Don't like RPG games but this game has sucked me in for good!

ain_sr

I never really got the complaint about the combat being clunky with the exception of using the crossbow. I feel like people just got impatient with it since once you utilize dodging (I know that sounds like unhelpful "git gud" advice but I really don't mean it that way) and find out the enemies' openings to attack most of the fights even on Death March can be done without much issue as long as you don't try to rush them. It also helps to use oils and potions along with a good Mutagen build.

But yeah, glad you're enjoying it and trying to encourage others to play it. Remember to get those Gwent cards :P

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Redgrave said:

I never really got the complaint about the combat being clunky with the exception of using the crossbow.

Just a fun fact : I tried a crossbow build (for that trophy) after I have finished the entire game + DLCs and unlocked all the mutagens possible.

It is so disgustingly OP, you will feel like Doomguy with a rocket launcher on very easy mode with god mode activated xD 

I hated the crossbow too for the entire duration of the game, it really IS clunky but..Jesus that weapon can be disgustingly strong. CDPR really had fun with their game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Copanele said:

Ah and Gwent... Never thought i would love a cards minigame that much. 

I used to hate Gwent with a passion unknown to man but now I adore it. Spent more time hunting down every card than I did playing the main game.

But yeah, this game is phenomenal. I played it cause all of my friends were saying how good it was, and I loved it so much that I went and read all the books, played the first two games, and then replayed this one on death march. 

I always found that the combat ran very nicely. Especially compared with Witcher 1. I’ll never forget the image of Geralt swaying on the spot waving a sword above his head for as long as I live tbh ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RedDeadWitcher93 said:

I always found that the combat ran very nicely. Especially compared with Witcher 1. I’ll never forget the image of Geralt swaying on the spot waving a sword above his head for as long as I live tbh 1f602.png

Especially jumping attacks cracked me up so much in W1, Geralt hopping like a frog and killing an enemy 1m away from him. 

I should really pick up W2 agaim, never finished it. Again, awesome story byt punishing combat in that one... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ain_sr said:

I am not a fan of RPG mainly due to the meticulous micromanagement of items. I had got Witcher 3 GOTY on a great sale but only going into it now due to lockdown. I was surprised at how much I am enjoying this game, the characters and surprisingly the combat as well.

The game is quite infamous for its combat which is deemed to be clunky, however it's not as bad as people tell. Having played clunkier combats in old RE games for me this is a dance with the sword(s)! Besides I am playing on Death March difficulty as well that which the adrenaline pumping in and out of the game :P

To those who have shied away from this game because of it being an RPG please give it a try! The whole world and lore is awesome.

P.S: I am just Fvcking loving the side missions.

It's a phenomenal game mate! 

I'm actually working on a full Platinum guide behind the scenes, basically converting a speed run platinum guide into a concise video that's straight to the point and covers all missables etc.
Also all in 1 playthrough!

• Like 2

This game is the best game ever. I loved every second of it, the story is amazing, the amount of details there are is insane. They truly thought of EVERYTHING. Its been a few years and till this day I still find new things in this game, lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Copanele said:

Just a fun fact : I tried a crossbow build (for that trophy) after I have finished the entire game + DLCs and unlocked all the mutagens possible.

It is so disgustingly OP, you will feel like Doomguy with a rocket launcher on very easy mode with god mode activated xD 

I hated the crossbow too for the entire duration of the game, it really IS clunky but..Jesus that weapon can be disgustingly strong. CDPR really had fun with their game.

I often felt like it was situational, granted I mainly went for a melee build and mainly used it for flying monsters or enemies too far away. But if it was that broken then I'm sure I would have found it really helpful on Death March :P

On 5/16/2020 at 0:55 PM, Copanele said:

I agree, this game was absolutely phenomenal. Best RPG I have ever played in a long time. It might not appeal to everyone, but this is nr 1 best game I have ever played hands down. 

About combat... I never understood why people say it's clunky. Yeah it is no Devil may Cry level of fluidity but it is perfectly functional. Maybe the fact that i played the first witcher as well influenced my opinion - witcher 1 controls like a tank and you need a PhD degree to understand the goddamn combat. 

Also this might be a slight negative in the game - side missions are so friggin good you tend to forget about the main mission. That pan and goat sidequests at the beginning of the game really cracked me up. Bonus points if you catch the slight east european humor and jabs at folklore tales and superstitions. Ah and Gwent... Never thought i would love a cards minigame that much. 

Glad you are enjoying the game :) wait until you reach the DLCs, those are top notch quality. 

