50000 point on Mahjong

Kazuma_Kiryu1996

This is impossible. Even at the beginner table. I played hours and hours. It seems that I'm playing at the expert level. I don't know how to play well, just a little. I don't know when to steal tiles or refuse the chi or pon. The tutorials didn't help me. This minigame is just too hard and complicate. I need only this for the plat.

• Like 1

Im no expert but i can give some tips. Try not to steal , its way harder to get a winning hand with stolen tiles. Hit the (i think) square button every turn to check if you can Richii (could be other button) . Throw away dragons (green , red white) and the Wind cards (west , east , north ,south) as soon as you only have one of these and other players throw them away. Try to throw away lose endings of a row : like you have 1  , 5, 7. 8 . throw away the 1 . its more likly you get a combination with rest of these tiles.

If you call Richii , choose for the combination with the most possibilitys for last tile (i think it shows on top right) .

Sure its luck based . but if you dont steal and dont loose many points in most rounds , than you only have to win one or to big hands . 

I think there is an option to play 8 rounds instead of 4 . I think its better way for the 50k , because most rounds you dont really lose many points but if you win a Hand you earn lots of points.

Like i said im no expert , but with these few strats i was able to get most of the Mahjong trophies in the Yakuza games.

I’ve always found the stealing rules confusing so I will only steal if I have a triplet of a dragon or a wind, and once I’ve stolen once I will steal for the rest of the hand because I’m exposed anyway. That will usually get me some cheap 1 Han wins. It’s not a lot of points but every little bit helps!

The important thing to remember when stealing tiles is that a hand always needs at least one valid combination to declare a win. Several combinations are invalid with steals and others score less with steals. Stealing can help you complete hands faster or more easily which can be helpful when you're a new player - just make sure you have a valid combo. A hand without 1s, 9s, winds and dragons (so 2-8 number tiles only) counts as a combination and, if you play with the Kuitan option on, this will be valid with steals.

However you really need to get a few big wins to reach 50k so you'll want hands with multiple combinations. Declare Riichi when your hand is one away from being complete - that counts as a combination and has potential for bonuses. Make a hand with sequence sets (e.g. 234, 678) that is more efficient and gives Pinfu which can combine with other combos. Learn to use the Dora system (and red fives) and use those bonus tiles where possible.

When your character's wind is east, you play an extra hand as east again if you get a winning hand (another opportunity to score). So, if you're east and you have a bad hand, try stealing tiles to get a quick cheap win to stay on as east. A quick win can sometimes block an opponent from getting a win too.

You'll need to learn to defend against other players - especially after they declare Riichi - to avoid losing points. The simplest form of defence is to discard tiles that match ones that the Riichi player has discarded or ones that anyone has discarded since the Riichi declaration. (One disadvantage of stealing is that it locks tiles in open sets and reduces the number you have available for defence.)

Check my article here if you haven't seen it. It's a beginner's guide which includes which combinations are most common (and which are valid with steals), Pinfu requirements, basic defence, hand building, completion tips, etc.

https://yakuza.fandom.com/wiki/Mahjong

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Can someone explain the hand I need to wind with 1 tile?

I have gotten 2 similar hands that I think should have won.

One was: Revealed (1-2-3) (3-4-5) (1-2-3) (6-7-8) in my hand was a 7 and then I picked up a 7 which should have been Tsumo.

Am I missing some rule since I do not normally pick up tiles.

• 2 weeks later...

I just pon’d 3 dragon tiles and then stole everything else. Took a while, but luck smiled upon me.

On 7/19/2020 at 3:44 PM, sepheroithisgod said:

Can someone explain the hand I need to wind with 1 tile?

I have gotten 2 similar hands that I think should have won.

One was: Revealed (1-2-3) (3-4-5) (1-2-3) (6-7-8) in my hand was a 7 and then I picked up a 7 which should have been Tsumo.

Am I missing some rule since I do not normally pick up tiles.

Unfortunately that doesn’t qualify as a valid hand due to the sequence AND double 7. If your hand was hidden, which would null the trophy, it would’ve been a win. Keep in mind that winning is much harder with an open hand. Try getting 3 dragon tiles (you can Pon one), then try stealing and you should be able to win.

A winning hand needs at least one combination - and some combos are invalid when you start stealing tiles (for the trophy).

