerryToxteth said:

It's likely the fan to prevent overheating. Is your PS4 in an enclosed area, like an entertainment center? 

Its in my room on my desk. Umm there isn’t much space behind my PS4, if that’s what you’re asking. Behind my PS4 there’s a bit of space and then a wall, same with the right side of my PS4.

5 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

The ps4 is incredibly easy to take apart and clean, you can follow a guide for it on ifixit

launch model https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Teardown/19493

slim model https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Slim+Teardown/73193

pro model https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Pro+Teardown/72946

I’ll keep this link. I’m going to try that compressed air thing first, I hope that’ll be enough.

1 hour ago, LoveInHell said:

I just use this at the sides of my PS?

Yes, just direct it into the vents. Does a great job of clearing dust which often causes fan noise. I would try that as a quick solution before disassembling, although the ifixit guides as posted above are also solid if you do want to do a more thorough cleaning.

• Like 1

As everyone says you can do the air spray/vacuuming/remove from enclosed space of ps4 or any of the easier stuff but if all else fails the problem 90% of the time it's the heat sensors are turning up fan to higher speed because chip is overheating on the  motherboard.

If you keep running it hot like this eventualy because of the constant high heat the board keeps warping & then you may get a bad solder connection & ps shuts down & you get the red light of death virus problem No Start.

So If not under warranty before that happens get in there clean it out/remove old heatsinks paste usualy it's dried out & not enough of it [probably why it's overheating].

Lots of good vids out there on webernet,need a few small screwdrivers/torks ones/Rubbing alchool to clean parts. Not all ps4 are the same.How to take apart a ps4 vid -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVzWK3H3iN4,There is others for the full how too's. 

Get some good paste like mx4 or arctic silver first.Just take your time,take photos of each step,mark were & type of screws.Worst part is making sure all the small patch cables are in the tabs & wire plugs are in properly.

It's only a machine,not life surgery try it yourself & maybe have fun with it. 

• Like 1