Recommend me an action RPG to play.

ObsceneSociopath

Having just finished up Soul Calibur 6 & The Division 2 faster than I expected I've found myself at a bit of a loss as to what to play to tide me over until The Last of Us Part II next month.

Ideally I fancy playing an action RPG, something in the vein of Witcher 3 (brilliant story, open world exploration with level up & gear mechanics etc) would be ideal. I don't mind what time period the game is set in, I just used Witcher as an example as that sums up what I'm looking for nicely. 

I have considered Darksiders as I have the Warmastered Edition but having played it  already on the Xbox 360, something new would be preferable.

Obviously you can check my profile to see what games I've played.

Its my first time trying a thread like this so all suggestions are welcome!

What about GreedFall? It is a great RPG. You can try something from BioWare - Mass Effect: Andromeda or Dragon Age: Inquisition, but they pale in comparison to the Witcher you have mentioned. Final Fantasy VII Remake and XV are worth a try, if you go with XV, then get the Royal Edition. I recommend The Outer Worlds as well.

Something harder? Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne, but it's a bit farfetched of a recommendation.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

FF7 Remake seems like an easy choice to me. 

I've considered FF7 a few times but I also know that while it's a self contained game, it's still only the first part of who knows how many games & ends just as the original game opens up so for that reason alone I'm holding off on it for a while longer.

12 minutes ago, Iksde said:

What about GreedFall? It is a great RPG. You can try something from BioWare - Mass Effect: Andromeda or Dragon Age: Inquisition, but they pale in comparison to the Witcher you have mentioned. Final Fantasy VII Remake and XV are worth a try, if you go with XV, then get the Royal Edition. I recommend The Outer Worlds as well.

Something harder? Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne, but it's a bit farfetched of a recommendation.

I'm waiting on FF7 for now, it is on my to play list but further down the line. FFXV I've already done (got it for release & all its DLC) & I throughly enjoyed it, just disappointed its final 3 DLCs with the true ending got cancelled.

I'm contemplating Andromeda actually & it helps that its currently on sale for just £4! 

If Dragon Age Inquisition plays like the earlier games in the series, then I probably won't like it. I only finished Origins on Xbox because I paid for it, didn't bother with 2 as I just wasn't feeling it.

A friend of mine wants to lend me The Outer Worlds as he loves it, just gotta wait for the lockdown to lift so I can get it from him haha.

Not a fan of Soulsborne games yet I love The Surge series & Salt & Sanctuary so maybe I'm just picky.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Edited by ObsceneSociopath

Dark souls 1-3, nioh 1-2, greedfall, bound by flame, dragonball  z kakarot,horizon zero dawn, nier automata, star wars jedi fallen, code vein,ni no kuni 2 there r more ofc. But personaly i would pick dark souls 1-3 and nioh 1-2.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ObsceneSociopath said:

I've considered FF7 a few times but I also know that while it's a self contained game, it's still only the first part of who knows how many games & ends just as the original game opens up so for that reason alone I'm holding off on it for a while longer.

I'm waiting on FF7 for now, it is on my to play list but further down the line. FFXV I've already done (got it for release & all its DLC) & I throughly enjoyed it, just disappointed its final 3 DLCs with the true ending got cancelled.

I'm contemplating Andromeda actually & it helps that its currently on sale for just £4! 

If Dragon Age Inquisition plays like the earlier games in the series, then I probably won't like it. I only finished Origins on Xbox because I paid for it, didn't bother with 2 as I just wasn't feeling it.

A friend of mine wants to lend me The Outer Worlds as he loves it, just gotta wait for the lockdown to lift so I can get it from him haha.

Not a fan of Soulsborne games yet I love The Surge series & Salt & Sanctuary so maybe I'm just picky.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I am writing from my phone, so I am sorry in advance for mistakes and such - my phone's language is not set to English at the moment. 

Get Andromeda if you have the opportunity to get it cheap. It's a vastly underrated game in my opinion. 

DA: Inquisition is a blend of previous games. Gameplay-wie, its closest kin would be Mass Effect with a tactical pause. 

The Outer Worlds is fantastic, even through I have yet to finish it. It is compared to Fallout games, but the map design and overall gameplay remind me of Knights of the Old Republic rather Fallout games - without lightsabers and with amazing sense of humour. 

I checked your profile and you have nothing from the soulsborne series. I'd start there without a doubt, you can buy everything outside of Demon's Souls on the ps4, and sales can give you cheap prices. All of them have one of the best gear and character customisation in the last decade, the world is beloved  by many and the story could be argued, as it's not told to you like in other RPGs, but you need to figure it out yourself connecting the dots, item descriptions, various lore informations etc.

Dragon Age goes the other direction, focusing more on telling a story, rather than gameplay, Origins is the one most beloved by the fans, but I found it a buggy mess when I went for the platinum, it also has too many DLCs  which irks completionist, Dragon Age Inquisition is easier to get, just buying the complete edition on the store.

Skyrim is also a must-have in my opinion when talking about ARPG, and you can get all DLCs on the ps4 version.

Diablo 3 also puts extra emphasis on gear and customisation, In the same vein, Titan Souls is a Diablo-like (dungeon crawler) arpg  set in mythological  Greece

Dragon's Dogma is kind of a Witcher and Dark Souls hybrid, alongside character classes reminiscent of old Final Fantasy games

Lords of the Fallen is another arpg that took inspiration from the  Soulsborne series, made by the same creators of the Surge

Mass Effect is Dragon Age in space, I heard there was a remaster of the trilogy planned

Tales of  (word) is a japanese action RPG series, with anime-like designs

Fallout is a action rpg-shooter hybrid like Borderlands, but  with clunkier combat.

That kinda covers it.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh