PS4 is too hot (overheating) how can i fix this?

Akeachi

Hi, I have an original PS4 (I mean the model that released in 2013) that I bought in 2016. Recently my PS4 has been overheating a lot, even though I have in an open space with a fan next to it

I try to clean my PS4 every 2-3 weeks

This issue first occurred on Resident Evil 2 Remake which my PS4 can't handle, it instantly overheats as soon as I enter the menu. Even though I've been able to play it about 3 months ago.

Now it's happening to me even on Overwatch! Which is a cel-shaded game

Isn't there a way to fix it?

Deep clean it and reapply thermal compound 

- Watch teardown youtube or whatever follow it
- Compressed air for bigger stuff, Isopropyl Alcohol moist cotton swabs for finer things (NOT WET! moist) love of god dont soak your boards
- When its all torn apart the CPU and Heatsink will be separated pea sized thermal compound bing bang boom 

Edited by mackenzie129

Huh. My original also overheated to the point that I had to reapply thermal because of RE2 Remake. That game killed my paste. Also AC Odyssey. But after new paste its like better than new!! My system can run 24/7 quiet!!! And only warm to touch. Its been hot; summer. Gonna stress test it for sure. Heh

12 hours ago, Parker said:

How exactly do you clean your system? Are you using compressed air or simply wiping dirt/dust away? Also, do you have your system sitting vertically or horizontally?

Parker

I just wipe the dust away from the outside with something a little dry, I also use a gadget that shoots air (I know that sounded silly but that's the best I can explain since I don't know it's name?) to try and get the dust out from inside the PS4 but it doesn't

Also I have it set vertically, but the thing is my room's temperature is high (Iraq's temperature rn is from 28-42°C depending on the time of the day) but I have a fan next to my PS4.

12 hours ago, mackenzie129 said:

Deep clean it and reapply thermal compound 

- Watch teardown youtube or whatever follow it
- Compressed air for bigger stuff, Isopropyl Alcohol moist cotton swabs for finer things (NOT WET! moist) love of god dont soak your boards
- When its all torn apart the CPU and Heatsink will be separated pea sized thermal compound bing bang boom 

11 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Huh. My original also overheated to the point that I had to reapply thermal because of RE2 Remake. That game killed my paste. Also AC Odyssey. But after new paste its like better than new!! My system can run 24/7 quiet!!! And only warm to touch. Its been hot; summer. Gonna stress test it for sure. Heh

I already know about changing the thermal compound but I'm afraid I'll break my PS4? and since it's lockdown rn I can't go to a professional, there isn't even one in the city I live in, I'd have to travel to another city if I want to get it cleaned by a professional. So is there another solution?

4 minutes ago, Akeachi said:

I just wipe the dust away from the outside with something a little dry, I also use a gadget that shoots air (I know that sounded silly but that's the best I can explain since I don't know it's name1f602.png) to try and get the dust out from inside the PS4 but it doesn't

Also I have it set vertically, but the thing is my room's temperature is high (Iraq's temperature rn is from 28-42°C depending on the time of the day) but I have a fan next to my PS4.

I already know about changing the thermal compound but I'm afraid I'll break my PS41f605.png and since it's lockdown rn I can't go to a professional, there isn't even one in the city I live in, I'd have to travel to another city if I want to get it cleaned by a professional. So is there another solution?

There are great teardown steps on ifixit

The ps4 is pretty easy to take apart and clean, just follow the steps and you'll be fine. 

Edited by SnowxSakura

10 hours ago, Akeachi said:

I already know about changing the thermal compound but I'm afraid I'll break my PS41f605.png and since it's lockdown rn I can't go to a professional, there isn't even one in the city I live in, I'd have to travel to another city if I want to get it cleaned by a professional. So is there another solution?

Yeah, get a A/C unit. That temp is way too hot anyways. A fan wont help much if the air blasted to it is gonna be hot...
I know you said you use a compressed can of air to try to to get dust out of those holes, well...if you dont use it right, you are just blowing the dust back into the system and clogging up the heat sink which will make it worse to dissipate the actual heat down the line.

And I won't lie, you are going to break something for sure opening up the PS4 the first time, the damn thing is held together super tight, and prying it open will break some of the clips that holds it tightly together. But they arent a big deal. xD Good luck.