Oh my can't wait for the dlc then! As i can't play for a long stretch I think it t will easily take me another two weeks to reach there. Also the dlc which you can play while below 30 level, should I play it before completing the mains story? BTW I am playing on death march.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:23 PM, Redgrave said:

I never really got the complaint about the combat being clunky with the exception of using the crossbow. I feel like people just got impatient with it since once you utilize dodging (I know that sounds like unhelpful "git gud" advice but I really don't mean it that way) and find out the enemies' openings to attack most of the fights even on Death March can be done without much issue as long as you don't try to rush them. It also helps to use oils and potions along with a good Mutagen build.

But yeah, glad you're enjoying it and trying to encourage others to play it. Remember to get those Gwent cards :P

Well I am currently sucking at it , perhaps I have not gotten the strategic nuances behind it. Will work on it soon. My money is currently mostly utilized on food for now, getting hang of the enemy types slowly.

22 minutes ago, ain_sr said:

Oh my can't wait for the dlc then! As i can't play for a long stretch I think it t will easily take me another two weeks to reach there. Also the dlc which you can play while below 30 level, should I play it before completing the mains story? BTW I am playing on death march.

I would say for the best experience, play Hearts of Stone once you reach the moment where you have all the sorceresses available and Blood and Wine right after the main story. They are intended to be played after the main quest but you can start them anytime really

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Copanele said:

I would say for the best experience, play Hearts of Stone once you reach the moment where you have all the sorceresses available and Blood and Wine right after the main story. They are intended to be played after the main quest but you can start them anytime really

Agreed with above. I did the same. I played HoS during the middle of my play through once I was levelled enough, and BaW afterwards. Wherever you decide to play HoS, playing BaW after the main story is the canon and I’d highly recommend doing that. It’s a beautiful end to Geralt’s journey, and the cutscene you get at the end of the DLC is determined by the choices you made in your main story. 

The Witcher 3 is definitely a must-play, and it's one of my favourites! Everything from the main storyline, visuals, soundtrack, to the side quests is fantastic. It took me about a year of regularly playing to finish the main story, and I had Hearts of Stone done not too long afterwards. I'm working on Blood & Wine at the moment, and it has blown all the other regions out of the water (for me). The difference between Toussaint and Velen is night and day. Velen can seem very "muddy" and unhappy, judging from the characters' behaviours and the atmosphere, whereas Toussaint is so vibrant and lively. I'm really taking my time with the game because I don't want it to end. At least I plan on playing it on Death March in the future, and the game world is massive, so plenty to explore!

Only semi-con I can think of is that it's missing a photo mode feature, which would have been amazing for a game this stunning. ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mayellie said:

The Witcher 3 is definitely a must-play, and it's one of my favourites! Everything from the main storyline, visuals, soundtrack, to the side quests is fantastic. It took me about a year of regularly playing to finish the main story, and I had Hearts of Stone done not too long afterwards. I'm working on Blood & Wine at the moment, and it has blown all the other regions out of the water (for me). The difference between Toussaint and Velen is night and day. Velen can seem very "muddy" and unhappy, judging from the characters' behaviours and the atmosphere, whereas Toussaint is so vibrant and lively. I'm really taking my time with the game because I don't want it to end. At least I plan on playing it on Death March in the future, and the game world is massive, so plenty to explore! 

Only semi-con I can think of is that it's missing a photo mode feature, which would have been amazing for a game this stunning. 1f60d.png

Toussaint is far and away my favourite region in the game. Beauclair is beyond beautiful. Skellige is a close second for me. The music is so peaceful there.

And I agree about the photo mode. I’d sell my soul for CDPR to patch it in. The photos you could capture would be out of this world, especially if you caught Geralt mid combat ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ain_sr said:

Well I am currently sucking at it , perhaps I have not gotten the strategic nuances behind it. Will work on it soon. My money is currently mostly utilized on food for now, getting hang of the enemy types slowly.

It mainly just comes down to watching their attack patterns and seeing an opening. I know it sounds basic but that's really all it is although some enemies like to trip you up or it might be hard to tell sometimes. There was one fight I remember where I felt like I couldn't get an opening at all and on Death March the monster killed me really quickly so I just left it until I could lower the difficulty post-game. I assumed it was a bug though, but maybe it wasn't and I was just using the wrong strategy. And yeah, health items are important, but also be sure to make potions like Thunderbolt and Swallow and to get the formulas to enhance them when you can.

• Like 1