One of the simplest (!) combinations is called All Simples (or Tanyao). This requires a hand where all the tiles are numbered suit tiles between 2 and 8 inclusive (no 1s or 9s). This combination is valid in a hand with steals if you have the Kuitan rule option enabled.

The other easiest combo is to have a scoring triplet set of three matching dragons (red, white or green) or three matching winds (black kanji). To give a valid combination, the winds must be either the current round-wind (shown in the centre of the screen) or your current seat-wind (shown next to your name). As Fear said, once you have a matching pair of these, you can usually use a Pon/Pung call to steal the third to complete the set and give you a combination.

• 3 months later...

Just got the 50K score requirement out of the way tonight. I am no means expert at Mahjong like Taro Suzuki, yet knowing all the winning han variations and rules but got the Mahjong completions done on 4 Yakuza games as of now (0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, and 3) so just wanted to share some tips, my personal thoughts here. Short reminder that if an average person like me can do it, then you can also do it too (but first, make sure to read the Mahjong Completion guide for Yakuza 0 to have a general knowledge).

Rules - Half-length game, Kuitan: ON, Two Han Minimum: OFF, Red Dora: ON

1) Keep an eye to the open tile in the middle as that'll be an indicator of that hand's rewarding dora tile. E.g. if the first open tile visible is 二 (Japanese number 2), then the rewarding dora will likely be 三 (Japanese number 3). Having Red Dora tiles in your hand or a pair of 2/three of a kind of that dora tile will also help on earning additional Hans.

2) DO NOT STEAL TILES. Game will prompt the stealing options Pon, Chi or Kan throughout the hand, asking you for stealing opponent's discarded tiles but unless you're going for "Exposed Dragon" trophy (you have to turn Two Han: ON from OFF though), I don't recommend stealing tiles. You'll also lose your Riichi call option on that hand too.

3) Riichi, riichi, riichi! Riichi is very important in Mahjong. It's basically a declaration statement made before you're 1 tile away from a concealed hand, provided that you didn't steal any tile throughout the hand. You bet 1000 points, and after declaring Riichi if that required tile either comes drawing a tile (Tsumo) or stealing from the opponent's discarded tile (Ron), you will win the hand. Don't forget to press the square button when it's your turn in the hand, as the game will calculate the possibility of Riichi statement better than your judgement. If you're lucky enough, you can also get "Ippatsu" on the Riichi statement for an extra Han. Ippatsu means you either draw, or steal one of the required tile at the same turn when declaring a Riichi. If you don't get that tile in that turn, Ippatsu will be automatically cancelled. There's also a possibility of getting a Double Riichi, but will require lots of luck. For declaring Double Riichi, you'll need to have an ready hand for Riichi in the very beginning of the game (on your first turn before discarding a single tile).

4) Going for some specific tiles/hands for additional Hans. Since you need to have 50,000 point or more before the placement bonuses add up, you need to focus on collecting as many Hans (points are calculated from Hans) as you can. When the hand starts, have a look at your tiles and see whether you can go for a specific hand through that hand (e.g. if you have bunch of different numbers from one type, you can try going for a full straight hand (set from tiles 1-9 in a single suit + a sequence/three of a kind + a pair). The simplest hand for going out for additional Hans is either All Simple Tiles, where you have sequences/three of a kinds/pairs of through numbers 2-8, while not having the capital numbers 1 & 9 and any Honour tiles (Dragons and Winds) or No Points Hand. Refer to the Mahjong Completion guide for Yakuza 0 for the possible hands, and Han values of those.

5) Honour tiles (depending on your hand). Having a three of a kind for an either one of the Dragon tiles, or the Wind tiles will reward you with extra Han provided that you win that hand. You can have a three of a kind from Green Dragon tiles, and also a three of a kind from North tiles in your winning hand, you'll earn 1 Han from Green Dragon, and another 1 Han from North as well. 

6) Be careful when discarding tiles! Always keep a track of the opposing sides discards. When one of the opponent's declare Riichi, then try discarding tiles according to those tiles discarded previously. Loosing points from giving away that final tile/Ron to an opponent is the last thing we want, and it might cost you a lot of points depending on their hands/tiles.

Optional - Try going for 13 orphans hand. 13 orphans hand is consisting of Bamboo, Japanese numbers, and dots 1 & 9, all 4 wind tiles, all 3 Dragon Tiles + one extra from these tiles. This will require some luck though. Personally, I didn't get a 13 orphans hand so no need to worry about this one.

I hope this helps people out, and I was able to explain this clearly.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...